Is There Value in Making a 'Clone'.

-

archlab

Reaction score
Description: I have 1968 B/Cuda Convertible. Originally built as a 318 / 4Speed manual car. I am considering doing some modifications to make it
into a 340-S / 4-Speed Car.

Question: Will the car get a boost in value by making it into a 340-S 'Clone'?
Or, will this be an exercise in futility?

I have a 340 that I can use, so that part of the cost is covered. However, I would like to get a good 'dollar ratio' for any changes I do. In other words; For every dollar I put into doing this, there should be a return of MUCH more than $1 = $1. In my delusional world, I would like a $1 = $2 or more return.
To be clear, I don't think this will double the value of the car, but if done, the value has to increase substantially beyond what I put into it.

Just wondering if this mod will do that. What do ya'll think?

You will be lucky to see a profit in a clone. Most are done driven by desire to own one and non number cars are hard to recoup expenses.

Agreed. Unless your doing a HEMI CUDA and a 70 model, it's not worth the expense to profit from it. You would need a super great body to start with and the interior should be sweet as well.

Do it for yourself and no one else.

Making a clone or tribute does not add anything IMO the the final product other then what someone is willing to pay. Doubling you money would be tough unless you started very cheap to begin with. My car will be somewhat cloned to a 340 but will not be anywhere near that value wise when done. But it will be worth more then a stock one. Unless the stock one is a real survivor cream puff and then I wouldn't touch it.

Building a car for profit? Only on TV.

Build a car for yourself. If that 340 floats your boat, go for it.

Build a car for yourself. If that 340 floats your boat, go for it.

x2
exactly what I was going to say.
Cars should be built for enjoyment. I enjoy the hobby, and expect to lose money on some deals, but at least I can get some money back out of it, unlike buying fishing lours or golf clubs.

I feel the only increase you will see is from the 340 and any NOS Formula S parts.Which will be hard to find.If your not doing this for yourself?Leave it be.

Built a car the way you want to have it and enjoy it. If you want a clone, do it, but not for profit.

Well, then maybe it's just better to sell the 340 & the other 340-S items I have...for profit.

Now let me throw this out at ya: Will the value be increased by swapping out the 318 for the 340?

BTW, I AM doing this for myself, but I would be remiss to do work that doesn't consider the concept of 'return'.

Build a car for yourself.

If your not building it for yourself or for the love of the car, then why bother?

If your only in it for the money then get out now! Sell it to someone that really wants it.

I did that with mine, /6 auto 68 rag top. Basicly cloned a 340-s without the badges. Lot more fun to drive, and alot more looks at shows. But at the end of the day it;s still a /6 car. I might have uped the value a little, but nowhere near a real car.

BTW, I AM doing this for myself, but I would be remiss to do work that doesn't consider the concept of 'return'.

Not if your really building it for yourself. If your worried about the return then buy a finished car, you will always spend more building one from scratch.

If the car has the original 318 in it, I wouldn't touch it. The 340's and 318's look alike anyhow.

Not if your really building it for yourself. If your worried about the return then buy a finished car, you will always spend more building one from scratch.

Agree from experience!

With all the good info already on here, I would say you should ask yourself some questions- Why did you buy the car in the first place? Too good a deal to pass up? A car you wanted for a long time? Specifically to turn a profit? If you bought in real low to start, and the car does NOT need an extensive resto, then chances are you'll make more than your in it for. ANY major $$$ should be spent because you want the end product- 318 car or S clone- because if your an investor not an enthusiast, I think you bought into the wrong end of 'Old Cars as a nest egg". If you have a dream car, but this isn't it, use it as trading fodder to get to what you want, and save yourself a lot of disappointment. What do you want?:read2:

Archlab wheres the pictures of the car??? A 68 ragtop 4 speed 318 barracuda is a hard to find model.You didnt say if you had the original motor trans etc.If you do make that car as nice as you can and sell it to a numbers matching mopar guru in the hemming's magazine or something.If it is a numbers matching car with that combo you might be surprised at how much it could be worth to the right person.Today the clone thing is like a worn out record!Just my .02 cents worth.

Value in a clone, probably not, but thats not why you buy or make a clone. Thats not why i bought mine.

The "Super Bee" is a clone, just a 318 Coronet 440 in reality, that someone painted sublime and put a 440 in.

Value to me, because after all his work i was able to buy it for $12000, a real one would have been 4 times that much. Which i could never afford.

I dont have to really worry about driving it, as a daily driver, because in actuallity, its still really only a Coronet 440, that looks and sounds awsome, and only a real mopar guy will know if he looks at the VIN. I just bought it to drive and enjoy, gotta finish the interior. Hopefully the guy that couldnt finish it will see it around sometime.

If you want to maximize value, build it as close to stock as you can. People are more likely to buy and pay a premium for unmodified cars.

Building a clone could actually turn people off.

(Like was said above…. Some clones do bring money like a 70 Hemi cuda clone… But you are dealing with an A body)

'Clones' have become more accepted in the last few years and some are holding well for values....BUT it will never be worth as much as a 'real' one...
If you build it for yourself it shouldn't matter, but I can understand you still want a return on your investment.
Cars that usually hold more value are the ones built right, have more options, are a desireable color combo...the more people like it the more it should be worth.
Just rememeber 'money doesn't know if it is a Hemi or a 318'....it all costs roughly the same. (to build)
I built this 68 Formula S clone for a customer...correct 68 dated 340 4 speed powertrain, 150 speedo, console, correct rad, PS, disc brake front end SBP, 340 - S hood inserts, badges/stripes/emblems.373 8 3/4...was a white/blue 318/column 904, 7 1/4 rear...only the VIN showed it wasn't a true S car.
It also won 1st place Clone/Restified class Mopars at the Strip 08.
Well..the customer sold it at a local auction...price was pretty good but I think he still must have lost....

Toms 2.jpg

Toms.jpg

Clone or not...that's a Helluva Car.

I think I may do it, or at the very least, just swap in the 340.
But generally, I think I agree w/ the overwhelming concensus that the stock
setup is the best way to go.

Now whaddya'll think about just a straight 340 swap (no clone stuff),just the 340. Better than a 318/ 4spd? I think that 340 is beckoning me to do something...this seems like a good candidate.

I'll dig up some photos & try to post 'em. Somehow I've gotta get them on a website. Or is there a straight 'cut-n=paste' that I could do?

Why would you want to clone a Formula S Cuda?? You can put all of the Formula S options on the car you have and just not call it a Formula S. That's what I did with the 66 in my avatar. I wanted all of the good Formula S stuff like the commando motor and 8 3/4", I just didn't badge it to be a Formula S. IMO, adding a 340 to a 318 car is a no brainer, it will boost the value by the price of the 340, same for the 8 3/4" rear, front sway bar, tach and 150 speedo and other items you may add. All of those items have value whether installed in your car or not. Installing them will boost the value by the price and rarity of the items, not the fact that you were cloning a Formula S. Like my man "The Burger King" said.... Have it your way!!! Good luck with your project, Geof

Good points, Geof. But them 340-S Hood Inserts are just killin' me by sitting around on the shelf...
Got the 8.75 in it (came from the factory that way), 150mph speed is also on a shelf (but will get used), might start looking @ that 340 swap.

150 mph speedometer was optional on a 1968 Formula S…..

Side emblems and the hood call out will make your car look like a Formula S.

-
Back