Is it BO and LO or is it B0 and L0….that is the question??

-
There are potentially lots of zero's on a fender tag in model year, sequence number and trailing VIN digits.

Look like Chrysler execs figured out it would be better to start option codes (and even body type codes) with "1".
I don't recall ever seeing an option code "10" either, like "V10X".

Also, O don't see how the font used on a document has any bearing on the font used on a fender tag or VIN plate.

Hell, there are at least three different fonts used on fender tags by different plants.

C10 Retractor Seat Belts Australia
D10 3 speed Column Shift Manual Australia
K10 Charger Special Police Australia
V10 Full Vinyl Roof

Last edited:
I’m kinda thinking along these lines.
The letter O was skipped being used on Fender tags and on VINs to reduce confusion. The number 0 was used in its place. Like shown in a previous post, O= Super Stock. I thinking because the letter O was not used on vins and fender tags they substituted the letter O with the number 0 BUT the number 0 is representing the letter O. What do you all think?

I’m kinda thinking along these lines.
The letter O was skipped being used on Fender tags and on VINs to reduce confusion. The number 0 was used in its place. Like shown in a previous post, O= Super Stock. I thinking because the letter O was not used on vins and fender tags they substituted the letter O with the number 0 BUT the number 0 is representing the letter O. What do you all think?

Let’s look at the facts that we know. Going through your notes and stuff we see that Chrysler was know to use what was already available as opposed to spending more money to make something new. A good example is the side marker lights that started in 1972 on must cars. The yellow ones were used all the way to 1993 on the D series pickups on the front fenders and the red ones used all the way to 1990 on the rear quarters of the Omni and Horizon platforms.

When I worked at the dealership from 1984 till 2004 and did training at both the Boston, New York and Orlando training centers the instructors at the time would talk about how Chrysler would give incentives to line workers and such who figured out how to use existing stock on new products.

Why not the same here, the number 0 for the letter O, looks the part and no money spent making a new stamp. This goes back to something I asked in an earlier post, does anyone know of or have a picture of a 1967 RO or WO VIN plate? Also SS cars and produced the year before. The 62 to 64 Max wedge and Hemi cars I don’t believe followed the same VIN process but I have a buddy in Florida with a 64 aluminum nose HC max wedge 4 speed car and I can ask him.

Cliff Ramsdell

And before that the L0 D-Darts, still used the number zero in the VIN as there was never a letter "O" available. No other cars used this VIN except super stock cars, so the consensus is as far as I can see that the VIN had to use the number 0 although in reality it is the letter O...

I have a related question regarding the super stock 68 Barracudas. I understand that the VIN plate for all 68 Barracudas was located on the dash assembly on the base of the windshield on the driver's side. the VIN numbers ONLY also are stamped on the radiator support frame and on the rear trunk lip under the rubber weather strip on the driver's side. does anyone know what it would mean if a car had stamped on the radiator support frame "B0" and then the six number VIN? did the super stock cars have the B0 stamped on the radiator support?

I have a related question regarding the super stock 68 Barracudas. I understand that the VIN plate for all 68 Barracudas was located on the dash assembly on the base of the windshield on the driver's side. the VIN numbers ONLY also are stamped on the radiator support frame and on the rear trunk lip under the rubber weather strip on the driver's side. does anyone know what it would mean if a car had stamped on the radiator support frame "B0" and then the six number VIN? did the super stock cars have the B0 stamped on the radiator support?

On regular production 1968 vehicles, the Shipping Order number (S.O.#) is stamped on trunk lip and radiator support. SO# is also stamped on Fender Tag and written on buildsheet.

On 1969 and newer mopars, the two digits before the vin are then plant and year.

Forgot if they did the the two digits before the SO# in 1968. My ‘68 is out of garage right now to check

The above reply is correct. The VIN only appears on the dash and broadcast sheet. There were no other VIN numbers even on the engine and trans in a Hemi Dart or Barracuda. Regular production 68 vehicles had the VIN on the bell housing rail and automatic trans at the top between the starter and oil sending unit. On 4-speed trans it was on the passenger side of the trans...

It's stated o as in "oh" ****, we put a 426 hemi in a dart and barracuda .
That's supposed to be a joke.... hopefully funny enough

-
Back