Intermittent spark

-
Have any of you heard of spark plugs getting so fouled they don’t spark at all?
After replacing my distributor pickup with the one from the old distributor, the coil wire will spark on the intake manifold perfectly fine now when it’s disconnected but the engine still won’t fire when I hook everything back up. I’ve pulled the #1 plug to find TDC to make sure the timing is at least close but still no fire. My plugs are extremely fouled because I never got the chance to tune the carb. That’s what I was about to do when all of this happened.
image.jpg
. Edit: I’ve removed the spark plug from the head and set it on the intake manifold plugged into the distributor and spun the distributor shaft by hand. It sparks just like any other plug I’ve seen. I don’t understand why this thing won’t fire up.

Last edited:
I pulled more plugs out and they were all wet with gas and I haven’t been pumping the throttle at all. I took the carb off and the inside of the intake manifold was soaked in gas. I pulled all of the plugs and disconnected the fuel feed line and turned the engine over. I was shocked at how much fuel came out of the spark plug holes. I’m letting it dry out now before I start a fire.
I guess I have a carb problem instead of a spark problem.

I pulled more plugs out and they were all wet with gas and I haven’t been pumping the throttle at all. I took the carb off and the inside of the intake manifold was soaked in gas. I pulled all of the plugs and disconnected the fuel feed line and turned the engine over. I was shocked at how much fuel came out of the spark plug holes. I’m letting it dry out now before I start a fire.

Sounds about right.

My kid left the key in my Nissan truck on after he aired up his bike tire.
I found it later in the day where the motor was hydraulic locked from the cylinders being fuel of fuel.
I pulled the plugs, disabled the ignition and hit the key.
It shot gas clear up on the roof of our house.:D

If that much gas came out of the spark plug holes then you might have a lot of gas in your oil too. Probably need to change your oil so you don't ruin your bearings and scuff cylinder walls.

If that much gas came out of the spark plug holes then you might have a lot of gas in your oil too. Probably need to change your oil so you don't ruin your bearings and scuff cylinder walls.
Yeah I have everything to do it. I’m just trying to get it to stop dumping fuel before I waste another 6 quarts of fresh oil.

I used those high performance E3 plugs in my 340 stroker fouled within 2 weeks went back to Champion no problems

My first guess would be the ecu , they can go bad and act just like the problem you described

-
Back