Intake alignment Q

-

hieneken49

Reaction score
So i have a 68 440 im working on, it is in a 83 ramcharger but that is irrelevant to this question. I bought the truck with this engine in it with a bent pushrod and valve. I tore down the engine and had the heads rebuilt, now im putting everything toghether and im having some issues with the intake lining up. With no valley pan the intake matches and bolts go in easy. Withe the valley pan and paper gaskets it does not. It almost seems like the intake is hitting the valley pan, i used the felpro pan. this is the same intake that was on the engine before and i did not have the heads cut. Could i have used a different thickness head gasket and its throwing it off? any suggestions?

Take off the paper gaskets and use either high tack of some ulttra grey RTV around the ports. It should not hit the valley pan but it may not have enough room for the paper gaskets. If it's bottoming out on the pan - make sure there isn't some insulation or anything stuck to the bottom of the intake.

You could just use the valleypan gasket with no paper gaskets, the last 10 intakes ive put on i just use the pan, silicon in all 4 corners and use high tac around the ports, both sides of the pan, ive yet to have a problem with that method.

What intake manifold are you using? I just had to file some off the bottom of an Edelbrock RPM on two opposite corners were it was hitting the valley pan.

What intake manifold are you using? I just had to file some off the bottom of an Edelbrock RPM on two opposite corners were it was hitting the valley pan.

Attention to detail? Never assume anything... Nice catch!

New bathtub gasket or already compressed? Paper is for installing old one. Use on one side but rtv is superior.

Worked Great! Took out the paper gaskets. I did enlarge the bolt holes on the valley pan slightly since they were just a bit off but other than that it lined up perfectly. Well see if theres any leaks when i get her bolted back in the truck. Thanks Again everyone for you input.

-
Back