intake swap

-

Jp5

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if i need to get a new intake/exhaust manifold gasket for my intake swap? going from the stock 1 bbl to a 4 bbl offy and want to make sure i've got all the parts before i start pulling things.

thanks again

jp

Not so fast, the intake is designed to slide on the gasket with its thermal expansion, thats why the washers are special and the torque is so low. A sliding intake is not going to "mate" the gasket so you got a pretty good chance itll seal right up, but for $9 and having it half apart, it makes sense to change it out while you are down there. Ide bolt both up to spec, then torque the heat riser bolt to allow it to center.

pista,
yeah i've got a gasket on the way. the engine was rebuilt not long ago so i'm guessing the gasket will be in good shape. but like you said, if i'm in there... thanks.

The exhaust manifolds warp very easily relative to your typical manifold and get hard to seal up. If you have not gone to www.slantsix.org and read the article on manifold installation, you really need to do so.

-
Back