Is it just me ? Selling anything is a PITA

-
I hate selling stuff ......luckily when I have sold items on here I have not been low balled ....so maybe my prices are not out of the park ....at least I hope not.

The worst is selling cars locally....I live 20 minutes near a blue collar town of 130,000 people. It is the worst place ever to sell anything. I had a 78 Newport with low miles and a for sale sign on it for a complete year $1000. for a running and driving car. In a years time I had three people come look at it and one guy says "miss, I will do a you a big favor and take this boat off your hands for $300." other offer was $250. and the third guy never came back after he said he was going to go get the money.

I wasted so much money on newspaper ads and it was even on ebay....so I lost the 100 dollar ebay fee when it sold on ebay but the buyer was in South Carolina and he said he would be over to pick it up in two weeks. Six months later it was still here and ididnt take a deposit or anything because I used to be a lot more trusting.

One year to the date I first advertised, I was sick of it .....brought it in the shop and yanked the 440 which I knew ran great, and now the car is history and the engine is in my dart and starts very reliable every day ....couldn't be happier because I feel like I got what I wanted out of the deal by keeping the awesome running 440. :cheers:

This of course is one of many selling failures I had ....this is why I am not a used car salesperson. :???:

Attachments

• CIMG3595.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 270
  • CIMG3615.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 248
Yes, allot of low balling going on out there. I actually have an extra motorcycle and an extra car that I refuse to give away, so I keep them. They are registered and tagged, but don't get driven much. But yes, I will keep my vehicles that I paid good money for before I give them away to some person I don't even know LOL!

Rani, that *** was just plain out insulting you. Insulting you because of your gender, your age, and your ethnicity.

its not you. its just a pain to deal with a lot of people anymore. I have been trying to buy a sure grip for my Dart Sport and found a couple on ebay and have asked a couple of questions and didn't get a reply. either they are trying to hide something hoping someone would just buy it or they are just too lazy to answer. so is life these days. I will keep looking.

yes selling is PITA. I try to remember what $$$ class of people i'm dealing with based on WHAT I am wanting to sell. wealthy people are used to having the best and EXPECT to pay a price if its a high end item they are buying, yes, they can be sharp buyers or worse, but they expext to pay for that high end item.
the low end $$$ guy, he suffers from lack of disposable income and he HAS to look for deals. he is the one that can hurt our feelings by offering a stupid low price. its part of life!?
on a car like Rani's, when we haul one of those types home, best to have in NO more than what it can be parted out for and sell the reminder for scrap. if someone can by it whole and use it, great.....now that same car, in say maybe some part of Canada where there has always been more interest in the C bodies, that car might sell quick and for twice that price?? location!!
sometimes it might be easier to sell a hemi cuda and a rice cycle!?????

Totally untrue back in 06-07 people just bought the parts. No barter just cash. And they didn't want fourty pics of said piece just to never be heard from again.

I'll give ya that- So many people in the game now, I guess. Mopar guys were once a much smaller community, even online.

I've got my 70 charger up for sale and people dont even read the ad...there's videos etc...

I get emails constantly

What engine is in it?
Does it run?

And my favorite;
What do I need to do to register it in California?

:wack:

I like the sellers who join the site just to sell. You see a screen name you dont recognize and lo and behold their post count is 2 or 3

I like the sellers who join the site just to sell. You see a screen name you dont recognize and lo and behold their post count is 2 or 3

I started on this site with a few sale ads--- it was the response & overwhelming friendly attitude from the members that makes this my #1 web page.

You have to start somewhere-- it is how they handle the ads that dictates.

Lawrence

Not everyone mind you. I just wonder how many join just to make a buck in addition to CL and fleabay. The flippers. You have been here for almost a decade, Thats different from what I meant!

I buy and sell lots of different things and
haven't encountered many problems.

I've bought/sold/traded a few things on this site and
its always been good.

Shipping is another story.:banghead:

Headaches are always a potential when not
dealing in cash and face to face.

I have not had any problems selling except for my 67 Cuda. The younger guys have gold plated parts. It used to be that Mopar guys were a family, now it is a business and profit is the key word. Ask a fair (some say too low) price and it sells. I would rather wonder if I sold it too low than wonder why nobody wants to buy. Too young to be this old.

Is this any worse than a seller that won't respond???? I saw your duster for sale here on FABO, I pm'd ya but you didn't respond... lol! I also saw your duster on craigslist too. Nice look'n car, but slant six dusters with a small amount of rust and such are a hard sell over 6k. I've been look'n for a 70-72 duster for awhile, and they are next to impossible in Illinois to find. In this uncertain economy, that duster would be gone in a heart beat, IMO, if it were priced accordingly. Peoria is a Hot Rod town. Some ask if you will take less without seeing it because they may be interested in the car, but not at that price. They are probably hoping that if it sounds real negotiable, then they will take a look. It is obviously worth more to you than anyone else, because Nice dusters priced right don't last a day on CL, and you have had yours on there more than once, and for sale here on FABO. So, you attract dreamers instead of buyers. Just my 2 cents...

On the other end we have guys who think a 65 dart with a seized slanty and Flintstone floorboards is worth $4,000
Or that he can put $2,000 - $3,000 into it and sell it for $10k - $12k

Just got off the phone with a guy telling me this.

Even when you price parts at a fair price or priced to sell they try to low ball you.Selling parts on FABO I do not have to much trouble.It seems like everyone think everyone else is hurting for money.So on a $25.00 part that is a bargin to begin with they will offer you $5.00 or $10.00.

I think the problem is as was explained before you.
You have four guys at nats selling LBP steelies.
3 guys have them at $50/wheel or $200 a set
1 guy has the same wheel but BETTER condition for $50 for the entire set.

Guy is window shopping and sees the $50 set but holds out for a better looking set or cheaper price. Makes his rounds and sees the other 3 and realise that the first set was the best deal.
Goes back to first set but they are gone/sold.
Then he has to retreat to one of the other three worse condition sets but more expensive.
So he tries to get one of those three down to the $50 price.

They all say the buyer is lowballing them.

They go home with their wheels and the buyer goes home with all his cash in his pocket.

But to add to your $25 part...
Who determines that this used part is $25?
You the seller, correct?
I think the buyer has some sayso in this as well.

My wife ripped the splash guard on her Infiniti last week.
I go to the junkyard asked if they had one.
They said yes.
After waiting an hour for the guy to pull the part he tells me the price is $65
I say, the brand new part is $55 at the dealer and $11 online!!!
He says, well, you can go to the dealer then.

I ordered it from Rockauto for $9.
It was here in two days.

Ah yes, the junkyard. Have they gone psychotic in the last 5 years or what! Some of the prices they ask make you wonder if LSD is legal.

I was talking with a guy several years ago at a salvage yard, I was there to look for something, I forget now what it was..... about some wheel covers that he had. They were the mid 60's Plymouth spinners. I call them spinners.... He told me he had been offered 15.00 each for them. He told me he'll throw them in the trunk and crush them with the car before he sold them at that price. This was around 1995 or so.

It happens to everyone. Take this scenario that I was in a few years back.

Seller is selling a cheap slant 6 part. I give him my address and we end up settling on $15 shipped. I tell him I'll take it and he says to send the money order to his address. I ask if he has paypal to make the transaction easier and he says yes but to add the 3% fee they charge. I ended up telling him I wasn't interested.

On his side, I was just some tire kicker giving him the run around.

On my side, he was a cheapskate seller who was trying to nickel and dime me for .45 cents. To me, someone who tries to tack on a .45 cent charge at the end doesn't deserve my money. It was just annoying. Like you're going to go to the grave missing that .45 cents. Not going to deal with that.

In the end no one is right. He has his right to sell it for .45 cents extra and I have my right to cancel the transaction based on how stupid I think that is. Both people walk away annoyed. It's the way it goes buying and selling sometimes.

It happens to everyone. Take this scenario that I was in a few years back.Seller is selling a cheap slant 6 part. I give him my address and we end up settling on $15 shipped. I tell him I'll take it and he says to send the money order to his address. I ask if he has paypal to make the transaction easier and he says yes but to add the 3% fee they charge. I ended up telling him I wasn't interested.On his side, I was just some tire kicker giving him the run around.On my side, he was a cheapskate seller who was trying to nickel and dime me for .45 cents. To me, someone who tries to tack on a .45 cent charge at the end doesn't deserve my money. It was just annoying. Like you're going to go to the grave missing that .45 cents. Not going to deal with that.In the end no one is right. He has his right to sell it for .45 cents extra and I have my right to cancel the transaction based on how stupid I think that is. Both people walk away annoyed. It's the way it goes buying and selling sometimes.

we humans, we are funny (you and I, and the rest of the world), like you... been there done it on BOTH sides of the buyin/sellin track!..... maybe our pride and ego gets in our way... was the $.45 worth the trouble it caused?????? I understand your point about the nickel and dimin thing..... I also understand I get tired of fees to paypal, ebay, usps, ups, the bank, property tax, gas tax, etc etc......
LOL....
ANYTHING.... be it old car parts, or gas, or groceries is worth what people will pay..... price of bacon at grocery???? I rather put $100 is good used freezer, and pay $2.25 per pound for half a hog (100 lb), , wrapped ready for the freezer.... that half a hog includes bacon and right down to the lowly hock..... but ya, I won't pay the store $9 for a pound of bacon!!! LOL just me.....
I had opportunity other day...had chance to buy 67 dart, more door, slant car..... here's the questions: now me personally, I hate to part out a car that can be saved... o k more doors cars are getting more popular, but IT IS a 4 door. buy it, part it out.???? O K if i'm gonna put MY $$ and time in it, ( instead of be workin on mY project cars), I feel it is reasonable to make a reasonable return on my labor and $$. right??? if I byt it and offer it as a project, i'm CALLED a flipper. if I buy it and offer all its parts to those THAT need them for their projects, then I subject my self to ALL the hazzels everyone has mentioned. if I was wealthy, I could part it out and give them parts to who needs them and pay the shippin to boot!????? tehm i'm called a crazy old gezzer!! soooo, it sits till it rots or is hauled to the crushed...... why not TELL everyone its location?????? because there are OTHER things there I am interested in. don't have the $$ right now to persue. life goes on........LOL

-
Back