Inferno Red 74 Duster!

-
I'm wiring up my dash! I modified the stock dash wiring with a plug I got from an old hacked up underhood harness. I cleaned up some ground wires I had done poorly before too. Had i not broke my gauge cluster I'd be doing the final install on this today.
Cley
20180209_123244.jpg

It' ready to install. I hate the indicating lights but I'm stuck with them for now. Maybe redo it next winter?

Cley
20180216_114604.jpg

So here's where it's at. A-998 is out, A-500 is bolted up to the engine but that is all. I still need to build a cross member to hold the back of the transmission which will be easier than I was anticipating now that I see it. I also have to build the control system for the OD and LU system, redo the cooler lines and add the trans cooler but there looks to be lots of room for that. Then I need to finish up the Dash and console, clean up the wiring under the hood with a relay/fuse box, and finally get my AC lines made and that system finished. That's just so I can drive it by the time the roads are dry this spring.

Cley
20180316_150612.jpg
20180318_133816.jpg
20180318_133910.jpg

Transmission is in. This is not the final iteration of my cross member. I will fab something better. This will hold it in place for now and does allow me to trace for the dimensions I needed to build a nice cross member. It lowers the mount for the spool mount 2.5" and another .5" lower from the mod to the spool mount itself
20180323_145226.jpg

20180323_114724.jpg

And my under hood AC components are almost complete. I just need a Reman compressor and an expansion valve since none of the 3 I purchased so far will work.
AC7.jpg

DRIER HOSES ATTACHED.jpg

EVAPORATOR INLET HOSE.jpg

CONDENSOR OUTLET HOSE ATTACHED.jpg

CONDENSOR .jpg

Cley

I got my AC parts installed! Just need to do something with the temp sensor wire on the expansion valve and get it charged up! Come on warm weather!
20180407_140924.jpg

20180407_140936.jpg

I also built a new transmission cross member to replace that Frankenstein piece of crap I built initially. It uses a GM style transmission mount which broke the bank at a cost of about 8 bucks! It is not quite complete but close. I am so looking forward to driving this car again! I just need to do all the OD/LU controls and fill all the fluids, and clean up the wiring and cooler lines and, and, and.........

Cley

20180408_174552.jpg

20180408_123729.jpg

AC parts installed, A-500 trans and supporting equipment installed, replacement gauges that are in a spot I can actually see, replaced the blacked out grille with a silver one. I'm still on the fence about the grille, but I'll know when I get it outside and cleaned up! I just need to reinstall the steering column and finish off the console and shifter and it will be drivable again! Just in time too since we are finally supposed to get spring like weather. Honestly we have only had a few days above freezing this year. 19 degrees C for Saturday though! I just hope I can drive it down the muddy back alley on the frost in the morning.
Cley
20180414_104156.jpg
20180414_104211.jpg
20180414_131400.jpg
20180414_131418.jpg
20180414_150617.jpg
20180316_150612.jpg

OD transmission install complete! Just needs some tuning on the controls! Eventually I'll hide this ugly mess somewhere but right now the underhood area of my car looks like **** anyway so it fits right in!!!
20180417_185128.jpg

AC under hood component install is finally 100% complete. Now I just need to charge it and see if it works! No need for AC yet but soon I hope. Saskatchewan weather is all over the place. Not long ago it looked like we could be ice fishing on the May long weekend, and now the snow is almost all gone and it's drying up great.
20180420_101546.jpg

I can finally see all my gauges. The speedo is not working so I'll have to figure that out. When it powers up, it does a sweep to max and then back to 0, but that is all it does. I must have missed something there. Also the in dash turn signal lights don't work. Not sure how I screwed that up.
20180421_183711.jpg

I am super happy to be driving it again. Likely the first day it was fit weather wise, I was out for a cruise. That is a win in my books.

Cley

do you still have your old 19" radiator...is it a Mopar or aftermarket?

Overdrive shifts great! Still needs a bit of tweaking to get it perfect but I am super happy so far. The exhaust is rattling on the trans cross member at idle so it will need more of a dent. The power steering/water pump belt decided to part company with the pulleys on the way home from football practice last night, but I am so glad to be back driving my Duster again!

Cley

I think all the leaks and rattles are dealt with (for now lol) so after as good a tune as I can throw at it this Friday, I'm off to the local drag strip for street legal drag night! According to the penalty box created for "the small block race" on here, I am gunning for 13.6 as the car currently sits. I for 1 will be happy to get a couple runs in and learn a little. I'm curious, but not too concerned with the time quite yet. I will post my time slips anyway even if they are embarrassing. This is my first time at a drag strip as a competitor so I am looking forward to it! I will drive the car there and back, but my wife thinks she should follow with the truck and trailer "Just in case"!
Cley

It's Mopar And yes I still have it. I thinking was recored to a 3 core.
Cley

If you would like to sell it...as -is. I would be interested.

I am doing a restoration and need that particular radiator to rebuild from.

Well, I'm struggling with my tune on my Duster. It would only run a best of 16.4 at 84mph. I know it should do way better than that. The burn outs were epic though!

I spent all day Friday messing around with it and it's actually worse now. I screwed my idle up somehow. It now idles too high in neutral and wants to die in gear. I have to start from scratch. Set TDC with the piston stop. Get a real timing number, and then maybe I'll have a baseline to work from. I knew I needed to do this but I don't want the car to be down because I only get so little time with the car. Dammit, it's cruising time!

The only positive thing I got accomplished this weekend is packaging up the Radiator for Denny. I'll get it shipped out Friday at the latest.

I did find a motor to build too. Not sure the year of the block, but it's a .030 over 360 with flat top pistons and an MP 508 cam (short block only). I feel I am getting it for a sweet deal so I'll go pick it up this week. I'll re-bearing and re-ring it likely because it has been sitting for a few years. Hopefully my current engine will last the summer, no reason it shouldn't, then I'll have this other one ready for next spring. Likely not using that cam as I don't think it's too streetable but not sure.

Cley

that's great news for the Flash.... sheetmetal mostly painted and buffed now. Just a few tidbits left to do, like the top of the snorkle scoop to red. I'm grateful for the radiator, just let me know what I owe.

-
Back