Intellitronix Fuel Gauge Reverse

-

jpstewart19

Reaction score
Installed an Intellitronix setup in my '73 Dart and all of the gauges work well except the fuel gauge seems to be reading in reverse (it counts up as I use gas). The fuel gauge worked well with the old cluster (only gauge that did).

Before I try replacing the sender anyone have any ideas? I made sure the sender was grounded well, and even ran a fresh wire from the sender to the cluster.

Open to suggestions.

First, try to contact Intellitronix.
To me it sounds like you've got something hooked up backward.
Our sending units are 5-8 ohms full and 60-75 ohms empty.
Other brands can read opposite. A Jeep Cherokee, for instance, reads 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full.
Stands to reason that their electronics are capable of reading either, just with a different hookup or setting.
As I said, call them.

"I bet" there's some programming some place to change that. Provide links, the model number? Destructions?

Mine also counts from 0 to about 70 and I have to put in 16 gallons of gas. I meant to check what the capacity of my tank was but I forgot. Time to check that now. I carry extra gas in the trunk, Trufuel from home depot as an emergency. It sits in the spare tire well.

1669264135659.png

There should be a calibration for different years of mopar. The book that it came with does it have a calibration? Usually on the unit there's two itty bitty switches either put them both up both down or one up and one down depending on the setting. I have a universal one that does Ford Chevy and Mopar and I worked on a Ford only one that had four different settings for Ford...

Also in the instructions it talks about if the switch is on the front of the board or the back of the board maybe you just have it backwards...

I don't see anything about calibrating anything other than the voltmeter and Speedo. Nothing on the fuel gauge I can find anywhere

Also in the instructions it talks about if the switch is on the front of the board or the back of the board maybe you just have it backwards...
I don't see anything about calibrating anything other than the voltmeter and Speedo. Nothing on the fuel gauge I can find anywhere, or the switches you are referring to

Yes . Same one. I have an install thread here somewhere but I did not address the fuel gauge in it
Man thats 2...has to be some kind of issue. I bought a MeterMatch to see if it resolves the issue, just haven't gotten around to installing it. Assuming there is no other solution, I will let you know if it helps to resolve.

At this point, contacting the manufacturer seems to be the only option

I'll check tomorrow morning but carefully look through the instructions again..

Mine reads the same way. I didn't see anything in the instructions on how to reverse it. I just got used to the readout. I find it to be very accurate in my particular car.

Please let us know how you make out with Intellitronix. I found them easy to talk to on the phone.

Jack

Fwiw, I did not follow the instructions to the letter. I did use the existing wire in my dash wiring. It was working fine to begin with. I have a tanksinc fuel injection tank and their sender. I did not want to run a new wire under the carpet and seats. To me when it gets to 60 I am on the lookout for fuel. The counting up or down did not bother me.

Make it three, at first I thought it was not accurate until I realized it was reading opposite, I couldn't correct it but I got used to it. it's extremely accurate but istead of showing me I'm 90% full I'm 90% empty lol.

Make it three, at first I thought it was not accurate until I realized it was reading opposite, I couldn't correct it but I got used to it. it's extremely accurate but istead of showing me I'm 90% full I'm 90% empty lol.
I haven't emptied it yet, so i'm not sure yet what it will read empty, but have a feeling it will be about what was said above - 0-70 with 70 being empty and 0-10 being full

Maybe I misunderstood, mine doesn't read like that it just reads 0 when full or 100 when empty, I have a fuel cell so its really easy to check and its very accurate.

Maybe I misunderstood, mine doesn't read like that it just reads 0 when full or 100 when empty, I have a fuel cell so its really easy to check and its very accurate.
It actually says 100 or 99?...

It actually says 100
Now that you mention it I believe it said 99 when I tipped the sending unit upside down, and 1 when upright/full. I never see that in the car since it's never 100% full or empty, only seen the "teens" a few times.

Now that you mention it I believe it said 99 when I tipped the sending unit upside down, and 1 when upright/full. I never see that in the car since it's never 100% full or empty, only seen the "teens" a few times.
When I fill my tank it only goes up to 99%... I think it's just the fact that there's only two digits there available...

Again for my Dodge truck since they don't have a direct fit I had to use the universal kit which gives different settings. But when I use this for the 67 to 72 Ford truck it fit the facade cluster and just had different Ford settings. So I assume the one that fit the a body may have different Dodge or aftermarket gauge settings...

IMG_20221124_122023271.jpg

Again for my Dodge truck since they don't have a direct fit I had to use the universal kit which gives different settings. But when I use this for the 67 to 72 Ford truck it fit the facade cluster and just had different Ford settings. So I assume the one that fit the a body may have different Dodge or aftermarket gauge settings...
Unfortunately the DP1805 is supposed to be a direct replacement and doesn't have these switches...very frustrating

-
Back