Is my drive shaft too short?

-
Here is a pic of the original slip yoke. You can see why I had it changed when I had the shaft balance and new U- Joints installed.

100_3173.JPG

When I saw the wear on the slip yoke. I figured that the tail shaft bushing must be shot. So a took the trans to a friend to be checked out and have the bushing replaced. When I went to pick it up, he said that he had something to show me. Take a good look at the old bushing......

100_4008.JPG

100_4009.JPG

When I saw the wear on the slip yoke. I figured that the tail shaft bushing must be shot. So a took the trans to a friend to be checked out and have the bushing replaced. When I went to pick it up, he said that he had something to show me. Take a good look at the old bushing......

View attachment 1715078722

View attachment 1715078723
is that the spring from the seal lip?

Yup.... I did not do it, but the last owner was racing it at the track back in 1974 and probably had the shaft in and out a few times that season. One of those times he must of snag the edge of the seal and knocked the spring out of it. That spring steel is very hard material and it sure did a job on the slip yoke.

Last edited:
Yup.... I did not do it, but the last owner was racing it at the track back in 1974 and probably had the shaft in and out a few times. One of those times he must of snag the edge of the seal and knocked the spring out of it. That spring steel is very hard material and it sure did a job on the slip yoke.
I don't know if it would have helped in your situation, but I usually pack seal springs like that in with an appropriate grease

I agree with the others that say it doesn't matter what it looks like. What matters is how much engagement in the trans it has

Well I pulled the drive shaft back out yesterday, but before I removed it I made a mark on the slip yoke right at the end of the seal. This is the mark seen on the right. After the slip yoke was out I measured the inside depth of where the inner splines start. Then I transferred that distance to the outside of the slip yoke and marked it. This is the mark seen on the left. The distance between the two marks is the spline engagement. Which is about 3-1/2"
I think I can live with that...

100_4304.JPG

100_4305.JPG

Well I pulled the drive shaft back out yesterday, but before I removed it I made a mark on the slip yoke right at the end of the seal. This is the mark seen on the right. After the slip yoke was out I measured the inside depth of where the inner splines start. Then I transferred that distance to the outside of the slip yoke and marked it. This is the mark seen on the left. The distance between the two marks is the spline engagement. Which is about 3-1/2"
I think I can live with that...

View attachment 1715079639

View attachment 1715079641
yes mine is the same have no issues at all with that works great ove got an 1 1/2 from rear part of seal to end on yoke towards rearend

Last edited:
-
Back