Insurance for weekend car

-

cudajames

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How is everybody handling the insurance on their classic? My standard insurance agent wants $700 a year for a weekend-low mile car. Which is almost the same for my daily 2 year old car
Any recommendations for classic car insurance? Not show car, lives in a garage type insurance

Hagerty.

I can insure both of our classics for around 600 a year. 7000 agreed value on one, 5000 on the other. I could save and additional 300 per year if I didn't live in Michigan.

Whomever you go with make sure you have AGREED value, not STATED value. HUGE difference!

I'd second the rec. on Hagerty. My first car was about $550, the second only about $100 more. Make sure you understand the miilage limits and restrictions on storage and anti-theft devices.

I'd second the rec. on Hagerty. My first car was about $550, the second only about $100 more. Make sure you understand the mileage limits and restrictions on storage and anti-theft devices.

Mileage isn't as big a deal as driving it daily, for example to and from work. I can drive mine as much as I like, but have to have another vehicle for daily commutes.

It does have to be garaged though.

Another vote for Hagerty... My Duster is valued at $20,000 and Power Wagon for $3500... $250 a year full coverage for both in Texas....

My standard insurance agent wants $700 a year for a weekend-low mile car.

And I'll bet dollars to donuts you don't have or wouldn't have the proper coverage.

Classic car insurance, IMO, is a specialty field all it's own.

Another vote for Hagerty.

My buddy just tried to get his car insured by haggerty, when asked what he would use the car for he mentioned pleasure driving on the weekend. The rep asked him to expand on that and to give examples. He said i don't know, take my son to get ice cream and drive around.

They said well we are cancelling you application! apparently the "right" answer is car functions (shows, cruises etc) only, anything construed as running errands was not allowed on the policy.

I am sure there are different types of policies out there, be sure to get one that matches your use case to avoid any issues with claims in the future.

I have my 70 Swinger covered thru State Farm with agreed value of $10,000 for $110 a year. I have my Ram 2500 insured with them also.

My buddy just tried to get his car insured by haggerty, when asked what he would use the car for he mentioned pleasure driving on the weekend. The rep asked him to expand on that and to give examples. He said i don't know, take my son to get ice cream and drive around.

They said well we are cancelling you application! apparently the "right" answer is car functions (shows, cruises etc) only, anything construed as running errands was not allowed on the policy.

I am sure there are different types of policies out there, be sure to get one that matches your use case to avoid any issues with claims in the future.

Hmmm........ that's odd, because I have mentioned all of that and no issues. I even mentioned drag racing it, no problem at all, I'm just not covered if something happens on the track.

What kind of car and what condition was it in? I kind of had to convince them to Insure my Power Wagon and my Father n law had same issue with his truck..

Mine is State Farm also. I had to have the car appraised and cover it for that amount.
Driven only to car shows, and in parades. They do understand it would be driven to gas pumps, tire stores, etc,.., so if you go after ice cream and something happens, you were going to the tire store also.

i use american collector for my mustang. have also used jc taylor and condon and skelly in the past. all three places have been great to me.

What kind of car and what condition was it in? I kind of had to convince them to Insure my Power Wagon and my Father n law had same issue with his truck..

Datsun Z car, fully restored. He ended up getting a policy with an agreed value with his regular insurance company, he didn't even know they offered it! I dont remember the company.

so if you go after ice cream and something happens, you were going to the tire store also.

Yeah good call. Based on his experience I wont go with them, my car will only be used occasionally- but not just to park on the lawn with other cars. And I want coverage if I decide to take my car ro work or to the mall and someone steals /damages my car.

I'm cheap, that being said. I also am willing to take some risks. The risks I am willing to take are while my cars are in storage on my property. So they are not insured. But when I do choose to drive one of my old cars I call(or get on line) and add it to my existing policy. They have three day minimal coverage, Its like three dollars. By doing this I have saved a lot of money.

I have Chrome through American National (my house insurance company)
$20,000 agreed value, 10,000 mile limit, flatbed towing to shop of choice and for $100 a year. They also have a generous multi-car discount. tmm

http://www.anpac.com/classic-car-insurance/

I have the State Farm version of classic car insurance on the Barracuda and Dart. The Dart (4 door, 73, slant) is $102 a year, covered for $3000. The Barracuda is $124 a year, covered for $20,000.

I have mine on my 72 cuda through farmers .
251.00 a year zero deductible covered for 25000.00
I think the company is jc Taylor .
When I get the Dart on the road shortly it will be hagerty as jc Taylor won't insure race cars or ones they consider modified ?
Best of luck

i use american collector for my mustang. have also used jc taylor and condon and skelly in the past. all three places have been great to me.

I use American Collector too for my two drivers. One is insured for $25k and the other for $15k and the premium is about $250 per year combined. There is a 2,500 mile per year limitation on each and they must be garage kept.

Also for USAA members, American Collector offers a discount.:blob:

I once used Hagerty and when they asked if my car had the original engine and I said "no", they doubled the premium because it was a "custom" car. :violent1: but they had no annual mileage limitation.

I once used Hagerty and when they asked if my car had the original engine and I said "no", they doubled the premium because it was a "custom" car. but they had no annual mileage limitation.

They ask me the same, just tell them it has a rebuilt Chrysler engine, that's all they need to know. As long as the car is not an all out race car they won't give you any grief."

I find it difficult to comprehend that folks have any issues with Hagerty, they are one of the easiest companies to work with that I have dealt with.

The key when talking to any of them is not to volunteer any info, answer their questions with some vagueness without down right lying about it.

I use Hagerty. I have an agreed $40K on the 72 Corvette and 15K on the 66 Dart. I have no mileage limitations and I have never seen any driving limitations. I dont ask either. Last year before I sold my 74 vette it was hit with a piece of a blown out tire that was thrown from a passing car. It really messed up the Left rear door & quarter. Hagerty was there in 2 days and I had a check within a week. I was allowed to pick my body shop and when the repairs were just a little more then Hagertys estimate they wrote a supplementary check to cover the difference. Two years ago I wanted to take both my vettes to a vette weekend gathering and was going to have my daughter drive the second one. I called and ask about coverage and that she was only 23 years old. They said it was ok for her to drive it. My total coverage with them at any time has never been above $550 for both. Been about a 10 year relationship now. Im very happy with them.
Rod

I use Hagerty. I have an agreed $40K on the 72 Corvette and 15K on the 66 Dart. I have no mileage limitations and I have never seen any driving limitations. I don't ask either.
Rod

Right there is the key, don't say or ask anything that will get them thinking or feel suspicious about you. Then they will start asking all sorts of questions.

Cudajames, I have been using AAA. I was asked if I wanted to insure it as a classic car and I said no when I found out the cost. I insure them under the "pleasure" category and i only pay a couple of hundred dollars for them since I put less than 5,000 miles on them a year.

-
Back