INTO THE SAUCE EARLY TODAY

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I haven't cracked a bottle of Jim Beam at 5 a.m. in a long time (probably never ha ha) but I did today.....another attempt at smoking a pork butt roast on the BBQ. I picked up a sweet bourbon rub while in New Orleans, mop sauce includes bourbon, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes. Let's see if I screw this one up!
IMG_3639.jpg

Don't tell anyone but I put some in my last cup of coffee most every morning :thumbsup: I wish my grill was started this early, I better get out there now !!!!! Have a Jim of a day everyone :D

abody 66 5.jpg

I haven't cracked a bottle of Jim Beam at 5 a.m. in a long time (probably never ha ha) but I did today.....another attempt at smoking a pork butt roast on the BBQ. I picked up a sweet bourbon rub while in New Orleans, mop sauce includes bourbon, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes. Let's see if I screw this one up!View attachment 1715154108

If that one does not come out, I will give you an easy recipe that is almost fool-proof.

I have to transfer to the foil pan at 165 degrees, gotta keep my eye on meat and grill surface temp. Mop with sauce once an hour, that's when I'm checking temp.
IMG_3640 (1).jpg

Back before I retired, I would take a port roast, put it corockpot all day on low, while at work, then I would put it on grill on low slow heat, set it on tinfoil with holes poked in it and let it smoke, and fat drain off. Mop it with sauce if so inclined.

Leftovers? put it in skillet with Sweet baby rays bbq, WHERE is the tater salad!??

Back before I retired, I would take a port roast, put it corockpot all day on low, while at work, then I would put it on grill on low slow heat, set it on tinfoil with holes poked in it and let it smoke, and fat drain off. Mop it with sauce if so inclined.

Leftovers? put it in skillet with Sweet baby rays bbq, WHERE is the tater salad!??

That sounds good. The crockpot is where I had my last fail. The problem was in the meat selection, I got a leaner cut, it ended up being tough, would not shred even after resting 30 minutes. Todays selection is a 6 pounder with a nice fat slab.

Pork roast, is one thing, Boston Butt is what I call shoulder...... anyway, I would be surprised if any cut of pork or beef did not cook up tender in crock all day on low heat.
I do a pork shoulder in crock with 1 can of soda pop, put a little brown sugar and a few chipolte peppers ( canned) on top, on low all day, it will have a little sweet moist and somewhat hottest flavor. Let it sit 30 minutes after cooking to absorb some more juice,
But you can't necessarily go by me.. I love cheesy grits, boiled peanuts, crawdads ( mudbugs to some), greens, and 62 Lancers!!ll lol

Pork roast, is one thing, Boston Butt is what I call shoulder...... anyway, I would be surprised if any cut of pork or beef did not cook up tender in crock all day on low heat.
I do a pork shoulder in crock with 1 can of soda pop, put a little brown sugar and a few chipolte peppers ( canned) on top, on low all day, it will have a little sweet moist and somewhat hottest flavor. Let it sit 30 minutes after cooking to absorb some more juice,
But you can't necessarily go by me.. I love cheesy grits, boiled peanuts, crawdads ( mudbugs to some), greens, and 62 Lancers!!ll lol

The crockpot never came off of low, the toughness was in cooking too long and a lean cut of pork. I believe this cut is Blade Boston Butt Primal.

You're making me hungry !!
Where are you at Bellingham ?
Im leaving Stanwood see you in a few !!

Good luck on the pork butt, hope it comes out how you want it. Im sure you'll get it this time.

Have gotten up at the butt crack of dawn and BBQ'd all day to make shoe leather before. Never a good day. Glad to see your back at it.

Speaking of getting in the sauce, I think I'll have a sip or two.

Love the timing of this thread! Just finished installing a few security cameras on the house, and test fitting the repaired taillight assemblies in the Duster. The "Boss" went shopping and came home with a bottle of Jim for me. Just poured a few fingers to sip! Then off to the garage again to organize a few shelves. Now if I only had some of 71340's roast......

Love the timing of this thread! Just finished installing a few security cameras on the house, and test fitting the repaired taillight assemblies in the Duster. The "Boss" went shopping and came home with a bottle of Jim for me. Just poured a few fingers to sip! Then off to the garage again to organize a few shelves. Now if I only had some of 71340's roast......
Well done!

Stanwood is south of Bellingham, next to Camano Island , and north of Marysville.

As an elderly sage of life reminded me once, you can't drink all day if you don't start at breakfast!

Smoking meat is one of God's Gifts to us all. I've been using a Traeger for a couple of years and everything I make in it is is fantastic. Your pulled pork is inspiring me to light the flame again ...

I've had days when I think I should start drinking as soon as I get up. That way I would have an excuse for the way the rest of my day went.
Yote

-
Back