Is there a way to store carberator for a year or 2

-

jerry6

Banned
Reaction score
so that it will work when put back in service ? Or no matter what it will need a rebuild after a few years of storage because gaskets are dried out .
I want to try a few different carburetors , but would like that the original not need a rebuild if I don' t find something better .

Fuel left in it will screw it up. If you replace all the fuel in it with a light weight oil and seal it in a plastic bag, maybe.

Fuel left in it will screw it up. If you replace all the fuel in it with a light weight oil and seal it in a plastic bag, maybe.

What kind of lightweight oil ? Something like transmission oil ?

3-in-1 . Mineral oil could work too.

thats what I do WD-40

never hade problem and carb work great after sitting foe a while

I have carbs that sit for years and always work great when needed.

I drain all the fuel.

Spray them out with carb cleaner.

Hit them with a little oil (3-1, WD-40 really depends on which I find first when digging through my crap)

I spray mine down with fogging oil, seal them up with a large zip lock, and put them in a box. (Assuming you emptied the fuel out of it first.)

Okay , thanks , will clean it up with carb cleaner , run some light oil in to it , block lines then fog oil it and seal it in a zip lock .
Hope it works .

Don't use Vegtable or ANY cooking oil, It will react with the fuel vapors & become sticky, kindof a funky tacky paiste like feeling, WD-40 or Blaster penitrating oil, just be careful useing cheap penitrating oils like walmart brands supertech, it has a higher consentrate of water base & i'm sure it''ll pit the carb over time, stay with a name brand, I've never used fog oil but i'm sure its good & works well too. Also make sure the ziplok bag is free & dry of moisture before sealing, you don't won't to have trapped moisture & store it in your closet where its a controlled environment.

Me and 6 high school friends have passed this 800 DP I've had around between us ever since high school. The going thing is to see how long we can keep doin it without a rebuild. I have since included a 7th friend in the loop and he has it now. It's one of them weird carburetors that speeds up everything it's ever been on. So far, it's on the original parts, kit and all and I bought it new in 1980. What we've been doing is, when it's removed, it gets turned upside down and let sit till it's dry. Then it gets sprayed down with penetratin oil and wrapped in plastic. I had it on my shelf in my gun safe almost 15 years. It's fixin to get bolted on sumffin real soon and I have no doubt it's gonna fire off and run like a sumbitch.

Gosh for the price of a kit just rebuild it.Thats what i do.

A holley sure , in my sleep . Just don't like rebuilding the Carter AVS and Thermoquad .
Much rather have it in shape with a cleaning and fill up and go

-
Back