Intro to a port job

-
Heineken?!? F**k that sh*t, PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!
Ehh, did that for a while, got sick of the taste.
Then Busch tall cans as well, same deal...
I have to switch it up, grolsh , Heineken, peroni, mythos, asahi, Orion, hite, is the latest course.

Another pic of the low profile valve job.
.060 vsi sits flush to the chamber.

20180409_150419.jpg

20180409_150207.jpg

20180409_150200.jpg

Looks as if a good deshrouding cut, and opening up the intake bowl with a steeper angle bowl hog could really help with out the need for seats.

Just my .02

Looks as if a good deshrouding cut, and opening up the intake bowl with a steeper angle bowl hog could really help with out the need for seats.

Just my .02

Just my .02

A serdi job goes about 250.00, I'd rather a cutter than a stone when doing that... that's not an approach id use in this case because the existing top cut is .060 deep, being how wide these angles are...that puts the seat angle almost .100 down... I'm not sinking it more. If I get the valve proud...i can get big flow .100-.400 , not just .500+
To my knowledge there isn't a ton wrapped up in these heads, nor does there need to be...but there is some room to invest if he'd like to.

I know I could buzz through these and get 245+ can without much time....but there's more to it, I do things differently...i know.

Last edited:
I am missing the german beer here... :p
Otherwise that's a good selection... except Heineken.
I've never heard anyone's distaste for Heineken before, it's just a beer on sale and I like lighter beers most of the time. Carlsberg is another one I like, pacifico is good, bohemia is my favorite south of the border beer. I can't stand the ipa craze too much, I'll take a heffiweisen, drank too much smoked stone porter.... I remember watching half of the crowd vomiting from it at their stone brewery day. Idk, bud was a regular...but it's too sweet, full of formaldehyde and I always get a headache from it about 5 beers in...

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone's distaste for Heineken before, it's just a beer on sale and I like lighter beers most of the time. Carlsberg is another one I like, pacifico is good, bohemia is my favorite south of the border beer. I can't stand the ipa craze too much, I'll take a heffiweisen, drank too much smoked stone porter.... I remember watching half of the crowd vomiting from it at their stone brewery day. Idk, bud was a regular...but it's too sweet, full of formaldehyde and I always get a headache from it about 5 beers in...
I think he is saying except Heineken because it is German. I'm sorry I brought the beer thing up.
I want to see some head porting!

My earlier post was actually a movie reference (Blue Velvet), sadly nobody appreciates the classics anymore...

So when does the actual port job begin? I would think a before and after flow test would be in order. Pic heavy I'm assuming. J.Rob

I missed the last 2 posts.

Yes, I do a before flow test... though it's very predictable..;)

The valves are sunk and that is killing low lift flow because there is a pocket around the valve.... .100 lift is shrouded by the chamber .060 deep from the sunk valve job , if they just did a top chamber side cut that would help BIG TIME. In this scenario .100 becomes. 040 if that.

At .100 lift the valve is shrouded so bad the pressure was too high.

Cfm as sent to me...

.100 35
.200 90.5
.300 145.9
.400 187.7
.500 207

Last edited:
I went ahead and did a mild bowl blend, which basically removed 1/8 from the I.D of the bowl and mild short side blend.

Now the numbers and a lesson for you...
.100 .... 36
.200 92
.300 145.9
.400 196
.500 219
Low lift is in the toilet.
Back to that pocket the intake sits in, shrouded and choked.... I took a very small bit and blended that lip all the way around the chamber side and re tested.

.100 59.6
.200 116.7
.300 170
.400 209
.500 224
Notice the low lift jump , not great, but it's there now.
I say it all time, dont sink the valves...it kills the low lift flow like you cant even imagine.
These heads need a good valve job.

Pardon my ignorance, or just plainly missing something here, but... what is the purpose of putting in larger valves in a head,(other than having new valves) if nothing is done leading up to that valve? I just don't see any gain at all in doing so.

Pardon my ignorance, or just plainly missing something here, but... what is the purpose of putting in larger valves in a head,(other than having new valves) if nothing is done leading up to that valve? I just don't see any gain at all in doing so.
Ask the machinist that did these, it was his responsibility to properly throat and top cut these.If you just put in a large valve and do nothing besides cut a massive 45... it will flow less air.
These heads 'as delivered' were not suited to be on any engine. The valves sunk so bad nothing could hardly get in or out at .100-.200

Far from done with these. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Would a bigger intake bring it back up enough to not need new seats?

An chance they cut a spring seat in to a water passage?
Its 2.020...and there is a well around all valves with a sharp edge that could about cut your finger open , 2.05 vs is +.030 ÷2=.015...so no imo, because the well is roughly .020 larger.
I'll have my guy look them over and see about a throat and chamber side.

-
Back