Irwindale strip

-

hangn0ut

Reaction score
Went to Irwindale test n tune last night. And what do I find? Over half the parking/pit area fenced off. What a mess. Seems the mess is for some Dwayne the rock something or other tv show. Some kind of obstacle course competition b's. Sure hope that crap isn't permanent. Well,at least the track is still there...

Glad to know track is still there. Went there in the 70s while living in moreno valley.

Not the same track. This one's South of live oak. There's a brewery where the old one was.

is it an 8th or a quarter? Id like to see that sometimes. I think my buddies slant ran there.

Went to Irwindale test n tune last night. And what do I find? Over half the parking/pit area fenced off. What a mess. Seems the mess is for some Dwayne the rock something or other tv show. Some kind of obstacle course competition b's. Sure hope that crap isn't permanent. Well,at least the track is still there...

Revenue from things like that KEEP the track open.

I know it’s a pain, but in the grand scheme of things it good for racers.

Exactly Steve. I was told that the tv show money would pay for the track to be open for a year. Fine be me. It's worth the inconvenience to have a track to race at. Not too long ago that track was in danger of going under.

No doubt. But my understanding is the strip kept that entire facility above water for years. It's the only track I ever seen where the fairly large grandstands are crowded for test n tune. Not long ago,on a Thursday t n t,at 7 o clock the line to get in was out to the freeway offramp. Because of a grudge race between two street trucks. Just saying that's one popular place to be.

No doubt. But my understanding is the strip kept that entire facility above water for years. It's the only track I ever seen where the fairly large grandstands are crowded for test n tune. Not long ago,on a Thursday t n t,at 7 o clock the line to get in was out to the freeway offramp. Because of a grudge race between two street trucks. Just saying that's one popular place to be.

Well, sort of and it wasn't always that way. I remember plenty of dead TNT nights before they were supposed to close. It doesn't get crowded in the summer until the sun goes down and I've never seen a line before that. They've also stepped up the frequency of events since it nearly closed. It was managed poorly before in my opinion.
Now they've added a drift area, weekend drag stuff, more NASCAR stuff, etc. the whole place seems to be operating at a better pace since the new Guy took over. Sometimes there are three different things happening on a Thursday night. They fixed that crappy drag strip surface too!!:thumbsup:
Anyway, not to argue but I'm just glad it's around after LACR went under and then we nearly lost irwindale. I'll deal with stupid Hollywood stuff from time to time if it keeps it running.

Last edited:

That’s overstated.

The strip will not sustain the whole operation

It’s changed management and ownership a few times in its short history. It never was above water.

I believe they tried opening up other drag nights and they were not attended as well as Thursday. Maybe time will tell and other nights will get established.

The management really does appreciate the drag racers.

So much so they are trying get more test and tunes and events. Would love to see same Thursday turnout on a 2nd night.

-
Back