Info and help Re: wiper transmission

-

Nite Moves

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart. When I got it all was disassembeled. It came with a 3 speed wiper motor but 2 speed switch? I got a 2 speed motor and all works. I believe my problem now is the transmission. Ive been reading and searching but still unsure. Is there a difference in the 2 speed and 3 speed wiper transmission? Is it just the piece that goes to the W/motor crank? I have like said,2speed motor,switch and bushing but the bushing and transmission arm don't want to work at wiper motor crank. Thanks for any clarification....:coffee2:

I've never had both 2 speed and 3 speed 67 wiper linkage on the bench at the same time so I cant say for sure if there is any other difference besides the one bushing at pitman arm. Steve aka 4spragtop may have found that answer during his build.
Good luck

I've never had both 2 speed and 3 speed 67 wiper linkage on the bench at the same time so I cant say for sure if there is any other difference besides the one bushing at pitman arm. Steve aka 4spragtop may have found that answer during his build.
Good luck

Thanks RedFish, The problem with my 67 it has /had a lot of 73 up parts on it. Other than the doors and front end components its all back to 67 or very close to that year. This is what my main struggle was. Getting 67 stuff and finding out at times it wouldn't work unless I got other parts to match. I will PM Steve, thanks again, Edd

Good luck

Thanks Ben, I don't think I had all the linkages out at the same time to compare. I think it was one linkage piece at a time.

BUT in my mind the linkages shouldn't be any different from 2 to 3spd?? Im thinking that the only differences from 2 spd VS 3 spd would be in the switch and motor.
Of course there are the differences in years as well.

Ed post pics and more info if you can. What kind of bushings does the linkage have?

One thing you asked was about the wiper transmission.
The wipers motors are wired inside to provide different speed depending on which wire windings are powered, so there is no physical gearing or transmission except for where the motor itself drives a worm gear setup to move the lever around in circles.
Speed are all determined by which wires the switch sends power to.

I know it would probably be a pain the behind at this point, but I'd bet if you pulled the stuff you had questions about and posted pictures, we could tell you what you need.

One thing you asked was about the wiper transmission.
The wipers motors are wired inside to provide different speed depending on which wire windings are powered, so there is no physical gearing or transmission except for where the motor itself drives a worm gear setup to move the lever around in circles.
Speed are all determined by which wires the switch sends power to.

I know it would probably be a pain the behind at this point, but I'd bet if you pulled the stuff you had questions about and posted pictures, we could tell you what you need.

Thanks, I will try and do that..Dam shes like -35celcius with windchill today..LOL

Here are a few pics.First two are at the top and the last 2 are at motor and crank. The problem seems to be that the crank stud is to short or im nutz. I put the bushing in from behind and in the front. Im stumped. Do i have the arm in correctly? Bushing in back or front? I do recall the 3 speed motor I had, Its crank had a longer stud on it. BUT the slotted hole was to big to go on a 2 speed motor. part #s for motor (2speed) #3431730 crank # 3431741 no # on bushing to be found. The Dart is very close to go in for safety, hoping early spring. This is why im asking ? Hope im not sounding to daft..........Thanks all..sorry but couldnt take all apart. With having the surgery on my nose it gets really painfull when its very cold out.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 113
  • 005.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 95
  • 006.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 007.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 97
the arm that attaches to the motor is different between the 2 speed & the 3 speed units-- thus the different bushing, it changes the clocking between the motor 7 the arms.

I mentioned that to you when we swapped the bushings.
I think I still have the 2 speed arm, I'll see if i can take some photos to assist, Lawrence

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIPER-DRIVE...N-MOPAR-/381159623617?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

2 speed wiper drive arm.

I think you have that bushing in backwards, the 3 prongs hold the wiper blade in pace as the motor turns-- you look to have no way of holding the arm still --so it spins as the motor turns.
ok went out to the parts stash, the pics show a 2 speed bushing on a 69 dart arm, the white bushing is a 3 speed/varispeed unit-- notice the hole vs the circle orientation.
I do not have a crank arm for the 3 speed unit-- but the slot is orientated different from 2 speeds.

Lawrence

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 003.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 004.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 71
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIPER-DRIVE...N-MOPAR-/381159623617?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

2 speed wiper drive arm.

I think you have that bushing in backwards, the 3 prongs hold the wiper blade in pace as the motor turns-- you look to have no way of holding the arm still --so it spins as the motor turns.
ok went out to the parts stash, the pics show a 2 speed bushing on a 69 dart arm, the white bushing is a 3 speed/varispeed unit-- notice the hole vs the circle orientation.
I do not have a crank arm for the 3 speed unit-- but the slot is orientated different from 2 speeds.

Lawrence

Lawrence, thanks. If its a bit warmer tommorow i'll go out and look around and play with it some......

-
Back