Is there a performance distributor for slants and timing settings

-

73ScampSS

Reaction score
Hi is anyone using a performance/ racing distributor in their slant 6, and where did you get it.

I have a performance built slant and am using the stock distributor and timing advance from pre-resto. I am wondering if there are some recommendations to get the most power.

It has 10.5 compression, ported head, Comp solid lifter cam, sorry I don't have the cam specs with me. Breathing thru a Holley 390 4-barrel and offenhauser intake, and hooker super comp headers.

Right now I am using 110 octane ($11.50 per gallon ouch) and have the timing at 5* BTDC, with a MSD 6AL box. I would like to get the octane lower to save cash, but get the most power without detonating.

Whats your guys experience on this.. Thanks

Hi is anyone using a performance/ racing distributor in their slant 6, and where did you get it.

I have a performance built slant and am using the stock distributor and timing advance from pre-resto. I am wondering if there are some recommendations to get the most power.

It has 10.5 compression, ported head, Comp solid lifter cam, sorry I don't have the cam specs with me. Breathing thru a Holley 390 4-barrel and offenhauser intake, and hooker super comp headers.

Right now I am using 110 octane ($11.50 per gallon ouch) and have the timing at 5* BTDC, with a MSD 6AL box. I would like to get the octane lower to save cash, but get the most power without detonating.

Whats your guys experience on this.. Thanks

I will be running the Mallory Unilite Distributor listed by SS !! For 10.5:1 Compression,you shouldn't need 110 racing gas . Try running 3/4 Reg and 1/4 Premium and see what you end up with ! If you're still not satisfied,buy yourself a 5 gal can of race gas,and add 1 gallon per tank and see how that works !!Had a buddy back in Naples with a DZ302 Camaro with 11:1 compression and it worked for him !!

I will be running the Mallory Unilite Distributor listed by SS !! For 10.5:1 Compression,you shouldn't need 110 racing gas . Try running 3/4 Reg and 1/4 Premium and see what you end up with ! If you're still not satisfied,buy yourself a 5 gal can of race gas,and add 1 gallon per tank and see how that works !!Had a buddy back in Naples with a DZ302 Camaro with 11:1 compression and it worked for him !!

Ya I would love it but I dont have the $400 laying around. I was hoping to go the cheap route and change some weights or springs in the stock dist, but I dont have much experience in that area... any idea what a good total timing advance for it should be?

As far as the gas, I was using 91 before and it was knocking like crazy I thought the engine was blown. Up in my area I cant find anything between 91 and 110. Maybe I will try a mix of the two...

we had stinger ignition out here in westminster/stanton/midway city many moons ago, you could take your distributor in there and they would chuck it on the Sun distributor machine and map the curve and modify it anyway you could think. Who knows if they are still around. But look up recurve on google and I bet there is someone out there that could do it for less than 400 clams. Dang that /6 unilite is expensive...$400 could get you a megajolt EDIS and probably everything else needed for a completely mappable curve. But its only money...

I opened up the plug gap to .060" which is the thing to do with MSDs. The Mopar Slant-Six Racing Manual saidto run 32* timing which comes to 52* with the vacuum advance. Ive got the octane down to half 91 -half 110 and it runs pretty good. I read there's not much difference in the spark curve for a performance distributor other than the RPM at which the timing is maxed out, so I think I'll save the hundreds and stick with the dist I got, for now..

:bball:

-
Back