Intake coices

-

Bronze Barracuda

Reaction score
I'm building a 360 small block with 8.7 CR a 224 @ .050 duration with a 500 lift and magnum exhaust manifolds.
I have two intakes a factory 4bbl (1974) or an edelbrock torker. I like the idea of the weight savings of the torker. But what say you guys/gals?

I'm building a 360 small block with 8.7 CR a 224 @ .050 duration with a 500 lift and magnum exhaust manifolds.
I have two intakes a factory 4bbl (1974) or an edelbrock torker. I like the idea of the weight savings of the torker. But what say you guys/gals?
After 4500 rpm the torker is better
I had good luck with mine on a 340 11 to1 243@50 108 cam it had rhoads lifters so that made it slighty bigger then your cam but you have 20 more cubes of torque . Air gap is hard to beat for a street car.
1 are yo going to race it?
2 gear ratio
3 valve size

Depending on the gear ratio and converter I would lean towards a dual plane most likely. Lowish compression and a larger cam = dual plane for low end torque in my book 90% of the time.

Sell them both, get an airgap.

After 4500 rpm the torker is better
I had good luck with mine on a 340 11 to1 243@50 108 cam it had rhoads lifters so that made it slighty bigger then your cam but you have 20 more cubes of torque . Air gap is hard to beat for a street car.
1 are yo going to race it?
2 gear ratio
3 valve size
It's going into my Ramcharger. 3.55 gears 30" tires. Will be used as a daily driver. So it'll rarely see 5000rpm

I would get the chinese copy of a air gap or just performer rpm... you will want the torque, i ran a big block with a torker and it was great after bout 3000rpm, before that i wasn't impressed. And i say the chinese copy cause it's half the price and at least the same quality as a real edelbrock.

I tawt I saw on Nicks garage he did a 300 horse pull on a 340 with a Torker...correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm sure I was a kid at the time it was introduced but the Torker is a low rise single plane for street cars so it fits under the hood. Not saying its good for street cars but as I understand it that's what it was designed for.

I tawt I saw on Nicks garage he did a 300 horse pull on a 340 with a Torker...correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm sure I was a kid at the time it was introduced but the Torker is a low rise single plane for street cars so it fits under the hood. Not saying its good for street cars but as I understand it that's what it was designed for.
That's what it is but it's not made for torque being a single plane.. for something like a truck with 3.55's he's gonna want as broad of a power band as he can get instead of a late peak

air gap based on those specs even more so with 3.55s and a 30 tire and that weight

If the budget was unlimited, for sure.
I'm already way over budget in the damn machining!
I have a set of 2.02 J heads in a machine shop now, dropped them off with $200 down ,don't know what the final damage will be but I suspect 400 something so, I'm guessing 650-700 into a set of Js and that's not counting the cost of 915 J cores which is 200 ish...yeah I know...its the game though ... :thumbsup:

I dropped mine off with block heads and crank and I'm at about 3,700 right now completely ridiculous. Line hone, oversize, deck, crank, and rods resized, new exhaust valve seats, heads milled, heads machine for new rocker springs and valve stem seals probably more than I've forgotten.

Last edited:
I dropped mine off with block heads and crank and I'm at about 3,700 right now completely ridiculous.
I hear ya I had a set of 1.88 J's done last year it was at about $500 but again count the cost of the cores. I don't think I could get 700 for them if I tried selling them LOL! I think Ill look for a 360 short block for them. Gotta love it.

If you’re into saving money, use the factory intake. If you don’t mind spending a little cash, get the RPM, air gap.

I have used the torquer intake with small camshafts before, but! Unless the vehicle is super light with a high gear ratio, you’re not going to like it that much. It has a very large platinum and short runners, which are very good for high RPM, as said earlier, around 4500, the intake really picks up. But your camshaft is mostly done by then. I’m running at 2:24 at 50 camshaft right now and while it starts to sing really Good, its RPM usage is limited after 4500.

in a truck then yes i change my mind and i'd use the stock dual plane unless as mentioned you sell both and buy a performer rpm air gap.
as an aside the torker was named that as it gave better torque than other single plane intakes. they were listed as 2500-6500 rpm.

I have a Torker on a shelf somewhere I may toss it on and run it one day see if it really does suck LOL!

-
Back