Internal Conflict! To change or not to change.

-
Similar questions with my 65 Dart GT. I try to do bolt-on mod.s where I can always go back to original. Maybe drill a few holes, but not hack up the inner fenders and such. My paint and body isn't original, though the color is probably close (light yellow). I must repaint since rust is showing thru some body work and the paint has runs. I am currently re-doing the interior and see repairs to both sides, both doors and quarter panels (viewed from inside), and the left strut ripped thru at one time (LCA folded back?). I will repaint light yellow, with white top between the chrome.

I have a 65 Dart convertible. Re-built engine and trans. Did all new drum brakes,gas tank, sending unit, alternator, voltage reg, kept car all original. To me it was important to keep the car original. Painted WW1white and a ruby red interior. Interior in good condition.

To me, I would much rather have a nicely done car that previously was a slant six or something that really didn't have much value, but a car that I could drive with pride. Originality is one thing, but functionality is another.

Paint it how you want. Color plays a big role in a car. Red cars tend to bring more that other colors. Early A's are not big money, so have fun.

I agree with others do as you see fitting your ideology. My 65 formula s cuda now has 318 anid front disc brakes dual master cylinder for instance! safety first in my case of ideology! I also need to paint it upcoming next job to finish restoration. It was originally dark blue no stripes. I will probably go with the dark blue as I like the color, but I would love to have the formula s stripes on it! I think they are cool and fit this car so much!!! I again is a personal choice and as you will find out the early a bodies do not have the high dollar investment issues later mopars may have! One might think as in my case the early cudas with biggest glass window ever made in a American car are worth big dollars! One would laugh at the easienes of finding these windows and how many people have gardens growing under!!! I learned fast about my first 66 cuda and just love them! The 66 got wrecked by an old man who hit it coming out of his driveway in the rain, as I just was putt putting home from track one weekend...a sad loss! Now finishing restoration of my new baby I am going to drive her and have fun.......you do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! enjoy the ride Mopar or No Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A car is original only once . You could have what is referred to as a survivor car ,factory paint motor and trans etc,etc,etc find someone that really knows about the survivor cars and go from there . I only have a opinion . I'm really excited about altering the wheel base on mine . Oh and my car is an original V 8 without documentation .

old thread, but my thoughts:

I really llike stock, but as others have noted, our early A's are (mostly) cheapies--we're not talking convertible hemi cuda here. A paint job can always be put back if needed--I'd paint it what I liked. Yes--it's still original, but you said worn and needing some work. Anyway--it's been a couple of years---how did it come out?

-
Back