Instrument Panel Bulb Sockets

-

RedFish

Reaction score
Regardless what incandescent bulb number or LED is chosen we still use the same 5/8 twist lock sockets. I have a collection of 40 to 50 year old OEM sockets along with a dozen fairly new reproductions. All are garbage. The locking tangs tend to snap off the old originals. On the reproductions from Ebay or HELP LINE the locking tangs didn't snap off, they sagged/folded inward causing loss of contact. I suppose bulb heat could be a factor and if that's the case LEDs might be the remedy. Rather than experiment, waste coins, and get even more pizzed off, I'll ask the masses... Where to purchase OEM quality or even aircraft grade bulb sockets of this T10 type? TIA

Last edited:
I get them off the "HELP" rack at Canadian Tire If I get over there this weekend I'll take a picture of the packaging and check for any manufacturing info for ya . Funny you post this I just pulled a package out of the mailbox that has the LED bulbs I ordered the first week in June , talk about a slow boat from China eh !

I usually soak the old ones overnight in armor all, seems to work so far.

I get them off the "HELP" rack at Canadian Tire If I get over there this weekend I'll take a picture of the packaging and check for any manufacturing info for ya . Funny you post this I just pulled a package out of the mailbox that has the LED bulbs I ordered the first week in June , talk about a slow boat from China eh !

Ha! I was going to say the same thing! But they're something like $4 (CAD) a pair at Cdn Tire, so I got some much cheaper at a local place called McLeod and Richmond. I think they were a buck a pair at M&R.

Not sure where you're (the OP) located, but it's probably not anywhere near a Canadian Tire!

yeah thats why I told him I would check the packaging for a manufacturers name or info , I think I've seen them at J&B Bumper to Bumper as well and I know I will be going there tomorrow so I will look and bug DusterGlenn , he works there lol .

Yeah I knew of NAPA and their Echlin brand sockets. I was hoping someone had installed 50 bucks worth of those 6 to 12 years ago and had no issues to report.
I did some searching last evening... Apparently Dorman doesn't offer these 5/8 sockets ( they do offer 1/2 sockets for GM, etc.. )
Then there's Standard S-503A. Retail price spread of 2.xx to 6.xx online.
So from this point I'm just seeking feedback. I'm done with import junk.
If I do try LEDs they will be premium brand, Phillips for example.
Around a hundred USD total for 8 panel lamps? Might seem foolish. Can't be more foolish than those penny pinching alternatives I've tried so far.

Went to Cambodian Tire to get a couple of those sockets for my dash , 1 fell to pieces when I pulled it out and another was missing so I bought the last pair they had , flipped the package over and they were made for Standard in Taiwan .I have to go searching for another pack because I found 1 that was completely different in that the lock tangs don't stick out like the others to so it doesn't lock in securely weird , I wonder how I ended up with 1 oddball like that ?

I went ahead and ordered the Echlin sockets through NAPA.
I also ordered new defrost tubes from DMT.
No more trash in the dash.
Thanks to all who replied here.

At least you don't have to worry about being orphaned. Rock shows that PN also for 1957-87 GM and Ford 1987-91 (late to party?). Plus Chysler 1963-81. I recall that the dash bulb holders for my 1984 M-B also interchange though they have fingers that cause a short-circuit with some LED bulbs (how would I know?, melted a trace).

-
Back