Interior assistance requested

-

sinc66

Reaction score
I'm a rookie at these forums so here goes. We are trying to finish restoring my son's 68 Dart GTS. The interior was a bench type and we are trying to go back to the original buckets. In the process, we are trying to finish the headliner. The headliner bows that we purchased on ebay just came all taped together. We are trying to find out the color-order of the bows from front to back so we can finally, after 5 years, get this car back on ther road where it belongs. Any help with the bow placements would be greatly appreciated.

I'm a rookie at these forums so here goes. We are trying to finish restoring my son's 68 Dart GTS. The interior was a bench type and we are trying to go back to the original buckets. In the process, we are trying to finish the headliner. The headliner bows that we purchased on ebay just came all taped together. We are trying to find out the color-order of the bows from front to back so we can finally, after 5 years, get this car back on ther road where it belongs. Any help with the bow placements would be greatly appreciated.

What I did for my 'Cuda:

Lay them out on the floor, shortest to longest or vice versa

Now take the shortest and see if it fits the front or back. My shortest
one was for the front on the 'Cuda.

You can see where I'm going here......now see if the rest fall right
into place. If your shortest one is in front then your longest is probably
the rear one.

One more thing...Welcome to FABO!

If Tony's method doesn't work, send me a pm and I'll look at some of the bows I have. I saved them in order on cardboard. I'll be back from MMW Sunday.

WELCOME TO FABO!!
This is a place where people are knowledgable and freindly plus like to see pictures of any A body no matter the condition.

Sorry, Tony. I coach high school football and we had a real busy weekend with that and going to a car show in Jefferson, Wisconsin. I gave the information to a friend of mine and he seems to think that it will work. When the restoration shop did some of the work, they left a lot of loose ends, so to speak. They had the car for five years and didn't get it done so I pulled it from there and we're trying to finish it. The interior and brakes were the major issues left. I then come to find out that one of the previous owners (we bought the car off ebay from California) must have switched the rear end for a later model rear. Trying to find the brake drums to fit has been a nightmare. The car looks gorgeous. I'm dying to get it out on the road. Sits right, 68 medium blue (like B-5), 340, 4 speed. Everyone,including yourself and all the other guys with feedback have been extremely helpful. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Thanks again and keep the shiny side up! Craig

Hi Craig -
Welcome to FABO - you're gonna have fun here!
I think you did great getting back with a reply since you coach HS football. Shoot, if you were in Texas we wouldn't get a reply until after the season since HS football is a 'religion' down there.
Kinda funny how cars change states. You bought your sons '68 Dart on eBay out of California, and here I am in California and I bought my '69 Dart on eBay our of Oregon. You'd think we could find something in our own state!
Anyway, welcome again to FABO. Post some pics of your sons car the way it is now. We love all pics, before, in-process, and after completion.

Sorry, Tony. I coach high school football and we had a real busy weekend with that and going to a car show in Jefferson, Wisconsin. I gave the information to a friend of mine and he seems to think that it will work. When the restoration shop did some of the work, they left a lot of loose ends, so to speak. They had the car for five years and didn't get it done so I pulled it from there and we're trying to finish it. The interior and brakes were the major issues left. I then come to find out that one of the previous owners (we bought the car off ebay from California) must have switched the rear end for a later model rear. Trying to find the brake drums to fit has been a nightmare. The car looks gorgeous. I'm dying to get it out on the road. Sits right, 68 medium blue (like B-5), 340, 4 speed. Everyone,including yourself and all the other guys with feedback have been extremely helpful. I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Thanks again and keep the shiny side up! Craig

I was just curious Craig O:)

Did you win! (football)

Also what brake drums are you looking for? Somebody in the group
may have them.

Yes, we won. We have a pretty decent team if I say so myself. I retired from teaching a couple years ago but still coaching football and baseball.

Getting to the car. A good friend of mine has a lift and we were working on the brakes yesterday. The restoration shop said they couldn't find drums. We found the front right in a NAPA store here but ordered a used set from Stevens Performance. The guy was extremely helpful. Both front and rear brakes are 10 inches. According to all the books, 68 Darts never had 10 inch drums on the rear. I've purchased so many unnecessary parts at swap meets thinking that I had a correct 1968 Dart rear end in the car. If these don't work out I may end up asking if anyone out there does have a set.

The welcome I have received has been great. We have basically the last show coming up in about 10 days. I hope to have the car drivable for that show. I want it to be safe, especially if my son is driving it.

I'll try to get some pictures and post them. We're going to put the stripe on back later. I also have to get the back panel restored. When I bought it at a show, it looked great. Now that the car is painted and all, it looks like !@#$%^!!! compared to the rest of the car.

Take care and thanks, Tony, and all the rest of you guys out there!

The restoration shop said they couldn't find drums. We found the front right in a NAPA store here but ordered a used set from Stevens Performance. The guy was extremely helpful. Both front and rear brakes are 10 inches. According to all the books, 68 Darts never had 10 inch drums on the rear. I've purchased so many unnecessary parts at swap meets thinking that I had a correct 1968 Dart rear end in the car. If these don't work out I may end up asking if anyone out there does have a set.

You want two right side drums, the only difference is the left side drum has left hand thread studs which you don't want.

What books are you looking in? My 68 had 10" rear drums. If you have 10" front you should have 10" rear

Just out of curiosity: Why do you think your car came with bucket seats?

Let me know your seat code and I can tell you for sure.

Later,
Bruce B.

When I did mine in my 67 barracuda, the new headliner came with the color codes on the headliner where each one went.

That would be great! I have ordered a new headliner. Hopefully,it will have the color codes. Thanks AW Dodge, sinc66

I don't have thew car at home so I don't have the seat code. My son and I did some research years ago, I believe using the tag on the fender. Originally, it was a bucket seat, console, automatic car

Actually, we were looking at the availability of drums in the Year One catalog. It made sense to me that if the fronts were 10 inch, the rears should be, also. About right now, I can be talked into anything ( don't rip me too much for that last statement. LOL!!). sinc 66

If the car was a factory bucket seat car, it will have the extra supports spot welded to the floor where the seat bolts down. The bench cars used a different set of holes and don't have the supports.

-
Back