Input on my 318 combo & valvetrain

-

73beast

Reaction score
Putting together my 318, machine shop work is all done, been preping the block and parts measuring etc. Combo is:
, '73 318 .040 over
, stock rods, stock crank
, mildon standard vol oil pump
, keith black (flat tops) 167-0.04
, machine shop balanced rotating assembly
, comp cam xe284H (used w/15,000 miles or so matching and placemarked used lifters) specs: 240-i/246-e duration @ .050 110.0 lobe sep .507-i/.510-e lift.
, Stock rockers
, plan on ordering Brian's IMM RHS heads (59cc's if possible)
, TTI headers
, Edl AirGap intake
, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-1406/?gclid=CNj8wduByLMCFWrZQgodeiUAqw have this carb, used, lying around that i plan to start it out with... not my faveorite carb.

Asked my machinist to deck it to 0 deck height, was at stock deck height, but after he lightly milled it to straighten the deck the kb-167s were already a hair out of the hole when mocked up???...
10.6-1 Static (8.12-1 Dynamic) CR goal on pump gas. I think thats it. Going in my 73 Dart 727 3000 stall manual valve body trans, 8 3/4 rear w/3.55 gears.

Now I'm trying to make this a mean street machine that i can take to the track on occasion. I'm hoping i could get some input on the cam i have. I used it in the 318 prior to rebuild and liked it, even though i was running it with horrible compression with 915 heads. open to suggestions of other cams to fit the combo. Now for some questions i have: the cam I have uses the 995-16 (dual springs) would the 26918 beehive springs that come with the IMM heads work with this cam in place of the duals? I compared the spring rates a while back and couldnt decide. I lost 2 clips on 2 lifters that hold the plunger in, is it ok to run without clips? I appreciate any comments, and please if anything looks funny on my combo feel free to point it out.

I'm not going to be the expert to answer for sure....the cam is pretty healthy :) might work out good with that stall and compression though.

I do think that carb may be a bit small though..

If the pistons are above the deck you are going to need a pretty thick gasket to use a closed chamber head

I'll plan on asking Brian about the springs when I call to place an order. And I have yet to mock it up myself to see how far above the piston is. I'm working on sizing the rings at the moment (.026"top .018"bottom) with a hand file. Time consuming... But as soon as I measure it ill look into my options.

Check out Mopardude318's thread.Installed some of Brian's heads on a 318,similar combo.He raves about it.

Hey 73beast I just got my teen from the machine shop on Wednesday!

My specs are as follows:

Block stamped 1972.
Decked to zero for a set of OLD Federal Mogul/Sterling 285NP's
Honed with torque plate
Align honed and ARP main studs intalled
Rod's resized, rebushed, and ARP bolts
Assembly balanced....I have a scale at home and every rod and piston are exactly the same weight!
Cast crank ground 10/30
Melling standard volume oil pump....opened up to 1/2" for oil mods
Block will get oiling mods
Set of small valve 1.78"/1.50 973 heads
273 Adjustable rockers
Edelbrock Performer intake
650 Holley SB DP w/1" Phenolic spacer
Crane Energizer cam .454/.454 216/[email protected]"

According to the Summit Compression Calc. With a 3.94 bore x 3.318 stroke, 5cc's of valve relief, .036" compressed head gasket, zero deck, and 62cc chamber my compression ratio is around 9.93:1
If I used a steel shim gasket, which is around .028 if I remember correct the comp ratio goes up to 10.13:1
Or if I switch to the J heads I have which I've heard the chamber volume is around 72cc's, the compression with a .036 gasket is still not horrible with 8.87:1
Or using the J heads and a .028 gasket it puts me nicely at 9.02:1.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking of making a switch to the J head, but would have to have hardened seats installed $$$, then gasket match the intake to the larger port. Not sure that it would help port velocity and what not by switching to the J head? If I did go to the J head I might as well go for an RPM type intake and a bigger cam.....it never ends!!!!lol

It's going in my Valiant in my avatar.

Assembly balanced....I have a scale at home and every rod and piston are exactly the same weight!

Did your machine shop balance it or did you just weight match the pistons and rods?

64,the bigger cam/heads,require more gear/ stall converter.Your combo is spot on,for power and drivability.Give it ,a try.

Did your machine shop balance it or did you just weight match the pistons and rods?

Sorry, the machine shop balanced it. lol
As curious as I am, I started weighing each rod and each piston and all were spot on. Lol

64,the bigger cam/heads,require more gear/ stall converter.Your combo is spot on,for power and drivability.Give it ,a try.

Power and drivability are what I'm looking for...as well as some strip fun. Sometimes it's hard to contain the "Go All Out" beast. Lol But the wife can usually do it real quick. Lol

I'm not going to be the expert to answer for sure....the cam is pretty healthy :) might work out good with that stall and compression though.

I do think that carb may be a bit small though..

I agree about the carb, I'll likely find another carb before startup time comes.

Check out Mopardude318's thread.Installed some of Brian's heads on a 318,similar combo.He raves about it.

Just looked up that thread, good stuff! I'll make sure to give my oil pump a once over before slaping it on.

& 64 good luck with your project! I was seriously considering the oiling mods too, but was convinced i wouldnt have anything to gain from it. allong with everything else the hardened seats on the RHS heads are a big selling point for me.

Nice combo, watch the piston clearance, gear well and give it a converter to match.
Agreed on the carb. You'll like a little more CFM on a better than average Holley.
650-700

Looks like a good combo. You'll need to replace the lifter clips, ones out of some old lifters may work. Used cam going into the same block then not to much to worry about. I don't think lighter springs would be necessary, but good breakin oil, and the usual 20 min. 1800-2500 RPM run in time definitely . The carb although not my favorite should work well with this combo, I'd go with a 750 Holley ideally. You're kinda on the edge of weather a vacume sec. or DP would work better for the car. If the pistons stick out 5 or 10 thou you could use some 8553 head gaskets for proper quench clearance.

-
Back