Is it wise to keep the original motor??

-

myasylum

Reaction score
When I found my car someone put in a difffenrt /6. It didn't even run.
the guy told me I could take the original /6 if I wanted too. I looked at it, and it's clean as hell! The one they replaced it with looks like complete crap comparerd to the original motor they took out. I don't even know why they replaced it.
At any rate I left the orignal motor there. He said I could take it when ever I want. It's a 73 motor and very clean, I just assume something must be wrong with it? I don't know what those people were thinking? So it's there if I want it, but do I?

Thanks!

Well if the original engine had gone tight or spun a bearing or ???? early on in it's life, it would be clean. Just not worth rebuilding to this guy if a running, yet dirty engine was available for peanuts for his work car. The guy with the engine lied and now this poor guy has two bad engines! Just a scenario.
I would grab the engine and see what is wrong with it!
But if you are concerned that the replacement engined car is less valuable than your car with an original engine, no.
(Unless it was an older aluminum engine hyper-pak car 8))

Its a C code A-body, I dont think it really makes much of a resale or value diffrence on the back end of things. But if you just want to say it has the original engine than go get it and see if it has a spun bearing or cracked block, other than that just enjoy the car, I certainly wouldnt pay more money to chance the engine is blown and not rebuildable.

I agree, keep the original motor, too. Find out why they replaced the original motor and what year is the replacement motor. The 72 & later /6 had hardened exhaust valve seats for use with unleaded fuel.

Personally, I'd try to find out what was wrong with the original, repair it, and warm it up a bit. That way I'd have a spare, ready to go, if needed.

When you want one you can't find one, it's free, if you wanted to rebuild it you could while you drive the car and even parts for a slant six are getting harder to find even at parts stores. An new oil pump for a slant is around 100 bucks unless you get one of the Pep Boys close outs on ebay for 50 and even then you may have to rebuild it. I say grab it and throw it under the workbench until you need something off it.

u better get off your butt and get it right now!

just kidding.

but seriously, if its free. why not? or if u dont have the room 4 it, just give it away here on fabo.

When you want one you can't find one, it's free, if you wanted to rebuild it you could while you drive the car and even parts for a slant six are getting harder to find even at parts stores. An new oil pump for a slant is around 100 bucks unless you get one of the Pep Boys close outs on ebay for 50 and even then you may have to rebuild it. I say grab it and throw it under the workbench until you need something off it.

I agree, it's better to have and not need....than to need and not have!

I just seen a 6 to 8 point buck :angel7: promise
run up my hill as I was reading this thread.:tongue9:
I would say that was an omen :thumbrig:
You might take it apart and find a great motor
with jumped timing or just bad valve guides,
Yep I would snag it up.:cheers:

You boys need any /6 stuff i just pulled two. A 170 and a 225. One with a 904 and the other with a 3 speed hooked to it.

I kept the numbers matching motor out of my Duster. It had 160,000+ miles on it when I pulled it out of my red car and had broken rings in the #1 cylinder.

It is now bored +.100", 10-1, and waiting to go either into the Duster or my Daytona.

id keep it just in case you ever need a new motor or hell if you ever want to sell than you have the original parts to make it worth a bit more...

has anyone ever heard of the 225 hyper pack? I am trying to build one but cannot find a few parts, if anyone knows where to find some stuff for it give me a pm.

Much like everyone else has said. GO GET IT! If for nothing else, it's still spare parts. Or a core to rebuild for future use.

Parts is parts. Go grab it. Then you have a head with hard seats to port and polish and a block to rebuild while you are still driving your car. You never know when the dreaded "slant sickness" will affect you and you feel the need to get all the horsepower possible out of a slant six.

has anyone ever heard of the 225 hyper pack? I am trying to build one but cannot find a few parts, if anyone knows where to find some stuff for it give me a pm.

You need to start a new thread. It is poor taste to highjack someone elses thread, especially when it is a different topic, entirely.

But, yes to your question.

-
Back