Is it any good

-

jeffnmo

Just another Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals, a good friend of mine gave me a brand new Hughes 24-25 stall converter, I have a '70 dart 340 it has a Edelbrock 650 avs, air gap intake, big valve J heads that are ported and polished, Dougs headers, MSD 6 box and a 727 trans with a shift kit, the cam is unknown its pretty lumpy I would guess bigger than a comp 268. It also has a 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and a worn out cone sure grip, the tires are 235-60-14 that are 25 inches tall, soon I'll be changing to 3.55 gears and 255-60-15's that are 27 inches tall, The car runs like a raped ape but it seems like the stock converter reaches its stall instantly. I know I should have one custom made but ya can't beat free. Do any of you experts think it would be worth a try.

Thanks Jeff

Thanks 69_340_GTS, I'm no expert either, I should also say its street driven only and what is the stock stall for a '70 340, I looked everywhere and couldn't find out.

Thanks Jeff

If the converter you're yanking out is a factory stock converter, and not something that has been rebuilt a couple of times, there should be a paper tag on it. If it has the tag send me a PM and I'll see what I can find out about it for you. As I recall, they stalled around 2000 rpm. My BRAND NEW AT THE TIME 71 340 Duster stalled in that area. When I worked in the converter industry we needed a customers 340 converter core sent in as they weren't the most abundant converter around and were all custom built. Check to make sure the converter is balanced properly. Remember, Mopar had both cast and steel cranks. Hughes will tell you what the converter is actually for.

If what you have is a factory high stall you won't see much difference, IMO.

Thanks transman, It's the original motor so it has the steel crank, I won't be getting to it till after christmas so unless I can see that tag through the inspection hole It will be awhile! The hughes I was given is the right one for my car. I kind of thought that RustyRatRod, but I think their maybe something wrong with the converter in the car now, I just about have to hold the brakes with two feet at a stop light and I don't beat on the car (much)!! but tried to power brake it a couple of times and it won't build up any rpm's at all, my idle is set at 900 rpm and it seems like the stall is 900 rpm if that makes any sense? the car has the power and is tuned to within an inch of It's life, I could be wrong transmissions are not my forte but I've been working on my own mopars since the early '70's.

Thanks Jeff

I should have mentioned that there are also numbers stamped into the body of the converter. An example would be something like B112 or something similar. Your converter if its the original 340 converter will be what is known as an 11" converter and will have a ring gear 1" wide. If it's got the 1/2" wide ring gear its a 12" converter.

Per the Dodge 1969 Service Manual, the torque converter attached to a 340-4bbl engine and a A727A transmission stalls at 2250-2450 RPM. There is no optional high-stall converter listed. I'm sure a 1970 car would be the same.

Hughes converters are well built converters and I wouldn't hesitate using one but from my observations they don't seem to stall as high as their rated. I put a 24-25 in a buddy's 440 powered Challenger and it just barely flashes 2500 rpm and his 440 is real torquey. For that reason I'm with Rusty that it most likely won't make much difference, unless someone has installed a RV torque converter in your car, which may be the case by your description. You really need a looser converter anyway with a 340 and big cam.

If the current TC is pulling that hard at 900rpm, Id ditch that thing in a heartbeat.

I agree. As far as off the shelf torque converters go I think Hughes makes one of the better ones out there and you can't beat the price you paid!

Agreed, I already pulled the trans this mourning It's definitely not the original converter, hoping to have it running in a couple of hours and have my car back to or a bit better than it was when I first got her. Thanks for all of your input guys.

Jeff

I got the old converter is out and it has no stickers, no numbers stamped in it, nothing! I shook it and there are several rattles in it, no debris in the pan. The new Hughes converter is freak'n great the car runs better than when I first got it, turned the idle down and retuned I am a happy camper to say the least, now for the 3.55's. Thank you guys for all input.

Jeff

-
Back