installing screen under Duster's air vent

-

Ken71Twister

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some stainless steel mesh that I intend to install on the underside of the grill that is in front of the windshield. The purpose is to prevent leaves and debris from passing thru the grill and building up in the cavity under the grill. My plan is to temporarily tie the screen to the underside of the grill (I cut access holes in the upper firewall) and support the grill from the underside. I figure I can cut some small foam blocks, wet them with fiberglass resin, place a few to support the top, bottom, left and right ends, and wait for the resin to set. These blocks should be big enough to support and hold the screen in place without blocking the flow of air (too much).

Anyone have a better idea?

better idea would be to keep car inside, or under carport!

might have a conflict with the foam and fiberglass, the resin can eat right through some kinds of foam. I think i'd try supporting the screen with blocks of foam and use JB Weld around the perimeter to keep the screen secure, let the JB Weld cure, pull the blocks... done!
the screen thing is a good idea, btw !

Thats a nice idea.
Uh, I would suggest metal support braces that were painted with epoxy and tack welded at the bottom. Foam and plastic will not last over 10 years and you will have deteriorating shi% falling into your air vents as a result and your screen will fall down.

better idea would be to keep car inside, or under carport!

Great idea...if he so equiped to do so. Reguardless. That is a great idea. Those vent doors once opened after a fall and winter really blind ya whjen traveling down the Hwy. huh?!?!

My freaking 96 ranger shoots out the vents pounds of leaf and dust debris for some dang reason. And all I do is leave it in the woods for weeks on end. It is amazing that the factory didnt have a better design than that even in in 96.

Here is what I did for a couple reasons. I drilled a 2-3/8 inch hole level with the inner floor of the cowl on both sides. It gave me access to the cowl area from both sides so I could sand blast up in there then use eastwoods inside frame coating in there (took me longer to get all the sand out than the rest of process combined). But also the holes are the lowest points in the cowl system and the hole is large diameter which will allow all the debris to blow, fall and drip out on both sides and may end up lodged between the door pillar and the fender. .
I just augmented the existing cowl drain system basically which is there anyway. .

Attachments

• DSCN1286crop.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 219
I did something similar to my Chrysler. Used black aluminum window screen and liquid nails or something like that. It's been under there for 7 or 8 years with no problems.

It is easier to do on a C-body because that whole panel is removable.

On the other hand, I saw a guy with a Mustang who had a piece of plexiglass with a couple of magnets glued on, that he used to cover the vent when parking outside.

How will you get screen or anything else in there ?
There is a Mustang that somes to or local cruise-in that has a piece of clear plexiglas over the cowl vent. Aeeched with screws. I've never talked to the owner. I assume he doesn't use heat or a/c.
And about the debris coming out those swinging vent box doors, I had a idea to make a register like vent to replace those doors with a screen included. Maybe even incorperate the pentastar shape in its openings.
Someone else can run with that idea. I've got enough on my plate..

yeah a friend of mine had a 65 mustang with the same thing on that vent, why dont you use 4 powerful magnets to attach it, that way if you decide to take it off itll be easy

Home Depot/Lowe's/etc sell magnetized vent covers, for blocking off your vents at home, they are a thin, flexible material you can cut to fit with scissors. Easy solution, works well, I have some I use to keep water out of the cowl area if my car is outside in the rain.

A piece of what you trim off makes a great bondo-checker.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I've attached two pictures - one showing that I've cut a large access hole in the firewall (left side and right side) so I could inspect and repair rust-thru damage from trapped leaves. I used a pneumatic chisel to shear rivets that held the two air cowls in place. They were too damaged to salvage, so I had a local shop make two new ones. As for installing the screen under the vents - I will use these two holes to slide in the screen from one end or the other. I'm guessing that it will be a tight squeeze to slide in a screen that is big enough to span the vents - so brackets will become problematic.

My idea to use foam saturated with fiberglass came from previous experience when I used foam to apply clear polyurethane to wood. When the polyurethane dried - the foam was hard as a rock. If fiberglass resin dissolves the foam, I'll use polyurethane or something similar.

Fixing the holes in the firewall will be a project in itself due to the odd shape - but it necessary to repair rust and stop future leaves. Here in Florida - I get falling leaves and junk year round.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the factory had a hunk of foam on each side of the vents - perhaps to divert air and prevent rain from blowing over the cowl and into the vent box at high speed.
tx,
Ken

Attachments

• DSCN4485.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCN4487.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 171
I just found a photo (see upper right) that shows some of the foam that was apparantly in place to prevent rain from blowing into air vent. The extra material on/around the cowling is fiberglass that I put on there several years ago in an unsucessful attempt to seal metal that had been rusted by trapped/packed leaves and debris.

Attachments

• DSCN4446.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 178
I've always wondered why the manufacturers did not continue with the old-style "pop-up" vents. I don't know how well they sealed, though. Even a vent styled after a hood scoop whould prevent most of the junk from falling in.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. I've attached two pictures - one showing that I've cut a large access hole in the firewall (left side and right side) so I could inspect and repair rust-thru damage from trapped leaves. I used a pneumatic chisel to shear rivets that held the two air cowls in place. They were too damaged to salvage, so I had a local shop make two new ones. As for installing the screen under the vents - I will use these two holes to slide in the screen from one end or the other. I'm guessing that it will be a tight squeeze to slide in a screen that is big enough to span the vents - so brackets will become problematic.

My idea to use foam saturated with fiberglass came from previous experience when I used foam to apply clear polyurethane to wood. When the polyurethane dried - the foam was hard as a rock. If fiberglass resin dissolves the foam, I'll use polyurethane or something similar.

Fixing the holes in the firewall will be a project in itself due to the odd shape - but it necessary to repair rust and stop future leaves. Here in Florida - I get falling leaves and junk year round.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the factory had a hunk of foam on each side of the vents - perhaps to divert air and prevent rain from blowing over the cowl and into the vent box at high speed.
tx,
Ken

Where did you get the replacement rings at? I might be in need of one down the road.

Thanks

After cleaning mine out (water and coat hanger years ago) I went to an arts store and bought a roll of flexable sheet magnet and cut it to size with scissors. I leave that on there most of the time (except when its very hot out) even when driving. Keeps the leaves and crap out added benefit its almost water tight for the most part.

I painted it body colour but because its flexable the paint on it will crack.

Jamakin - I took the old part to a local sheet metal shop and had them make the new ones. The inside diameter is the only critical dimensoin since it needs to fit over a small lip.

Ken

Home Depot/Lowe's/etc sell magnetized vent covers, for blocking off your vents at home, they are a thin, flexible material you can cut to fit with scissors. Easy solution, works well, I have some I use to keep water out of the cowl area if my car is outside in the rain.

A piece of what you trim off makes a great bondo-checker.

That works.

-
Back