Is bigger better ?

-

44o gts dart

Reaction score
I am building a mild 450 horse 440 I a 69 a body with a nice sounding cam, 10.1 compression, nice intake,, standard 906 heads with ports matched… question is :are 1 7/8 headers big enough or do I have to go 2 inch,, I want a 3 to maybe 6 k power band.. thanks in advance

1 7/8 is the biggest I would run with that combo. It would run just fine with a set of 1 3/4 IMO.

1 3/4" would suffice and probably match the combo best.
You can have too much header and this may be one of those combo's

Go 1 3/4 unless you are going single plane and high lift cam,and want to rev. For a 450 Hp street motor, in your stated rpm range,I think the 1 3/4 is ideal. That’s what I am going with on my HP 383, street car, dual plane and automatic.

But, with the cost of A body headers I would definitely consider future plans before buying. If you even think you might want more, I would go big now and build up to them.

I am building a mild 450 horse 440 I a 69 a body with a nice sounding cam, 10.1 compression, nice intake,, standard 906 heads with ports matched… question is :are 1 7/8 headers big enough or do I have to go 2 inch,, I want a 3 to maybe 6 k power band.. thanks in advance
Yes, 1 7/8 are big enough for more power too.
Tti headers I'm guessing?

My 500 inch engine made 643hp and 645ftlbs through 1-3/4 hedmans, while I agree bigger would be better at your power levels I wouldn't worry too much.

You don't need 2". (This from a guy with 2" on a small block). Either a 1 3/4 or 1 7/8 will work. As an overkill guy, I would probably go 1 7/8, but whatever size your preferred brand comes in will be fine.

My wife looked at the thread title and she said 2". go figure

My 500 inch engine made 643hp and 645ftlbs through 1-3/4 hedmans, while I agree bigger would be better at your power levels I wouldn't worry too much.
Well I might have to test that out on my engine.

Go 1 3/4 unless you are going single plane and high lift cam,and want to rev. For a 450 Hp street motor, in your stated rpm range,I think the 1 3/4 is ideal. That’s what I am going with on my HP 383, street car, dual plane and automatic.

But, with the cost of A body headers I would definitely consider future plans before buying. If you even think you might want more, I would go big now and build up to them.
Do they fit nice?? With a 893 pan?

I've never known a woman to buy a small dildo.

Do they fit nice?? With a 893 pan?
I’m finding out right now, Hedman b body headers. So far if I want to keep the mini starter I gotta ding the pipe.

Taking the starter off and then trying to see how they fit otherwise. If they can go in without beating them up too much I’ll just run the stock starter. If it turns into whack a mole I might as well ding the pipe for the starter.

5B45098B-AD73-4F55-B96C-EF911FE064CE.jpeg

I’m finding out right now, Hedman b body headers. So far if I want to keep the mini starter I gotta ding the pipe.

Taking the starter off and then trying to see how they fit otherwise. If they can go in without beating them up too much I’ll just run the stock starter. If it turns into whack a mole I might as well ding the pipe for the starter.

View attachment 1716004613
I just bolted some up on a 451 build it had a mini starter, wouldn't fit without a nice size dent.

This is terrible, i’m hitting everything I can’t even get the motor to sit down. I have tried everything I can think of.

image.jpg

It's easier if you remove the steering box, you can then ding #3 tube in the proper spot when installing the box. you will need a ding on the passenger torsion bar and few minor dings on some other tubes.

It's easier if you remove the steering box, you can then ding #3 tube in the proper spot when installing the box. you will need a ding on the passenger torsion bar and few minor dings on some other tubes.
Passenger side clears everything so far, but motor isn’t fully bolted in yet.

-
Back