install hood scoops pics

-

kenicb

Reaction score
Promised i would share these pics of the install.

I bought a template from FABO member TAZLDAZL. he sent detailed instructions and the template rolled out and fit the 71 dart hood perfectly as promised.

i used a fine metal blade on a jigsaw to cut the circles. Then i polished the edges down with a dremel tool.

Next step was to get the car ready for paint

Attachments

• DSC01020.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC01023.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC01027.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 451
  • DSC01028.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 477
here's the final result with scoops in place and new paint! Metallic dark bronze.
I found the rubber grommets that go into the holes by searching online. there were a couple folks who made them.

Thanks for all the help. Great forum. God Bless

Keni

http://www.kenithomas.com

Attachments

• DSC01144.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC01145.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 440
  • DSC01146.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 456
I'm glad that everything worked well for you. Thanks for posting picts of the install using the template. The car looks GREAT!!!
TAZZ

Taz or Keni, I did inquire about the template for my Swinger. I seem to remember there was only a limited amount of templates back then. Tazz, if you have some PM me some info, Keni, if you are done with yours and want to sell PM me too. Whichever way works best. I kind of like the 'honor' letting Tazz have first dibs as its the right thing to do. having a 'ace in the hole' with Keni also would be nice. Gotta get busy soon. just finished restoring some original factory scoops. Already added a brand new hood emblem to the car, got brand new bezels and have an original pair of vent hole boots froma 70 Scat Pack car from way back in the day. All that is left is getting new studs, painting the scoops and drilling out the finished hood (scares the crap out of me) and I have scoops. Let me know when you guys have the chance, thanks!!
Chas.

Great job . What gaskets you using on the holes ? And what purpose do those gaskets serve ?

Hey Jerry, sorry for the delayed response. The rubber grommets are not necessary, but they help keep water out and direct the air downward into the bay.

I noticed a slight difference in the tone of the carb when I went to an open air cleaner lid. This allowed the air from both holes to intake into the carb.

Very nice job! Any thoughts about running that cool air directly into an enclosed air cleaner in the future? Might be worth a couple of H.P.

-
Back