Internal engine cleaning?

-

xlexl

Reaction score
So the good 'ol 185k 318 in my zj is getting tired and I need to try and keep her going for as long as possible before rebuild due to current financial situation. Need to do a tranny flush. Wondering about cleaning sludge an carbon deposits out of the motor and best way and chemical to use. Also wondering what you guys think about doing it in the first place. Worried that cleaning it out my dislodge something that's "plugging" the motor from something worse happening. Have been siting on a bottle of seafoam for a while now debating this. Figure might as well ask you guys that have a lot more experience than I do. Thanks in advance :)

I don't recommend engine flushes for the very reason that worried you. Just do the required oil and filter changes and save your money for an overhaul or maybe a good used, low mileage, replacement.

Good to know, have been wondering whether I've been worried about something that generally isn't an issue, sounds like it's a good thing I leftthe stuff on the shelf.

I suspect the screen on the oil pump pick up is mostly clogged already. Dont flush more junk down there unless you plan to install a new oil pump and pick up.

I used seafoam in my wifes van but its only got 80,000 miles on it. Half a can in the gas, half in the oil. In your case I would just stay up on the oil changes.

So deffinitly sounds like oil system is probably a bad idea what about intake and combustion chambers/valves.

As far as the transmission goes, when you say "flush', do you just mean drain the pan and change the filter and refill, or are you planning on taking it somewhere to have it flushed? I'd avoid an actual flush for the same reasons you mentioned on the engine. I guess I'm assuming automatic...

Correct assumption. And yes I was thinking of having it actually flushed. Hoping that it would clean the passages up, keeping it cooler And prolonging it's life. Didn't think that there would be a similar issues as with cleaning a high millage motor but I could defiantly see the similarities. Hate driving time bombs lol but since the tranny isn't slipping and the 500+ machine work isn't in the cards right now suppose just keep driving it until my tailpipe looks like the top of an active volcano lol.

Correct assumption. And yes I was thinking of having it actually flushed. Hoping that it would clean the passages up, keeping it cooler And prolonging it's life. Didn't think that there would be a similar issues as with cleaning a high millage motor but I could defiantly see the similarities. Hate driving time bombs lol but since the tranny isn't slipping and the 500+ machine work isn't in the cards right now suppose just keep driving it until my tailpipe looks like the top of an active volcano lol.

I use Seafoam in the gas tank and to clean the combustion chambers it does a lot to clean the heads. But you have do it where there is no one around and use the power brake booster line to slowly draw it into the heads and wait 20 minutes. Keep the idle up so it don't bog the engine and it will smoke a lot. That is why I say to do it some place out of the way.

Thanks for the info guys. May try it right before the next oil change to make sure that if crap falls in there I get it out ASAP.

Next oil change, run synthetic. If you can afford it, run synthetic for the the next 2 changes, It should take care of any sludge you have. Cant say much for the broken valve seals lodged in your pickup already. As for cleaning the cylinders, Seafoam is fun, but dribbling water into the high idle carb works great too, and is free. Just point it away from property, do it in a bank parking lot on a sunday morning.

At 185k miles I would leave it alone and just drive it till it dies, flushing all the carbon and sludge into the pan and oil filter is just going to cause problems like a spun bearing or at best just clog the oil pump pickup. Seafoaming the top end (sucking it into the intake) is ok, it might loosen some carbon off the intake valves and make the engine run a little better but leave the oiling system alone.

At 185k miles I would leave it alone and just drive it till it dies, flushing all the carbon and sludge into the pan and oil filter is just going to cause problems like a spun bearing or at best just clog the oil pump pickup. Seafoaming the top end (sucking it into the intake) is ok, it might loosen some carbon off the intake valves and make the engine run a little better but leave the oiling system alone.
x2......a buddy owns a trans shop, if you mention a flush around him you might want to duck.....

Thanks for the helpful info guys. Really appreciate it :) should have asked months ago lol...who knows since Ive been stuck in the truck forever maybe I'll stRt a post about the tuning issues on the cuda lol

From experience of not learning anything the first time, flush will clog the pump screen and starve the engine=spun bearings.

When you are ready to rebuild the engine, you might want to try what I did. I had an engine that NEEDED rebuilt. (128,000 miles NEVER had oil changed when I bought it) Changed oil filter, added 1 qt. Dexron atf, ran 30 min at highway speed after warmed up, (oil was black as diesel) changed oil and filter, 4 qt. oil 1 qt. Dex, annother 30 min cruse. When I tore it down, there were NO chunks in the pan or on the pickup, and the engine was spotless inside! There were no signs of scoring/spun bearings, or dammage to bearings/cylinder walls from this.

I also have a ZJ with a 318, mines got 192k. I just use that Restore oil additive and it seems to keep it running strong.

"As for cleaning the cylinders, Seafoam is fun, but dribbling water into the high idle carb works great too, and is free. Just point it away from property, do it in a bank parking lot on a sunday morning. "

Ah.......old school. Yes this works great but when your done go blow it out on the interstate.

I have always used Transmission Fluid in the engine. Warm the car up and dump a quart of Tranny Fluid in it. Let it run or drive the car around for 20-30 minutes. Drain the oil, change the filer and oil, your done! It will clean the inside out really good for a couple bucks.

When you are ready to rebuild the engine, you might want to try what I did. I had an engine that NEEDED rebuilt. (128,000 miles NEVER had oil changed when I bought it) Changed oil filter, added 1 qt. Dexron atf, ran 30 min at highway speed after warmed up, (oil was black as diesel) changed oil and filter, 4 qt. oil 1 qt. Dex, annother 30 min cruse. When I tore it down, there were NO chunks in the pan or on the pickup, and the engine was spotless inside! There were no signs of scoring/spun bearings, or dammage to bearings/cylinder walls from this.

I agree ATF is the best cleaner and it is Cheap! I have always used it!

i would leave the engine as is, running 15w /40 diesel oil will slowly clean up an engine with its high detergent package.

-
Back