Intake manifold: Torker 340 vs dual plane

-

71blueduster

Reaction score
Right now I have a Torker 340 that I got for almost nothing but I hear alot of people calling it junk. I've been thinking about getting one of the Edelbrock dual planes such as an Air Gap/RPM/LD340.

I know I'd gain a lot on the low end over the Torker and they should all be able to pull up to 6000rpms. So would this be a good upgrade? And is the old LD340 just as good as an RPM?

You have a snappy cam, decent gearing, and a slippery convertor. The torker isnt "junk". It works in the applications it's designed for. Your's is close. The RPM or Air Gap are designed for wide rpm ranges, starting from just off idle. Depending on size of the engine, they may rev well over 6500 and make more torque in the ranges you drive in. (idle to 3500 or so). The Torker sacrifices low end torque and low rpm response for more total power, and usually more torque, but at a higher rpm peak, and not as flat a curve. If you do a lot of driving below 3000 rpm, then the RPM or Air Gap will feel quicker, and be snappier where you normally drive. So it would be a "better" intake even if the total power is slightly less. (Not all engines like single planes, but in most cases, they will make slightly more overall power)

As a owner of all 3 intakes.......

The TorkerII isn't up to par anymore. It could be used with good results. It lacks the torque of the other intakes. It also has a slight advantage in RPM over the other dual planes. Good for larger cams, the track and low clearance hoods. This intake is a good find with a on the cheap build in mind. You can make good power with it.

The RPM. I have the Air Gap model. Just a simple swap and nothing else done, an instant improvment was felt. No matter who I pass with that intake and have done the swap from TorkerII to RPM, they rave over it.

LD-340. I have a moded version. As per the MoPar engines book. This sucker screams with a T-Q on top. I have not been able to swap it out for a "See how it is vs the RPM." But I like it alot. I have not tried it in it's stock form.
The intake runners are older styled. As in not swept like the RPM. They are large and will make an improvment over the TorkerII on the street. (Even in it's modded form like I have it in.) The LD vs. the RPM should be a good match up, but I would have to give it to the RPM.

Right now I have a Torker 340 that I got for almost nothing but I hear alot of people calling it junk. I've been thinking about getting one of the Edelbrock dual planes such as an Air Gap/RPM/LD340

I know I'd gain a lot on the low end over the Torker and they should all be able to pull up to 6000rpms. So would this be a good upgrade? And is the old LD340 just as good as an RPM?
Old post but for readers of this post it was Car Craft or Hot Rod that tested every intake the could get their hands on and the #1 was the RPM air gap and the 340 torker was #2 and so cloose it was a wash and just as good..Why,because as cast the 340 torker is a smallish runner with excelent port to head layout so as the name says,it's a torquer and works good up top too.,They look good too.
Tarantula style intake

I've run a Victor 340 and Airgap, both deep ported. Airgap is .08 quicker in the 1/4 and pulls to 7K. May pull higher but that's the rev pill I use with a [email protected] cam.
From a guy ^^^^^^^^^
that’s been there, done that and still doing it on a regular basis, I’d listen.

I'm running an old Torker 340 on my 72 340. 727, 3500 tq, Cam with lots of overlap, 4.30 gear set. Runs great, instant throttle response etc. May eventually try an Airgap, but the free Torker is fine while I put money and time into other more urgent stuff.

Pat

Last edited:
Lots of trash talk on the Torker but remember like everything it was the greatest until a newer model came out. I've used it and it worked great!
To answer your question for the street you will gain nothing so use it, and it's a nice looking piece too!

Lots of trash talk on the Torker but remember like everything it was the greatest until
Thats correct - UNTIL - run it if ya got it ….
To answer your question for the street you will gain nothing so use it, and it's a nice looking piece too!
Nothing to gain vs a RPM? OMG! So wrong, sorry, but so wrong.

My son bought a 340 in Colorado and it had about the ugliest old style Torquer intake that I have ever seen. I did quite a bit of port work on it and matched it up to his ported Speedmaster heads. It should do ok.
C24A2079-07AC-4E28-B618-E8EAD174D91B.jpeg
EB11C024-52FB-405C-8BDB-1D0625EE2C43.jpeg
2CFB8000-F14E-47FA-9975-901797DD3E75.jpeg
04846FC9-4509-4D72-A794-AA13D891E9C1.jpeg

nice work, i think the op has a stock street driven car.
Back in 1972 a friend bought a new 340 'Cuda and replaced the stock intake with a Torker.
I can remember him wasting 400 Firebirds, GTO's, Camaros and many others.It was quite quick on the street, but was never raced at the track.
That was a long time ago!

Is there any difference between the original torker and the tm5?
Wonder if anyone ever compared dimensions of both intakes.
I agree, they both look great!

Is there any difference between the original torker and the tm5?
Wonder if anyone ever compared dimensions of both intakes.
I agree, they both look great!
I can NOT speak to the differences in the small block torker and the tm5 (tarantula), but the big block tarantula (tm7) has considerably taller runners at the plenum, and they stay taller than the torkers for a good portion of the length of the runner. They act like they are intended: the original 440 torker makes great midrange torque, the tm7 will support more top end horsepower.

Hey I bought one new back in the 1970’s and then move on to a Portosonic 360 years later. Of course back in those days I opened up the box and installed them. Sorry no back to back testing done.

If you have it, use it. As mentioned, with matching parts, it'll be ok. Are there better intakes? Yeah, but this is supposed to be fun and not something you pull your hair out over. Run it. It'll be fine. If you don't have it, then I advise otherwise.

The Tarantula's (TM5 on a SB) get confused with Torkers all the time. The difference is in the plenum volume and runner CCs. Same with the BB TM-6/7 and the Torker 383 and Torker 440. They all work well but time and research has gradually eclipsed them with newer offerings (Victors, M1s, Strip Dominator, etc.). Nice for retro/day2 builds that would use say, a M/T or Cal Custom valve covers and a low-tech long duration cam. I'm doing a 361 BB for a heavy C-body cruiser and I'm going with a 383 Streetmaster just for old school looks and not planning to exceed 5000rpm with a 625 carb. Similarly, I have wanted to use a 318 Streetmaster on a mild 318 with a sideways Holley 2bbl on a HVH adapter/tapered spacer. When you're not strictly racing, you can have fun being different.

-
Back