Intake Manifolds

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I've just been doing some more reading and I have a question concerning intakes. I found information on edelbrock, weiand but nothing really on the offenhauser intakes, are they a good intake for low to midrange torque and all around drive ability?

I've just been doing some more reading and I have a question concerning intakes. I found information on edelbrock, weiand but nothing really on the offenhauser intakes, are they a good intake for low to midrange torque and all around drive ability?
It depends on which one?

I had an Offenhauser 360 degree single plane on a mild 318 for many years. I was great, I replaced it with with an Edlebrock Performer after I did some work to the engine because I had no clue or review of the Offy and thought a dual plane night be an improvement. No notable difference. The Offy is lower profile good for hood clearance

yes
But like has been said, which one?

But honestly aftermarket intakes favor high-rpm power. So if your cam is stock or 340 sized, you'll be hard pressed to improve on the stock cast-iron dual-plane units.

If you want bottom-end torque/power, from a particular engine the thing to do is get the cylinder pressure up . The
135psi of the stock 318, is abysmal.
145psi is just less abysmal
155 is starting to come out of abysmal
165 is about the upper limit for iron open chamber heads.
As to closed-chamber/tight-Q, alloy heads
175 is about the minimum
185 is nice
195 is approaching the upper limit; and yes, I have run this, still on 87E10
205 is about the limit with best pump-gas. Very few on FABO admit to running here, and AFAIK, it was always with strokers.
-------------------------------
I can tell you that 195 is waaaaaaaaaay more than you need with a 360, on the street.
I am currently running 180, which IMO is a only just barely, a lil more than adequate lol. I wouldn't willingly run much less.

If I had a smaller engine,
with less stroke, I would be searching for more pressure. Almost invariably, with a 318, this means an earlier-closing intake event. For performance, I would NOT run open chambers unless with tight-Q specialty pistons.
For bottom end, I'd consider a long, small diameter intake runner, tuned for that. Second best would be a dualplane.
On my 318car, I installed a factory cast-iron smallport 4bbl with a big TQ, and it runs gangbusters, at 140 psi. But that engine was only used for my winter engine. My son was so impressed with it, he made me an offer I could'nt refuse. A few years later, he got a girlfriend, and traded me his beater D100 with my winter-engine in it, for a fresh old Grand-Am that I was driving. Oh the joys of having children. They each, all three of them, inherited one of my beaters, and a small sum to help with making a down-payment on a house.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
135psi is for lawn mowers.
Even my dead granny wouldn't run 135psi.
I would have said Grannies, plural, but my Father's Mother, born in 1905, long dead now, had 15 babies, the last of whom, now also dead, was just 10 year older than me, and Grandma never did learn how to drive a car; so you know, I can't speak for her, lol........................... but man could she bake! When I get to the otherside, Ima gonna go look for her, and invite her to come and cook for me, cuz I can't even make Kraft-Dinner right..
My grandma was nearly 60 years old when her baby finally flew the coop, and only because her husband, my Granpappy died, and Her family relocated Grandma off the farm, to a small retirement home, in a nearby city, where she could walk to visit friends. Cuz you know, she was only 60 and couldn't drive.
My guess is, that if she couldda driven, a sucked-out 135psi 318, wouldda been the hot-ticket for her, cz in 1965, everybody was still driving 6-bangers and flat-heads, lol. It's all about perspective, I guess.
Well except for Uncle Garry who had a monster tail-dragging Oldsmobile with a pair of sky-scraper-tall CB antennas mounted on that tail-dragging rear bumper, lol. To be fair, this I saw on Uncles Wedding-Day, thru my 12 year old eyes. Hyup, he's dead too. The boys are all dead. Of the 15, just the baby-girl is still breathing, but that won't be for long. She was never the healthy one, but she outlived them all, hah! She'd be deep into her eighties today, maybe into the nineties, which would then also make her the longest-living of the team.
But I digress, lol.

Last edited:
With what you are planning to do with your car Dan, you won’t notice a bit of difference between any of the low rise dual plane four barrel intakes (which is what you should have on it).

Your saying not to do any research, ask questions, see what performance modifications you maybe interested in. I think that's a stupid approach to do things.
I think he was poking fun again, on your not yet having a car. Maybe you caught that.
Like I said earlier,
This Forum ain't what it used to be.
It's like;
Everybody wants to be a comedian, but they just end up being hurtful.

You won’t. Offy’s aren’t as popular as the other 2. If you want a well researched and developed aftermarket intake, get the eddy. It’s not that it couldn’t be better, it can with porting, it’s well thought out design. Like aj said best bang for the buck is increasing cylinder pressure with a suitable cam and increasing compression.

How many of these “Other” intake manifolds do you see on cars and for sale. That alone should answer your question!

Your interested in 1 of the 4 intakes below:

RPM/RPM-AG
Performer
Stealth
Action Plus

Alternatives are;

OEM 4bbl
LD-340

It looks like your trying to get blood out of a stone, I'm all for 2.2l,/6,273,318 etc.. Builds and there are minor gains to be had down low 2000-3000 rpms with basic hot rodding, but it's basically gonna be what it is with what's available to us. There's no magic combination to get 360 cid + low end torque from a 318, if you really want strong down low torque build a bigger engine and or some kind of power adder. If a decent put together 318 makes enough low torque to satisfy you then fine, but you can try to over design/fret about the build ain't gonna do much more then the basic hot rodding set up that's been laid out over and over again.

A 5.2l magnum with a minor cr bump and headers and the right cam, beer barrel intake is probably max daily driver type performance out of a 318 especially with OD and gears.

Last edited:
If you want a really strong mild street engine and mildly warmed over 408 + version of the Magnum engine would be the ticket.

Your saying not to do any research, ask questions, see what performance modifications you maybe interested in. I think that's a stupid approach to do things.
Reading between the lines. He is saying all depends on the application the intake is used for.
Fyi, brand does not matter. Mild street motor 318,340 or 360 stock cast iron Mopar work well.
The 3 brands you mention in duel plane, plus Holley Street-Dom single plain will also work.
You are painting with a broad brush since you have no car or application to match it to.
Get a car 1st, did I mention Crap or get off the pot...... BTW, you are slacking! You are not even posting the cars you are not going to pretend buy.
Yawn.........

The only way to know which would be best on your eventual combo would be to try them all same with just about everything else, it's basically best guess unless your willing to do a lot of R&D to build the combo that suits you best.

BTW, you are slacking! You are not even posting the cars you are not going to pretend buy.
Yawn.........

too true, there's been some great cars popping up on here lately; and they're all in DTM's "supposed-ed-ed price range" too!

too true, there's been some great cars popping up on here lately; and they're all in DTM's "supposed-ed-ed price range" too!
I offered him my Swinger. I don't think he even saw it. Price went up now.

to aid in your research:

-
Back