Is chrome plating really that costly.

-

MOPARFIVE

Midwest Moparz
Reaction score
Hey FABO family, just got estimates to have the tail light bezels on the 74 Dart and 74 Duster restored and rechromed. The Dart has real nice finish but the usual pits. Not too bad or too many and the Dusters are even nicer. To date the best price given was $920 to do darts and $500 for the DUSTERS. Is this right? I'll have more in them than my new 410 rear! Is this the going rates for chrome work? Not sure how avg.Guy can afford it anymore. Any cheaper out there. Thanks all.

they ,meaning I forgot who I called, wanted 600 bucks plus shipping there and back to replate 2 77 charger tail light plastic surrounds. I ended up using a spray chrome paint.

Attachments

• a228.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 579
We got a quote for 1069 charger bumpers.. Show chrome... It's $600 each bumper + shipping... That's upwards of $1,300 for bumpers

I had my air compressor done on my dart which is off a magnum and they charge me 50.00 and it is beautiful. They do chrome plating and stainless steel repair also.

I know a little about this.
1. First, you cannot believe the EPA rules they have to follow with all the caustic chemicals they use. This compliance is not cheap. If the slightest hiccup occurred and a teeny bit of the chemical got into the environment, the chromer gets nailed with a huge fine.
2. the vats of chemicals are not cheap.
3. With all the electrolysis going on, you would not want their electric bill.
4. A reputable chrome will not plate your part until the surface prep is perfect, and that can take several separate layers of copper plating with manual buffing between each layer. The entire process is very labor intensive. The old chrome has to be removed before the process can begin.
I have had things plated at local places a few times. The prices seemed reasonable, but the quality was only good. Paul's Chrome Plating is probably the most expensive, but WOW; you should see their work. WOW. Advance plating in TN is also top notch, and they are a bit cheaper then Pauls. I have also used a place in Oklahoma that does really good work for less than Paul's or Advance. They come to a lot of local (Midwest) swap meets. If anyone is interested, I will look up their name.

Just got my tail lights done on my 65 Dart. $600. Bumpers,$900. for the pair, $300. for the fender spears. More than I wanted to spend, Just think of it as Jewelry

Cheap isn't the best way to get something chromed

If you are spending money to restore a part you done want them to ruin it

I spent about 3,000 for chrome on my dart 10 years ago

To restore pitted pot metal it has to be repaired before chroming. Some of my pieces were ruined when I had done by cheap guy

Thank the government for restrictions on the industry to skyrocket prices

I know a little about this.
1. First, you cannot believe the EPA rules they have to follow with all the caustic chemicals they use. This compliance is not cheap. If the slightest hiccup occurred and a teeny bit of the chemical got into the environment, the chromer gets nailed with a huge fine.
2. the vats of chemicals are not cheap.
3. With all the electrolysis going on, you would not want their electric bill.
4. A reputable chrome will not plate your part until the surface prep is perfect, and that can take several separate layers of copper plating with manual buffing between each layer. The entire process is very labor intensive. The old chrome has to be removed before the process can begin.
I have had things plated at local places a few times. The prices seemed reasonable, but the quality was only good. Paul's Chrome Plating is probably the most expensive, but WOW; you should see their work. WOW. Advance plating in TN is also top notch, and they are a bit cheaper then Pauls. I have also used a place in Oklahoma that does really good work for less than Paul's or Advance. They come to a lot of local (Midwest) swap meets. If anyone is interested, I will look up their name.

I'm interested in the shop in Oklahoma if you have that info.. I've talked to a few people that have rechromed their bumpers and most said they had a shop in Dallas do them.

Bottom line is every time someone says there ought to be a law, it usually means bend over. While I believe we need to be good stewards, the pendulum has swung to the extreme other side. Chroming is a chemical process that has some nasty chemicals.
My 2 cents,
Andy

Highline plating in Cuba Mo does a great job but again they are not cheap,reasonable but not cheap.

I ordered tail light bezels for my 73 dart sport from BE&A and they look great 420$ less than the 920 you were quoted

Had All my chrome done, all four tail lights, That is eight parts including the insets, Both bumpers, both Wing window Surround, All aluminum polished to a mirror finish, Fender spears, both door handles, You name it it was done. less then 2 grand, AND in So Cal! West coast plating. BUT, it takes them a long time, they are that busy. On my 66 Dart GT.

Yes rechroming is well worth the money spent,had both my bumpers done by Tri-City plating still look great after 6 years..not a fan of painting bumpers or chrome trim makes the car look cheap like the owner didn't want to spend the money to do it right:violent1::violent1:

These guys do decent work at a reasonable cost.....

Kansas Bumper & Body Parts Inc
1801 S Mead St
Wichita, KS, 67211

316-262-0500

Awesome help fabo friends. It's a 74 swinger not a Sport. Looks like I have to save up a little more. Just can't do the paint over thing. Call me old timely but shiny chrome is da bomb. I'll update who I go with. Thanks.

The latest chrome wraps look pretty good in pictures, I haven't seen them in real life but they are cheap and could be applied to lightweight fiberglass parts.

you can buy repo duster bezels,dont know the quality,but im thinking $350.00

Got 2 brand new AMD bumpers from a member here for less than $300 each.:D Did I say new:blob:
Ya I wish they did 71 Dart bumpers. By the time I switch to the '70 they offer, buy tail lights and buckets, I may as well get my 71 re chromed.

This is why I'm doing a ratrod with my Swinger

These guys do decent work at a reasonable cost.....

Kansas Bumper & Body Parts Inc
1801 S Mead St
Wichita, KS, 67211

316-262-0500

I live in Wichita and if anyone wanted, id be willing to visit the shop and ask to take a few shots of some work examples of other customers.

Classic Industries lists "Restorer's Choice" bumpers (for most cars) for $300 apiece. Are these good quality?

If these are good quality, it looks like the choice should always be to buy repop bumpers and bezels when they are available.

-
Back