Installed my MP leaf springs!

-

MrJLR

Built, not bought
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 68 was sitting pretty low in the rear.....not any more!
Lol...I'm sure it will settle some in time. .....even still, I like the new stance! Ok, it's a bit high....

Had to drill the front shackles to 5/8".....no big deal.
Took about 4 hours total.

Third pic down is how it was before. ....

Attachments

• 20150717_174411.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 966
  • 20150717_174404.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 677
  • 20150707_100319.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 640
  • 20150717_174404 (1).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 606
Wow, that seems pretty high....my SS springs are 8 years old and haven't sagged a bit :glasses7:

Whoa.....Thats high. If you like it, thats all that matters.

What springs did you get ? SS springs, 340 replica, stock replacement ?

If you want to drop it about an inch, yes you can flip the hangers. But you will have to do some drilling/wallowing of a couple holes. Personally not a fan of doing it this way.

Have you seen these hangers ?
They have 2 holes. Use the top one for a 1" drop or use the bottom one for the stock height.
Work slick as a whistle. Plus you can get the front plate to strengthen the whole front hanger up.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 581
I like it .... Very nice very nice....

How many inches from tire to fender well?

I'd double check your shackles make sure they are sitting correctly
SS springs I'd understand that stance but stock replacement? STRANGE

I like it though.. Very nice
It just looks meaner.

Looks like the frontend needs to come up a bit.

I like it .... Very nice very nice....

How many inches from tire to fender well?

I'd double check your shackles make sure they are sitting correctly
SS springs I'd understand that stance but stock replacement? STRANGE

I like it though.. Very nice
It just looks meaner.

I'll get a measurement tomorrow. .....
Shackles are correct and MP OEM replacement springs.
I kinda like it too! Thanks!

great looking fish

The new front torsion bars will raise up the front as well

That's actually too high. Did you tighten the spring bolts before you put the weight of the car on the wheels? If you did, here's your sign.

The front spring eye and shackle. Also the U bolts should not be torqued until the car is on the ground and they only torque to 45 LB Ft.

great looking fish

The new front torsion bars will raise up the front as well

That's in correct, the ride height is set by the 3/4 bolt I between the lower control arm. This bolt when twisted inwards will raise the car via putting more pressure on the lever that holds the T bar. When more pressure is applied, the lever twists the T bar. Raising the car.

The T bar thickness relates to the bars (AKA spring) rate. Thickness of the bar has NOTHING to do with ride height. The T bar controls the up and down movement of the car and it's carrying load. Or how it carries the load. Shocks dampen the bounce.

The T bar thickness relates to the bars (AKA spring) rate. Thickness of the bar has NOTHING to do with ride height. The T bar controls the up and down movement of the car and it's carrying load. Or how it carries the load. Shocks dampen the bounce.

True, the thickness of the bar does not directly set the ride height. However, most aftermarket bars have different "clocking" or hex end indexing than stock, which changes the range of available adjustment for the ride height. The adjusters still set the height, and the spring rate doesn't change the ride height, but the indexing of the the hex end on the bar can change the upper and lower limits of adjustment.

That's why PST recently re-clocked their 1.03" bars. The first batch didn't have enough indexing, and people weren't able to get their cars up to the stock ride height even with the adjusters all the way in. There were more than a few threads about folks that weren't happy with how low their cars were with the 1.03" bars.

As for the OP, man, I hope you like driving in a straight line. 'Cause that car isn't going to handle corners for nothing.

What's the part # on those springs? So I can make sure I don't accidentally buy them...

72BnB.

Thanks! A friend of mine purchased the wrong bars for his Duster. Oval track bars. The car was in the weeds. WOW! That clocking thing you mention was the issue on the bars.

I believe the OP said he purchased S/S springs.
Part number unknown.

To an earlier poster, all S/S springs are a direct fit into an A body car. Adapters (longer front hangers) are used for all other cars.

Mopar Performance P4510269 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510269
Spring, Rear Leaf, Left, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each*
(Mfr. #: P4510269) Ready to Ship*
Ground*
$199.97 1 $199.97*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mopar Performance P4510268 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510268
Spring, Rear Leaf, Right, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each*
(Mfr. #: P451026*Ready to Ship*
Ground*
$199.97 1 $199.97*

I would suggest loosening all of the attachment points and re-tighten with the weight of the car on the suspension like triple R suggest. 45 ft lbs on the u bolts.

A touch too high for my taste..

Mopar Performance P4510269 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510269
Spring, Rear Leaf, Left, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each*
(Mfr. #: P4510269) Ready to Ship*
Ground*
$199.97 1 $199.97*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mopar Performance P4510268 - Mopar Performance Original Equipment Leaf Springs DCC-4510268
Spring, Rear Leaf, Right, XHD OEM-Style, Dodge, Plymouth, A-Body, 2,800 lbs., Each*
(Mfr. #: P451026*Ready to Ship*
Ground*
$199.97 1 $199.97*

Those are the exact leaf springs I bought for my Scamp 7 years ago. You probably noticed when resting them side by side that the placement of the leaves are different so one has more arch than the other? I think it was the right spring which had the higher arch. Regardless, I bought a second left side spring and installed two left springs so the ride height was the same. 7 years later and I'm still happy with the ride height!

That's sitting really high for XHD springs. I bet your shackles are flipped forward. They should look like this...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Something isn't right, that's for sure. Maybe loosening and re-tightening everything with weight on the suspension will help.

And on another note, I have Mopar XHD springs on my Challenger. It settled down over an inch in just the first few weeks of driving it, and has settled more since. They don't make them like they used to. But even my Challenger didn't see that kind of a lift.

That's what I was saying I like it but for stock replacement springs something AINT right...

But I like

thats a stock XHD spring? i've never seen anyone get that much height out of those. it you like it thats cool.. way too high for me though.

How's your Exhaust and sound? You have a nice intimidating sound to go along that mean looking stance?

How's your Exhaust and sound? You have a nice intimidating sound to go along that mean looking stance?

Relatively mellow at the moment.
I have my Doug's D453 headers sitting on the bench waiting for install my front end rebuild has to come first.

Hey it's your car. If your happy with it that's all that matters! Just stuff some big meats back there now! You'll love the Doug's. Got em on my Duster and they are nice! Fit great and starter clearance galore. Only thing I'd love more is if they made a step version like TTI but that's it

-
Back