Instrument dash lights for '66 Barracuda???

-

ZooKypr

Reaction score
I went to research what instrument dash light bulbs I need and I came up with two different types. The owner's manual lists bulb 158 which is a push in/pull out type but my 1966 service manual states they twist and turn in clockwise & counterclockwise to removal. Any insight instead of me pullling her apart?

:blob:

the 158 bulb is correct. It's the plastic socket that turns to fasten. The bulb pushes into that socket. Sylvania #2825 is a slightly brighter bulb and long life type too. Approx 5 bucks per pairat Walmart and everywhere else.

The 158 bulbs I'm finding are push/pull type which do not turn. Also, can I replace all six dash bulbs without removing speedometer cable?

Thanks

There is a black plastic holder/adapter that holds the bulb. It is twisted out, then the bulb is replaced and unit installed.

Oops, I missed RedFish post.

It might be best to disconnect battery, and pull instrument panel. Some are hard to get to. I think the steering wheel might need to be let down too, also ignition switch, nut.

Well I was all set to buy me some #158's but the Pep Boys electronic bulb finder showed 158 & 57 bulbs as the ones need....Guess I'll hafve to drop the instr. panel and take a look. Besides dropping the column & loosening the instr. panle screws does the speedo cable need to be removed too????

Well I was all set to buy me some #158's but the Pep Boys electronic bulb finder showed 158 & 57 bulbs as the ones need....Guess I'll hafve to drop the instr. panel and take a look. Besides dropping the column & loosening the instr. panle screws does the speedo cable need to be removed too????

I know there was a change in the bulb socket/holder design but I'm not sure what year. A pre 67 model may very well have the plastic bulb sockets that turns to lock which also contain a bulb that turns to lock.
64 and 65 had those type.
Here's a tip though, the hole in the printed circuit board never changed. You can use the 67 and later bulb sockets in your instrument panel that accept the push in type bulb such and 158 194 2825.
Sorry about the confusion.
example shown is 64 model A-body

Attachments

• 64 A lamp alternative.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 206
It has been about 30 years so not sure if the speedo cable needs to be removed. I think so, since it seemed short. That is easy to do, just a finger tight nut. If you do not roll the car, the square should easily align when you hook it back up.

The most important part is to disconnect the battery before working.

Thanks fellas...I ordered up some 158 white LEDs. I figure the LEDs are better for the old wiring since they don't get as hot as the filament bulbs.

My 65 dash just comes out with 4 screws? And the speedo shaft is truly just "reach under and unscrew". LED's are a good idea. The retainers are the bayonet style that you all speak of, the lamps are push in. If the square gets out of sync, just turn the little socket, usually self aligns.

-
Back