Is This Cam Streetable?

-
Not that my comments might help anything at all but I run a lunati 60405. Similar but hyrdo flat.
I run a 4:30 gear. 30" tire. And no problems at all on the street.

Hahahahaha yup

No ****!!!

My 340 with a 528 mechanical, you know the one with 241 at .050, doesn't act like a petulant child in the candy aisle, with a bad attitude and blubbering all over the place when I leave a light applying the clutch. I definitely don't have to REV it up to 2500+ to leave a light. It won't be like a fricken light switch for gods sake. His cam shot JFK, get out of here with it... beyond dumb!

Build that engine with a true 10.5-10.75 at slap a 230 or smaller cam in it. Good luck with that on pump swill.

I'm get'n too old. lol but I still run 4.56 gear on the street. lol
add some gear and have fun, it will get you to school just fine.

No ****!!!

My 340 with a 528 mechanical, you know the one with 241 at .050, doesn't act like a petulant child in the candy aisle, with a bad attitude and blubbering all over the place when I leave a light applying the clutch. I definitely don't have to REV it up to 2500+ to leave a light. It won't be like a fricken light switch for gods sake. His cam shot JFK, get out of here with it... beyond dumb!

Build that engine with a true 10.5-10.75 at slap a 230 or smaller cam in it. Good luck with that on pump swill.

This is why I hate commenting on "Pick me a cam threads". Far too subjective. I figured I'd try to help based on the OP's comment of "no experience driving a carbureted engine of this caliber on public roads"

This is also the beauty of the internet--zero F's given here upon disagreement with others. J.Rob

No ****!!!

Your cam with it's slow lobes and 112 LSA and lash factored in will tame that cam way down compared to the cam OP is looking at. J.Rob

To the OP since this is still in the planning stages ever thought about gonna 408, will make the cam and gear a better match.

Your cam with it's slow lobes and 112 LSA and lash factored in will tame that cam way down compared to the cam OP is looking at. J.Rob

I don't disagree with you. I do have it lashed much tighter than the factory specs.

The car has a 245/60/14 tire on it and 3.23 gears. It's far from soggy down low.

The Op's car is a 4 gear and that allows a lot of leeway in cam selection as the auto trans drag down at idle isn't an issue.

Like any engine, it needs a good tune up on it, otherwise, it's going to be a bear to drive. That cam would be raspy, but, not ridiculous in that engine. If having a raspy set up isn't something he wants, the whole combo needs a little re-engineering to run on pump swill.

That cam is bigger than my big block cam with less LSA. It's going to run hot but Streetability is a subjective term.

As an engine builder I get asked this question almost every day. "What cam should I run?"

I read your post and there is not near enough info to give you what I feel would be an accurate answer. What carb? What intake? Then there are the barrage of subjective questions I ask like : What is the quickest car you've been in or driven? What is your daily driver? How will you primarily use the car? Street? Dragstrip? Commute to work on nice days? How long is the commute? How much bumper to bumper traffic? What fuel do you plan to pump into it day after day? etc..

Just by what is in bold above has me thinking you are younger and don't have much experience with an old school style musclecar. To make a long winded explanation shorter--YES that cam will more than likely be too temperamental for the 99% of the time you don't have your foot into the carpet. With the parts you have layed out with a stock stroke 360 the cam will not be your limiting factor. Go with a much smaller cam for much better driveability. I am talking about off idle torque and part throttle "tip-in" , idle quality (plugs NOT loading up), cold start, and overall driveability which equals ENJOYMENT.

Provide more info and receive better info. J.Rob

I apologize, carb I'll use would be a Holley 750 dp to start with. Leaning towards mechanical secondaries. Intake will be a port-matched performer rpm, I figure that's the best compromise. Fuel economy isn't my main concern btw as I'll probably drive it maybe 3 times a week; always 93 octane, mostly on a parkway but ill probably catch five red lights there and five back on average when I reach an industrial area or shopping area. Quickest car I've driven and my daily till last month was a 2013 Mustang GT, tune/cobra jet intake & throttle body/American racing LT's/hi flows/xpipe/borla mufflers/3.73's. MT82 trans. Never been on the dyno but it worries any car that's not high 10's or better on the street. I've seen mod lists like mine but with drag suspension & slicks trap 120+ mph. I have a lot of seat time, very familiar with the power but it's down for a suspension build (handling stuff; watts link, shocks/struts, springs, camber plates, etc.). Anyway, I'd like at least as much power as that at the wheels with this Duster. Tire is a 245/60-15 all season as it sits, so its currently 26.6 inches and it drove fine with electrical issues qhich led to weak spark & a cam in the 360 that looked to be a half inch lift and decent duration, edelbrock performer intake (not rpm series) and a 750 edelbrock carb. I was going to get wider 17 inch wheels & put a 275 on it by the time this 360 goes in, I was thinking a 275/40-17 Toyo Proxes TQ (cheap drag radial) which would be 25.8 inches tall according to tire rack.

This proposed cam is rated 2600 up right? The cam grinder is telling you allready that this cam has problems below 2600.Well with 3.55s and 27s, this makes 22mph. Think about that.
Do you really want to rev it up and slip it out, every single time you take off?
What if traffic slows to some sub-22 mph, and that big cam goes blubbery?
Now let's say you are just accelerating to a 35 mph cruising speed. Well, that would be 2970rpm in 2nd, which is a little buzy, so you drop it into 3rd/2166 which puts you back in the no-go zone for that cam.
The point is this;If you have a stick-car,3.55s, and you drive like I do(normally), there had better be some punch from idle to 3000.Street-Tuning a cam that is operating in reversion,With the Dcr jumping up and down; is a PITA.

I usually drive standards at 2,500-4,500 rpm cruising around & I shift a lot and probably drive hard once or twice every other time im in my cars to be honest, race sometimes on weekends. My tire diameter with this engine should be just under 26 inches, & Ive always taken the cam rating as meaning the engine isn't going to really feel like its in the powerband below that...2600 rpm in my case. Im fine with feathering the clutch once or twice leaving stoplights. Also someone mentioned idle & drivability, im fine with a rough idle im assuming an engine like this will idle at 1,000 rpm or so?

Ok, have you looked at one that is one step below yours, it does seem a little more street friendly: (One I was really thinking of getting at first... Still might with my next build)
Part# 20200712
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/290
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 231/239
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .535/.550
LSA/ICL: 110/106
RPM Range: 2200-6200
According to Lunati's website: Likes up- graded intake, carb and exhaust. Needs 2800 RPM stall converter in most cases. Requires 9.5:1 compression.

The way I see it, I could do three things as far as this series of cams goes, help me out here guys; 1. The original 243/251 @ 0.050 cam I mentoned, or 2. this 231/239 @ 0.050 cam, or 3. said cam with a higher rocker arm ratio. 1.6, or 1.65?

Do you guys think 750 is a good place to be on the carb, regardless? Am I going to want some extra adjustability like hp series type stuff? Again, doing a port-matched intake (is there some kind of smaller single plane for these?) & cnc ported heads hopefully a 2.080 valve at least, 5 angles regardless. What is a good port size for eddie rpms or pro comps for maybe leaving some port velocity on the table, 200-210 cc? and is that attainable with these heads? How far should I go with them, for you guys who have them worked over? I will have the shop put them on the flow bench.

Also. While i'm at it....what kind of spring pressure am I looking at here & what springs would you engine gurus run? Im going with good locks and possibly some titanium retainers, I like the idea of a fairly lightweight valve train, not all the way race-built, still stainless steel valves but maybe sodium-filled exhaust valves too..? I'm using Scat pro series I-beams, they're beefy & still pretty light, come with ARP bolts, guy from Scat told me they're rated for 7,500 rpm and 700-750 hp but I figure with the weight lost there & in the valve train to a certain extent, it'll be fairly snappy even with a large cam?

big cam is like a dump valve on turbo cars. cool at first, but then its only enoying(spell??)

in the long run, you will be most pleased With a smaller cam (2steps actually) than you first desided. beenthere.

If you only have those 2 options, I vote for #2
personally I would choose a cam With said numbers and a bit smaller LSA to get the powerband where you need it. Hughes cam in the 235 area.

my 2 c. good Luck.

-
Back