Intake gaskets

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I was test fitting the new Weiand Action Plus intake on my 360 and noticed that the bolt holes didnt line up, even with the blue felpro gaskets, so I took the old offy intake and sat it on the motor and they all matched up fine.
The paperwork with the new intake said that I need to use gaskets that are atleast .050-.060 thick. How thick are the blue felpro intake gaskets
PN FEL-MS90109. They were the thickest that the parts store had in stock.
I can order the Mr. Gasket Ultra-Seals that come in 1/8 or 1/16.
The heads or block have not been milled.

A 1/16 is .062, is the intake sitting high or low from the bolt holes? Are you sure that the heads weren't milled? A std. gasket is generally .050-.060 thick, unless it's a steel shim, like the 318s had, then they are usually about .020 -.030 thick with the roll beaded surface.

BJR Racing

The Ultra Seal Mr Gasket ones are the ones I like to use on small blocks..soft, and seal well. I use Ultra grey or black silicone for the ends. If the intake doesnt fit becuase the holes in the heads are further "up" then the intake, the intake has been milled, or a thicker head gasket was used for some reason. You can "double up" intake gaskets if you had to, but I'd be nervous doing that with any type of gasket. If the holes are "too low", then the intake can be milled to fit. You really need to be able to start the bolts by hand, otherwise there will be a port mismatch too..And Ive seen a few guys miss out on a lot because they decided to oval the holes int he intake, instead of getting it to fit properly.

The new intake sits too low so the holes are too high but I have tried 3 different intakes on it ( the old offy, a eddy duel tunnelram, and a stock 2 bbl) and they all fit just fine.
So why would a brand new streight out of the box from summit Weiand Action Plus intake not fit right, Should I call up summit and return it or just get the thicker gaskets and try again?
The heads and block have not been milled and the head gaskets are the standard felpro ones that come with the summit rebuild kits.

this is the reason the magnum small block has the intake bolts verticle, it makes it easier to pull the intake into place. your problem is not uncommon. you don't notice it as bad with a stock cast iron manifold & stock int bolts, as the stock int bolts are sort of self starting. what i try to do if useing supplied end seals is to use a long tapered punch in the bolt hole as a pry bar to align the bolt holes. if it were me i would use a good grade of silicone on the end seals & be done with it. hope this helps

But shouldn't a brand new $176.00 intake fit without having to "pull" it into place?
I'm ganna order some of the Mr. Gasket ultra seal intake gaskets and try that and if it still wont fit I'll call up summit and see about getting a new one.

360scamp said:
So why would a brand new streight out of the box from summit Weiand Action Plus intake not fit right, Should I call up summit and return it or just get the thicker gaskets and try again?

If you tried three other manifolds and they fit fine I would say the Weiand was not made right. I would return it and either have them swap for another one or get something else. The Edelbrock Performer RPM and RPM Air-Gap are current state of the art designs and are considered the best dual planes availabel today.

I called up summit and told them whats going on and they said to send back the Weiand and they are overniting me a eddy performer. The summit tech guy and the customer service guy didnt sound too surprised when I told them that the Weiand didnt fit right.
So I will drop the motor in the scamp this weekend, and I just found out today that I have a torn meniscus and cartlage in my left knee, woo hoo yay me!!!

I got the new eddy performer from summit today and installed the intake,carb, valve covers, water neck, all the chrome plugs, and acessories.
Then I spent about 40 mins. just sitting in my garage and starring at the new, shiney, fresh painted 360 on the stand...It feels good!!!!

-
Back