Intake valley pan

-

z_daddy

z_daddy
Reaction score
Just rebuild 273 engine installed Big cam hyd / adj drive train was looking into putting a intake valley pan . Are they worth the money ? Any advantages other than keeping the intake clean and cooler ?? Thank you in advance Ray

It keeps the intake charge cooler which in turn usually results in more power. Although not enough you'd ever feel it.

X's2. I run one. Easy trim to fit. Helps the intake stay cooler.

the biggest reason for it , is to keep lifters from coming out in case of pushrod failure. it does help keep oil off intake and directs it back down on cam. doesn't hurt.

the biggest reason for it , is to keep lifters from coming out in case of pushrod failure. it does help keep oil off intake and directs it back down on cam. doesn't hurt.

I know they advertise it as making more power by keeping hot oil off the intake but the above reason is what I see as the big plus. If your spinning 6000 rpm and toss a pushrod and the lifter kicks out you have instant zero oil pressure. Even if you shut it down immediately by the time the engine stops spinning most likely you will have completely wiped out the bottom end. I put them in anything I plan on hot rodding just for extra insurance

Just rebuild 273 engine installed Big cam hyd / adj drive train was looking into putting a intake valley pan . Are they worth the money ? Any advantages other than keeping the intake clean and cooler ?? Thank you in advance Ray

Who sells these? Do they make SB versions, i can only find BB version?

Jake

Right out of the Milodon catalog:
LIFTER VALLEY BAFFLE
Keeps hot oil off the intake manifold, allowing a cooler fuel
mix making more power. Keeps surplus oil out of valve covers
leaving more in the oil pan. Maintains oil pressure, during
pushrod or rocker arm failure by keeping lifters in their bores,
except with roller cams.
Small Block Chevy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Big Block Chevy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Small Block Chrysler. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-32620

Right out of the Milodon catalog:
LIFTER VALLEY BAFFLE
Keeps hot oil off the intake manifold, allowing a cooler fuel
mix making more power. Keeps surplus oil out of valve covers
leaving more in the oil pan. Maintains oil pressure, during
pushrod or rocker arm failure by keeping lifters in their bores,
except with roller cams.
Small Block Chevy. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Big Block Chevy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Small Block Chrysler. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Also here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mil-32620

THANKS!!!!

Jake

Its not called an intake valley pan, thats B/RB Mopar/Ford Cleveland stuff (Bathtub intake gasket) Its called a lifter valley baffle. They are cheap insurance for a kicked lifter. The LA one is a formed metal sheet with pushrods holes and 2 spring steel retainers that rotate into position once the pan is down there over the cam windows. I dont think they make them for rollers. Milodon is the only ones Ive seen, Ive seen gold, silver and bluish color.

Attachments

• 112314202548.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 337
I realize this is a very old post but have a question for the group. For anyone who has used one of these, or the Moroso piece, does anyone know if they can be modified for use on a factory roller LA, or Magnum block? I know they clearly state they can't be used with roller lifters, but possibly they work on factory roller blocks?

I believe they are too low for a roller lifter, ie. it will hit. you could make one if you got some sheetmetal and a good eye. Could use the spider bolts as studs for the baffle. Agree, the lifter retention feature is far more important to me than the "oil control" after my pushrod eating 351C motor. I used to carry 2 spare pushrods in the glove box, no joke.

Jusr a quick question? That would not make a difference on a divorced intake, would it?

I mean....that is to say anything with a divorced intake, like the big Chrysler and early Hemis for example, they already have that benefit.....so "make a difference" is kinda a moot point, since they already benefit from that.

Did that make sense?

Like on a big block Chrysler? I don't see how it could.
The 383 4-speed i built for the 68 Coronet i had in the 90s had to have one, with the ol Weiand street single plane high rise..and come to think, I've Never had a big block intake that Didnt need one. Man, long day... ugh. I'm The Dumbass ...

Last edited:
I mean....that is to say anything with a divorced intake, like the big Chrysler and early Hemis for example, they already have that benefit.....so "make a difference" is kinda a moot point, since they already benefit from that.

Did that make sense?
Absolutely, and with a ol Strip Dominator, on an SB, there is nothing to gain from that.... except I'd probably get some vacuum leaks and oil leaks all kind of stupid ****...

The reason for the ask, I am planning to swap my Victor off for a long highway trip, putting on a dual plane I have without an air gap. I was hoping to keep the hot oil off of the backside, perhaps as usual, I am overthinking things????

I am overthinking things????
Yes, probably. 99% of cars on the road and at the track get by without the pan just fine, from the oil control standpoint. I'm not saying it doesn't do what people say it does. Now if you're worried about lifter retention during a failure, that is a different story.

-
Back