Installing speedometer cable with new grommet - help needed

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My 50 year speedometer went out in a blaze of glory and now needs to be replaced. Replacing the cable is straight forward enough - but how do you replace the grommet?

I did see a cable with a grommet for $70 (and it was to long). I paid $20~ for cable and grommet

I can't just replace the cable and leave the housing - replacement cable is a couple inches to long

Has anyone removed one of the ends and recrimped it?

Or just cut the grommet and repair it

IMG_3650.JPG

IMG_3651.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3653.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

Trying to recall what I did but I know I boiled the snot out of the grommet to get it more pliable. Then worked it over the smaller end to get it on the cable.

I've used speedo cables that were a few inches too long and they still worked just fine. Just make sure that there are no kinks and all the bends are nice and smooth. Also, if you tie (secure) the excess cable to a solid object it won't tend to move up and down.

treblig

Just split the grommet, as it won't make one bit of difference once it's in the hole in the firewall.
I have also replaced the end fitting when needed and used a big nut cut in half as a crimp tool in the vise.

73 Duster: I put a new grommet on my speedo cable by stretching it over a 1/2" drive socket (socket size 3/8", start it at the smaller end and work the grommet up to the bigger end) and then slipping it on to the speedo end of the cable. I was a bit surprised how much the grommet stretched, but it did just fine. After the new one was installed on the cable, I cut the original one off.

I would like to replace the grommet on the 1965 speedo cable I am repairing with the inner cable. Any updates on correct parts sources or methods on doing this? Thank you.

-
Back