Installing headliner '71 dart swinger

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 71 dodge dar swinger two door coupe and I have no headliner and no cardboard to use as a template. How can I make my own headliner without spending an arm and a leg? Thanks guys.

'71 was a bow type, I have bought bows for $50 before and a new headliner for $80... So figure $200ish after everything is said and done, is that an arm and a leg?

No. That's not too bad actually. Do I need any special tools for installation? Where did you get the parts from?

The umbrella type headliner will be the most difficult R&R you'll ever do. Even with the front and rear glasses removed it's a chore. There are some tutorials on line that will help.
One thing I can add , cover the cars floor with old blankets or similar. The rear seat anchors can draw blood from your knees. I cover those with hub cabs and cover the hub caps with blankets.

The umbrella type headliner will be the most difficult R&R you'll ever do. Even with the front and rear glasses removed it's a chore. There are some tutorials on line that will help.
One thing I can add , cover the cars floor with old blankets or similar. The rear seat anchors can draw blood from your knees. I cover those with hub cabs and cover the hub caps with blankets.

^^^^

What RedFish said.

I would take it a step further.....have it done by a pro

I tried putting my own it. Hardest thing I ever tried to do
on the 'Cuda. Ended up taking it to a pro to have it pulled
tight and glued.

There are somethings that you will also need. There are clips that hold the bows in these can be had for around $35.. Without these you are sunk.. There is also usually a small wire that holds the first bow in at the rear you will need this or the bows will always want to pull forward as you go.. There are also some u-clips that hold the headliner on the roofrail these are a bit pricey but can be had for somewhere around $10. You will also need headliner insulation this stuff is really cheap and some contact cement I usually use 3M extra strength. The contact cement is for around the very outer edge of the headliner and also to hold the insulation in. You will also need a heat gun (this is for the wrinkles you will have them..) Just make sure you keep the gun moving and don't get to close to the headliner it will melt.. I have done 3 or 4 head liners and they are a bit of a challenge but do able.

Heck not that long ago I did one on a Superbee with a roll-cage in it and it came out great. Just take your time and work back to front with the bows and then work your way across the front and rear at the same time. Helps if you have 2 people but can be done with one.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0608_mopar_car_headliner_replacement/viewall.html

This is an article in Mopar muscle that should help..

Good luck when they are done the look great.

Agree , have a pro do it. The results will be 100 times better.

Damn! I didn't realize it was so hard. I just bought a radiator from a guy who told me that he installed three headliners by himself in each of his 68 road runners. He said it was easy. Maybe he's a liar. Hmmm. I'll probably leave it to a pro if most everyone is saying that it is very difficult. I just hate paying people for things that I can do myself with a little help. thanks y'all. I'll do some more research but it sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and pay someone.

Damn! I didn't realize it was so hard. I just bought a radiator from a guy who told me that he installed three headliners by himself in each of his 68 road runners. He said it was easy. Maybe he's a liar. Hmmm. I'll probably leave it to a pro if most everyone is saying that it is very difficult. I just hate paying people for things that I can do myself with a little help. thanks y'all. I'll do some more research but it sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and pay someone.

Like I said, I tried. Just wanted to see if I could do it. I did recover my seats
which to me was far easier than the headliner.

Attachments

• DSCF2402 (Medium).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 646
  • DSCF2403 (Medium).jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 611
  • DSCF2404 (Medium).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 601
  • DSCF2405 (Medium).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 634
  • DSCF2406 (Medium).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 634

I did my own because I also didn't want to pay someone to do something that I myself could do.

I would also agree if you have the $ then have a pro do it. I also don't think that the guy lied about it being easy, for some I am sure it is. I have done it a couple of times and it isn't outrageously hard but it sure ain't easy..

Hey Tony love the Baracuda...

I did my own because I also didn't want to pay someone to do something that I myself could do.

I would also agree if you have the $ then have a pro do it. I also don't think that the guy lied about it being easy, for some I am sure it is. I have done it a couple of times and it isn't outrageously hard but it sure ain't easy..

Hey Tony love the Baracuda...

Thanks!

After talking to some interior guys in my area and getting info from you guys I think I'm going to attempt to do this myself. Worst case scenario, I cant get it right and end up going to a pro anyways but at least I'll know. I'll probably learn something during the whole process too. Thanks guys. And if you guys have any tips to help me get this project done please post it.

There are somethings that you will also need. There are clips that hold the bows in these can be had for around $35.. Without these you are sunk.. There is also usually a small wire that holds the first bow in at the rear you will need this or the bows will always want to pull forward as you go.. There are also some u-clips that hold the headliner on the roofrail these are a bit pricey but can be had for somewhere around $10. You will also need headliner insulation this stuff is really cheap and some contact cement I usually use 3M extra strength. The contact cement is for around the very outer edge of the headliner and also to hold the insulation in. You will also need a heat gun (this is for the wrinkles you will have them..) Just make sure you keep the gun moving and don't get to close to the headliner it will melt.. I have done 3 or 4 head liners and they are a bit of a challenge but do able.

Heck not that long ago I did one on a Superbee with a roll-cage in it and it came out great. Just take your time and work back to front with the bows and then work your way across the front and rear at the same time. Helps if you have 2 people but can be done with one.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/mopp_0608_mopar_car_headliner_replacement/viewall.html

This is an article in Mopar muscle that should help..

Good luck when they are done the look great.

'71 doesn't use the clips that the bows sit into, it's a one year only bow, that being said it's easy enough to cut the holes for the bow clips. If you find bows from an older car.

The reproduction insulation is almost the same as cotton batting you would find at a quilt store.

You do anything to a mopar it's going to cost a arm and leg. That's why you see so many mopars sitting around unfinished. Lol

You do anything to a mopar it's going to cost a arm and leg. That's why you see so many mopars sitting around unfinished. Lol

I agree. But my dart is a daily driver. Just needs a completed interior. I don't care if your car is not finished as long as you can drive it and enjoy having a Mopar!!!!

'71 doesn't use the clips that the bows sit into, it's a one year only bow, that being said it's easy enough to cut the holes for the bow clips. If you find bows from an older car.

Sorry I have only done them on cars that have had them didn't realize a '71 was different in that regard.

I was going to have mine installed by a pro. Two quotes for $200 and a few friends telling me to try it convinced me.

It's not quite as nice as if a pro had done it but for a daily driver, the job looks great.

Would I do it again? Ask a woman 5 minutes after childbirth if she wants to have another kid....at the time I swore I would never do it again. It's not hard to install it at all. It is hard to install it and have it look really really nice unless you know all the tips and tricks a pro uses. The front section is easy- the rear window and the sail panels is not. As time goes on I might consider doing another...maybe

I can't even imagine doing it with the front and rear glass in place. Holy Cats that would make it so much more difficult!

If you do decide to do it, There's a nice step by step with photos. I bought two dozen clamps at Harbor Freight which really helped.

Take lots of photos of the roof before you begin and measure where holes are for mounting hardware so you can locate them easier.

See this link: http://www.restorick.com/tech/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5

keep in mind that you may have to shift the headliner from one side to the other . dont cut to much off of it cuz it may need shifting .try and get a center point at front and center point at rear to try and keep it straight

-
Back