Intake manifold bolt source

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
What is everyone buying for intake manifold bolts on small block LA (340) with LD340 or other aftermarket aluminum intake on cast iron heads? Measuring it myself the bolt should be about 1-1/2” long but every intake manifold bolt offered as “correct” are 1-1/4” long, which would be too short? If not for wrench clearance I would just use standard bolts. The bolts that came out when I pulled the old intake were mix matched regular bolts and some were 1-1/2” and some were 1-1/4” and there was no rhyme or reason as to why based on locations utilized.

If the 1-1/4 bolts grab by 3 threads, your good to go.

If I wanted to get intake manifold bolts, I just go to my local "Do-It" center. They rock all kinds of fasteners. Pretty sure they have bolts nearly identical to oem manifold bolts.

I've been using standard 3/8" - 16 x 1 1/2" standard hardware store bolts for years... The only position that may need a 1 1/4' length bolt is the front one on the passenger side near the water nipples for the heater hoses....

Internal hex cap screws work well for tight spaces. You need the proper washer though The heads are pretty small. You can find these pretty much anywhere hardware is sold. Even chrome plated.

cap screws.jpg

I'd use these if you want a smaller head. But they are pricey.

Attachments

• 94288A318_EXTREME-STRENGTH SS FLANGE HEAD CAP SCREW.PDF
    133.5 KB · Views: 146
-
Back