Is there a better way to do trans fluid line

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I've always used 1/8" Male NPT x 5/16" Flare (SAE) Brass Adapter and formed lines with steel lines. I'm guessing it works but, is there new technology? Hose maybe, but never had a line break. Maybe a different adapter? Suggestions?

I've always enjoyed bending my own. It's kinda a lost art.

I went to AN -6 and steel braid line for my trans cooler.
Although I have a lot of AN stuff kicking around so for me it was an easy choice.

??? There are all kinds of fittings "in the world" but if you are using steel/ metal/ aluminum/ etc tube, flare is the "weapon of choice." So you have inverted flare, SAE/ brass type 45 degree flare, and JIC/ AN which is 37 degree flare. And you could use a made up braided flex line of some sort

The newer stuff for magnums I'm not sure. It seems to be ?? metric?? flare or similar

I do like bent hard line, just not for this application. My fuel line in the engine bay is all -6 and -8 bent hard line. It just looks so much more race car/ cleaner than flex line in my opinion.

I had high pressure rubber hoses with metal fittings made up at a place that does hydraulic and AC lines. They've been on the car 20 years so I guess they work. They were easy to route ( I used an old heater hose to mock it up), they don't absorb heat from other engine components, and it sure is nice just to set them aside on the fenderwell when you are pulling something else out. I've got a really big trans cooler as my tranny guy said that there is no such thing as a tranny cooler that is too big. A lot of folks see the cooler in front of the radiator and the lines and assume its an AC condenser and pressure lines (LOL).

Remember that your restriction mostly comes from the brass pipe to JIC fittings coming out of the transmission case going to the cooler. If you re thread those you can go from 1/8” to 1/4” and increase the cooler lines for more flow. I’ve done that in the past with no troubles. From there you can use what ever you want. The 1/8” pipe is very restrictive. Any hydraulic hose guy can make you a “single wire” hydraulic hose that can handle up to 1500 psi. I personally love metal lines because they don’t split with trans cooler line pressure. Just my opinion. Your car, your choice. Good luck. Joe

HD and Lowe's sells 5/16 compression unions for those of us who can't seem to figure things out upside down and backwards.

When I went from the 904 to the A500 I used NPT to 3/8 compression fittings on the trans case, and went up to 3/8 steel lines from the 5/16 on the 904.
I expect the bottle neck now is the trans cooler inside the radiator.

206E6146-A031-4D8C-90EC-94B52A1F77D7.jpeg
A15154A9-446A-462B-8D37-112860FF8A2C.jpeg
Decided to just bend a set up. The front connector is giving me fits. I gave up after hours of attempts last night. There is less tan 1.5 inch to clear the linkage and I can’t seem to get it. Going another route.

I converted to -6AN with adapters going into trans and B&M Supercooler . then I put DUI shields near headers . Best thing I ever did .

View attachment 1715328753 View attachment 1715328754 Decided to just bend a set up. The front connector is giving me fits. I gave up after hours of attempts last night. There is less tan 1.5 inch to clear the linkage and I can’t seem to get it. Going another route.

The fitting for my governor controlled shifting system for OD and lockup was really close to the body in the hump so I used a NPT to line elbow.
I'm sure it was less than 1.5 inches to make the 90 coming off the case, but not sure if you would want to do that with a cooler line.

Russell -6AN Push-Lok from the case to the frame, 3/8" aluminum tubing along the frame rail then back to the Push-Lok between the radiator support and frame. B&M cooler up front, bulkhead fittings through the radiator support.
IMG_3291.JPG
IMG_9734.JPG

The fitting for my governor controlled shifting system for OD and lockup was really close to the body in the hump so I used a NPT to line elbow.
I'm sure it was less than 1.5 inches to make the 90 coming off the case, but not sure if you would want to do that with a cooler line.

I thought about that but I don’t think a 90 will screw in. Do you have a link or pix of the fitting type.

Right angle fittings won't work. When I did my cooler lines, I tried 90 degree fittings on both the front and back cooler taps with the unit out of the car, no dice. There's not enough room to be able to swing the fitting around when you tighten it down, it hits the case before it bottoms.

There are plenty of 1/8" NPT to -6AN adapters out there.I believe this is what I used, it's like $5.
rus-660453_w.jpg

-
Back