Is It Possible?........

-
i don't
I don't consider this a pro-tourer. It's a dedicated drift car and not set up for cruising comfort. When I think pro-tour, i think modern amenities and significant upgrades on the interior, and usually a modern FI engine swap along with a lower ride height and suspension oriented to road course handling.

I don't consider it a pro tour either but it's not the normal look with the flares and all. The link was posted as an example of a car that can handle and not look like a fat tire "pro tour" type thing..

So far, I've not seen 17s on a early A body. I'd be open to it, but the wheel and tire combo would have to be just the right one.
I’ve never seen these on an early A body (or any A body for that matter) but these are what I plan to run on my 67 Valiant 4 door when the time comes.

4BBC2683-9685-40A4-8B47-639C9EAE6AEB.jpeg

17" Vision Muscle 148 Shift Satin Grey Machined Face/Lip Wheel 17x8 5x4.5 19mm | eBay

They don't come in a 4x5 pattern.
Yeah I saw your comment about that after I posted that reply. If it doesn’t bother you, you could see about running 5x100mm bolt pattern wheels. 4” comes out to 101.2mm so not an exact match but I know of people who have done it. Was planning on running 5x4 rallyes on my 98 neon when I had it but then I became a man and put away childish things.
:lol:

Last edited:
Cornering ability is really just balancing suspension stiffness with tire grip. If you're limited in tire selection for your setup, get the best tires that you like and then set up the suspension around that. Before I put 18" wheels with low-profile tires on my Duster I had 15" Rallyes with 60-series Firestone Firehawks (the older street-touring ones, not very grippy) and my 1.00" torsion bars seemed to be a good matchup. There are ways you can calculate what your spring and shock rates should be but it's probably easier to just trial-and-error it. TBH you won't really know how your car handles and what upgrades it needs until you push it past its limits and there isn't really a place on the street to do that legally or safely unless you can find a BIG open paved lot somewhere near you far away from people.

One thing I've found with my Duster, it's been really tough to get the rear stiff enough to not always want to understeer when it's pushed hard. I got Hotchkis leaves and they are still way too soft, have my rear sway bar on the stiffest setting and it's not nearly enough roll resistance. These cars REALLY do not like to oversteer at all the way they're set up from the factory. Not that you want oversteer but you want a balance where you can have a bit of both depending on the situation.

Yeah I saw your comment about that after I posted that reply. If it doesn’t bother you, you could see about running 5x100mm bolt pattern wheels. 4” comes out to 101.2mm so not an exact match but I know of people who have done it. Was planning on running 5x4 rallyes on my 98 neon when I had it but then I became a man and put away childish things.
:lol:
Tell that to @Kegan B LOL

My son's high school and college car. He still has it (well, we have it), but it needs an engine. 15" Pete Paulsen circle track wheels with 235-60-15 Dunlops. Great handling car with good power (slightly built 383). More of a kid's hot rod with handling components.

AlanCuda01.jpg

My son's high school and college car. He still has it (well, we have it), but it needs an engine. 15" Pete Paulsen circle track wheels with 235-60-15 Dunlops. Great handling car with good power (slightly built 383). More of a kid's hot rod with handling components.

View attachment 1715933772
A kid's hot rod? Puhhhleeze, you know you love it. lol

-
Back