Is Petronix solid state ignition upgrade a good option for a 65?

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this upgrade for my 65 Valiant 170 since I've replaced the wiring harness a few years ago. I bought a new engine/light harness from Year One and it was the original type that used points. I currently have a points distributor in my 170 but it's been sitting outside over the winter and not driven. I know it's going to be a problem. I looked at how to install this Petronix conversion kit and it looks fairly simple. But I would opt to keep the ballast resistor on the firewall. It says to keep the ballast resistor you have to Ignitor red wire to the ignition side of the resistance or any other 12 volt ignition power source. Does that mean just splice it in to one of the wires on the ballast resistor? I would hate to have to cut into an uncut harness. Does this kit offer any benefits?

The Pertronix seem to have a good reputation. The issue I have with them is "fixing them" IF they break. This means, basically that you need to buy TWO of them if you expect to fix a problem. That's OK, I guess

you can "splice into" the ballast circuit without cutting wires by using the little piggyback adapters, or you could make a "Y" adapter using the correct terminals. Several ways to skin that cat

Maybe these

BQCMF.jpg

Variations on these

0_150_1207C.jpg

or as I said make up a simple crimped terminal "Y" adapter

I had put on in a 66 F100 I used to have. Easy to install. I did start faster, not that it was that hard to start before. I have found it to be useful on tractors that see a lot of use as the points you get these days are junk for the most part.

I use Pertronix in most of my point cars , as they are usually OE restorations. I like the way you keep the stock distributor, and I use a shrink tube on the two wire coming out , it looks more like just one wire. On the ballast resistors, I take the stock on and turn it over, and solder a 12ga wire behind it to connect the two terminals. Reinstall it, and it looks stock also.
WIN_20151120_145412.JPG

Would that be a step backwards if you have a dual point distributor.? Just asking

I use Pertronix in most of my point cars , as they are usually OE restorations. I like the way you keep the stock distributor, and I use a shrink tube on the two wire coming out , it looks more like just one wire. On the ballast resistors, I take the stock on and turn it over, and solder a 12ga wire behind it to connect the two terminals. Reinstall it, and it looks stock also.View attachment 1714935241

That's a great idea

I've always liked points, but as mentioned above, I think their quality is diminishing. I have a 20-year old Pertronix in my Mustang and I just converted my Skylark two years ago. I keep a spare of each in their trunks just in case, just like I keep a spare orange box in the Dart.

You would find that even a reman'd points distributer is a vast improvement. New points, rotor, cap, etc.. in a worn out distributer housing is a waste of time and money. A reman'd distributer includes those parts. For my money, reman'd OEM type electronic is the smart first step. Then if later on you want to try HEI as Mr. Dan suggested above, go for it. Regardless, bottom line, any ignition system will require a quality mechanical foundation ( shaft turning true in housing ) to work properly.
And by the way, If your charging system doesn't maintain 12 volts + at all times, no electronics will work right. I added this due to the discharge condition while idling in gear typical to your make and model.

Last edited:
-
Back