Installing Accurate dual exhaust on ‘67 Barracuda

-
Have you tried installing the tailpipe first and working your way forward to see how things line up?
May be easier to make an adjustment in the mid pipe or the angle of the muffler

I had some "issues" on my 70 dart, I swung the one mid pipe around, I had it on backwards even though it "looked right" looking at the old walker catalog. I think it ws the right side or passenger side, it was coming out "too long" I had to fight with it to get the muffler and tail pipe to go together. I dunno at some point I dropped the middle section from the head pipe to the muffler and flipped it around and it worked fine. I was on a creeper no lift so it was fun...:)

Not sure why, but my Accurate 383BB was troublesome on that side.

Had to work the intermediate pipe a bit as I opted for the 2-piece. It took some work for the tail pipe on the right side to line up.

Mostly the intermediate pipe needed to move forward for good alignment on that side!

Why it is troublesome is that the tank was designed for a single exhaust on the driver's side and the dual exhaust was an after thought. That's why the tank isn't centered. I've put three of these exhaust systems from Accurate on my 3 1970 Darts and they all installed with little or no issues. As a reminder in installing the extensions on the tailpipe - when your exhaust system heats up over the length of the pipe from manifold to extension, the pipe grows in overall length, pushing the L bracket on the extension toward the valance. You might want to barely snug your clamps so that they hold things in place, fully warm up the exhaust system by running the engine and make final adjustments before tightening things completely. First time I did one of these it took weeks to figure out why I had a rattle after the car warmed up, but not when it was cold...

Ok, I spent more frustrating time on the RS leg of the dual exhaust on our ‘67 Barracuda. Got in touch with Accurate (very helpful), but the final solution was not totally what they recommended.

As they recommended, I took the pipes and muffler off, again. I marked the pipes so I would know how far they had “mated.” Accurate said no trimming necessary, just shove them further in. I used a rat-tail file to dress the ends of the pipes to make certain no edges would cause a problem. Still did not fit.

So, I measured I would need to cut about 1 1/16”from the long pipe closest to the muffler to make it fit to the muffler hanger. After that, everything from the header back up the muffler at its hanger could be lined up. Everything had to be lubed to jam the pipes as far in as possible.

Lining up the exhaust pipe and installing the tip was still a challenge. Not according to advice from Accurate, I marked where the gas tank strap and bolt were contacting the pipe, then I “tuned” the pipe in that area with a BFH. It fit after that.

I’m still convinced that I must have done something wrong, but after about 24 hrs on just the RS, my frustrated inner Redneck mechanic took over.

Can’t wait to start on LS tomorrow or Friday.

Last edited:
Glad you got it worked out.
It's always difficult mixing '67 and '68/9 setups.
The '67 tailpipes hung directly below the rail.
It's been a while but IIRC the '68s with tips hung offthe side of the rails.

Accurate has some of the parts correct but IIRC not the tailpipe hangers.
TTI has the correct tailpipe hangers but moves the muffler hangers so their pipes are not correct in that respect, and no specific '67 version to clear the gas tank strap.
Don's Custom Exhaust in Ohio prob has all the correct hangers and parts, but in your case with mix might not have helped any.

E2F02C86-9C61-4C6C-843F-9E77EA3870DC.jpeg
D0E0BC3A-3528-4244-93C3-83C80F3DC124.jpeg
I finally got it installed. The folks at Accurate had some good advice, but in the end, I had to do some redneck engineering.

On the RS, I had to cut just over an inch off the muffler side of the intermediate pipe. I also had to use a BFH to fine tune the exhaust pipe near the modified gas tank strap.

On the LS, I had to cut about an inch off the end of the exhaust pipe where it goes into the tip.

When I finally get to the point I can start the engine and heat the pipes, if there are no rattles, I will tack the joints together. But right now, it’s installed and it appears to fit - only took about 30 hours.

I am convinced when they built these cars someone threw an oil filter and the the two head pipes on the ground and said, “Now, build a car around that.”

The installed pipes did not clamp tight enough to keep the pipes/muffler from “twisting.” I though I would put a tack weld on each joint, but my welder would not reach. So, I put a self tapping stainless screw in each joint (it goes through both pipes). Twisting problem solved.

The installed pipes did not clamp tight enough to keep the pipes/muffler from “twisting.”
I had that issue on a TTI exhaust and happened to have a few stainless strap exhaust clamps I used instead of what was supplied.

They work much better, by a long shot.
Squeezes the pipe evenly around the entire diameter, are easy to get on and off, and they don't rust.

Traditional exhaust clamps tend to crush the exhaust on one side, clamp on the other, and do nothing in between.

-
Back