intial, and max advance ????

-

jammied

Reaction score
Just looking for some timing input on my combination?

340 .030 over trw flat tops

185-190 psi compression test on all cyclinders

magnum heads with undercut ss valves and cleaned up bowl and pushrod pinch

mp 228/[email protected] camshaft

air gap intake port and gasket matched to the heads

holley 770 ultra street advenger

hooker super comp tuned headers with 1 5/8" primaries

mopar distributor with hei module and a fbo limiter plate

3700# weight

It runs strong right now. I have the distributor set up for 16 intial 34 total and all in around the 2800 rpm range. right now I get a little starter kick back when hot and have to back the intial down to 10-12 to get rid of the kick back so my total drops to 28-30. it seems as though when I set it back to 12 that it really likes 34 better than 30. I havnt had any detination yet. just wondering if these settings sound pretty close to what it should be?

Thanks for any help or advice

I would be looking at the starting system. Check all battery and starter connections. Make sure you have ENOUGH grounds and they are all clean and tight. Also run a starter amperage draw test on it. You should be able to put more initial in it than that.

that's what I was thinking. tomorrow I am going to put a high tourque mini starter on it and double check the the power and groung wires to the starter.

I was pretty surprised that this mild mopar cam has some lope idling! and comes on pretty strong at about 2000

First thing to do is duplicate the problem (hot) and then see if it cranks with the coil wire grounded. If the cranks good, then you have a timing problem

Have you verified (piston stop) that the TDC mark is actually correct?

Yeah what he said ^^^^^^ That's a good ideer.

I verified the timing mark on the harmonic balancer with a tdc stop when I was done degreeing the cam. The cam said to install at 108 The 3 key way cloyes set I had it was either 106.5 or the other key way would put it to 110 so I installed the cam at 106.5

With 190 cranking psi and that small of a cam you don't need more than 12 to 16, I have 200 psi and mine runs better at right around 15 not 20 or more. Usually the higher initial is needed more with low compression big cam motors. Check your starter system but if it checks out fine then your initial will be where it wants to be.

10-4 Yeah the starter does seem a little strange like it is kicking in and out while cranking and doesn't want to turn the engine very good.

I ran a 223/230 cam in my 360. It was happy at 12/34(aluminum heads.)
My current cam is 230/237 and is happy with 14/32.
I ran about 8.66Dcr with both and burn 87E10, with no problems.
I run the mini starter.
My cylinder pressure is a little lower
I run a Vcan and it's pretty fast and aggressive

well think I got it worked out now. The starter off of my 95 parts Dakota found its way onto the 340 it has a lot more cranking power! I set the intial at 18 all in at 34 no starter kick back now and the carb tuned to it really easily. Then set the sensitivity on the vacuum advance so it will pull in 28 degrees off of the manifold vacuum any more than that and it wants to surge down the road.

I bet that rascal is a LOT more peppy now.

Yes it is!! Really surprised at how much snap and get it this combination has. Throttle response doesn't feel sluggish at all even with the 770 ultra advenger I figured it would feel softer on throttle response, but its all there. Might take it to a dyno someday just to do some fine tuning and see if there is any more ponies to be had. But then again this little motor surprised me it pulls strong and hard. Hopefully it will run in the 8.80 bracket in the 1/8 and I'm pretty sure that's not going to be a problem even with the heavy car weight.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice guys

You had success because you listened. Glad it worked out!

-
Back