Installing pistons...help

-

flyfish

C8H18+N2O = :-D
Reaction score
My instructions with my rings said to do a light coat on WD40 on the cylinder walls, a little engine oil on the piston skirts, and then install the pistons...is this right? Do I need more lube on things when installing the pistons?? This just sounds kind of ....dry.

anyone ive ever heard of doing it uses just motor oil on it all. i just dip the whole piston and rings in oil then put it into the cyl. sure its messy but you cant have too much oil on a new engine.

i use what ever oil have available...wipe the cylinder walls with it...and coat the piston and rings with it.

I align my rings then dunk the piston in engine oil, drain then install. I align the rings on one, dunk the next, and fit and lube the rod bearings while it's piston drains. Set up a sort of assembly line while one piston soaks the next one is getting it's rod bearings and being installed. With a helper (forced child labor) a short block can go together in less than an hour.

NOTHING goes in dry.

I started out dunking in my teens, then went to wiping oil on the rings, now I go dry.

I did the way most said. Coat the cylinder walls with oil then dunk the piston after the rings are aligned then put them in. It is messy but i put a sheet of plywood down to collect the mess.

Dunking is old school and no longer needed with todays parts.A little oil on the skirts and on the cylinder walls is fine.Just follow your directions and you will be OK. Jim

Dunking is a good way to hurt ring seal and seating. Moly rings are coated with molybdenum and they require a very smooth honed finish. It's called plateau honing. When you have the right hone finish, and the right rings, you need very little. I use Wd40, no oil at all. Total Seal has a special powder to use, and I know guys that use ome graphite powder instead. but use of oil on moly rings is not the best way. As I said, it means the rings may not seat for a while. They should seat virtually immediately, the light oil lets it.

Dunking is a good way to hurt ring seal and seating. Moly rings are coated with molybdenum and they require a very smooth honed finish. It's called plateau honing. When you have the right hone finish, and the right rings, you need very little. I use Wd40, no oil at all. Total Seal has a special powder to use, and I know guys that use ome graphite powder instead. but use of oil on moly rings is not the best way. As I said, it means the rings may not seat for a while. They should seat virtually immediately, the light oil lets it.
Pretty much what I had been told too. The dunk method is a big no-no in my books, but thats just me. Boy, not that often that Moper and I are 100% in agreement! LOL!

-
Back