installing your 4 speed question??

-

fuzzman

Reaction score
I had a chevy guy ask me if we mopar guys install our trans with the clutch fork and throw out bearing already mounted in the bell housing or do you or can you install the clutch fork onto the throw out bearing after the trans is installed? The last time i installed my trans I had the fork installed in the bell housing with the throw out bearing attached and i snaked the trans through the throw out bearing. I didn't know if you could install the clutch fork in after the trans was mounted could you? What do you guys think?

Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone
Peoria IL

Without exaggerating I must have changed A833 clutches and throwout bearings 100+ times. Always with throw out bearing on fork. Never tried it the any other way. Only excuse is did not want to find it necessary to remove and replace transmission second time.

I put the fork in afterwards. Use some 3/8 bolts, with the heads cut off and tapered, in the top two threaded holes in the bell housing. This makes it easier to guide everything in. Make them long enough to remove and replace them with the right bolts when everything is drawn up.

One thing I've found that helps a lot is to put the box into reverse and any forward gear you can get it into. This locks the input shaft to the box. Now you can wiggle the hole box and line up the clutch splines

Either way. I installed the fork on the bearing and then installed the transmission. I have also changed the fork in the car. (although not too easy)

-
Back