is my k-frame out of whack?? tie rod rubbing torsion bar

-

streetdak

Reaction score
saw this today when I was looking at my spool mounts. Looks like my tie rod is rubbing my torsion bar, i know that i have huge long tube header interference due to the idler arm. Does the suspension unloaded have anything to do with this??? any help is appreciated!

tbartierod.jpg

Check to see if the centerlink is level or not. The picture makes it hard to determine what is going on. The suspension being loaded or not should not make a difference in that area. Some idler arms have more drop than others.

Could you take a picture of the lower control arm end around the K-member.

It looks like the lower control arm is split in half where the adjuster arm is supposed to be sandwiched between.

Does that lower control arm even have a bushing in it anymore?!?!

Attachments

• LCAweldprocedure.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 455
some aftermarket idler arms dont fit very good just heat it red and bend it to fit right

LCA is totally split.

The back of the LCA that holds the torsion bar is bent and slouched down causing the torsion bar to rub the idler.

Another picture

Attachments

• PICT2143.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 403
Yeah that thing is junk! So whats the best way to fix it, take it off and weld it after the new bushing is installed, or is it so junk that I need to buy a new one? Driver side is still close together, looks to be ok... for now, another question, this also means I need to pull the t-bars correct? If so, I'm going to throw my other K-member in that is in much better condition that the one that came with this car.

lca1.jpg

Ugh! That LCA is toast. I would replace it with another at this point. Not saying it can't be fixed, but it looks like its more trouble than its worth to me.

You will have to pull the torsion bars to pull the LCA's, so if you want to do a K member swap now would be the time...

Ugh! That LCA is toast. I would replace it with another at this point. Not saying it can't be fixed, but it looks like its more trouble than its worth to me.

You will have to pull the torsion bars to pull the LCA's, so if you want to do a K member swap now would be the time...

I agree and likely from an accident. LCA's are fairly easy to find.

well, that fender is not original to the car, and the inner fender is wrinkled on that side as well, so that makes sense. She was prob in a wreck at some point and the lca was never fixed. Time to throw the new K Frame in, and actually use the long tubes that have been hanging on my wall in the garage! SERIOUSLY, THANKS for all the help guys!!

The clip is just a safety feature, they are supposed to be there but..... When the torsion bar is loaded they will not come out. Even at full droop there is a load on the torsion bar.

-
Back