Inner axle seals

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
Since inner seal leakage is fairly common on the 8 3/4" axle due to wear on the axle shafts, I was wondering if it would be possible to install two seals in each tube to double your leakage protection.

The first seal in would rest in the normal location and the second seal would butt up against the first. I don't foresee any issues with axle clearances so would this work or am I completely insane?

All thoughts/speculation is appreciated! :)

they would both wear the same amount...i would think it would be pointless..it would be like replacing one wiper blade...they both go swish the same amount of times

Agreed, Same thing with a bad wheel bearing on a front wheel drive car. I can diagnose which side its on but they both have the same number of miles on them. I always recomend replacing both.
As for those rear axle seals... never expect the gear oil to lube the bearings and seals. You'll burn them up before you get out the driveway. I pack axle bearings and seals with a heavy grease (white lithium sometimes). The gear oil has a hard time getting past my grease barrier in order to leak.

My theory is that most axles as old as the ones in our cars will have a slight groove worn into them where the seal rides... if you added a second seal outboard of the original one, it would be riding on a fresh piece of axle and therefore would potentially have no leakage.

No?

What I did was go to green bearings with a built in seal, and then I still used the old inner seal as well. No leaks now for 2 years, but very little miles.
I did use 2 seals on my old 3.0 caravan to stop cam shaft oil leak, and it worked, as you said a new surface might be the cure.

My theory is that most axles as old as the ones in our cars will have a slight groove worn into them where the seal rides... if you added a second seal outboard of the original one, it would be riding on a fresh piece of axle and therefore would potentially have no leakage.

No?
That makes a lot of sense. Reminds me of the offset bearings I had to use in a GM rear end where the axles were worn.

I think it would work well. Double leak protection!
Since we are talking about axle seals, does anyone have a part# for the 8 3/4inner axle seal?

No?

This is exactly what I was thinking. As long as it fits without interference with something else it should help.

if you had a groove from the seal...putting another seal on that same location would do nothing...the other seal would work because its riding on a different and cleaner surface...just use 1 seal on the clean surface.....2 seals does nothing...they both wear out the same amount....the next seal would leak very soon after the 1st...

-
Back