is this crazy or what??????? lol????????

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
as a few know, i bought a 70 340 4-speed duster out of osceola nebraska. i have been trying to get it shipped for a month now, to no avail.................

i have come to the conclusion of taking a bus out there and driving the car back to va......................... i know that i have not even seen the car in person, but i have high hopes of it making the trip with a few things checked before i start the trip. i know, i know, it sounds crazy, but i cannot afford to go any higher with the price of shipping. i am quoted at 700.00 now. i was at 600.00, but noone would transport it. then went up to 700, now the transport company is telling me that i may have to pay more to get it moved.

i figure, if something stupid needs to be fixed on the way, i can deal with that, cause i would have to replace it anyway, whether here or there.lol

come on guys, give me some encouragement.lmfao

i just hate the bus trip part of it. i would rather be broke down on the side of the road than sitting on the greyhound bus

But it will be worth it. It does sound like a fun trip

Do it!

It's not that long of a bus ride. I spent 4 days on a greyhound cross country and 2 days on one from Seattle to LA once. Some of the grossest people I have seen were on a Greyhound. Like the old woman that looked like a Russian immigrant that peed on her little dog and then let it run up and down the bus and the weird blind smelly guy that was missing a few pretty important teeth, looked like a dieing goat (we named him Goatboy), had a weird stain all over the crotch of his sweat pants and talked/yelled at himself. Then there was the cracked out lady that jumped out the window and ran away into the woods somewhere in Montana.

It will be fun!

1250 miles(each way), about $500 in fuel, and 2 long days. Ive done 1000 miles to pick up motors. I just couldnt do the bus thing. any pics of the car?

take the train! forget the bus. the clothes on your back should be enough, use the room to pack more tool's. get AAA, worth the price just for the maps, pays for it's self if you need a tow, G.P.S. if you have one. cell phone and charger! oh yea MORE TOOLS!

i just wish that i knew someone that was halfway in between, just in case i needed to pay for some help.lol..... anyone?????????? just in case, as a backup plan

i just wish that i knew someone that was halfway in between, just in case i needed to pay for some help.lol..... anyone?????????? just in case, as a backup plan

you could start a new thread, post your rout and see who would be along the way I am sure you will find many members here willing to help you out if you run into any trouble

well, i thought that everyone on here would flip when i posted this, but i see that you all are just like me. mentally at least.lol

pics are under cars for sale on here. sorry, i do not know how to post the ones he sent me

you could start a new thread, post your rout and see who would be along the way I am sure you will find many members here willing to help you out if you run into any trouble

yea, but i wont have access to a computer.

they could pm you there phone # before you leave and there are public computers in library's, coffee shop's, even some burger king's,

Oh yeah! Go for it! These are stories that once you finally return - broke and beaten down, that you'll talk about for a lifetime!

Drove 2000 miles with my life's possesions crammed into my first 68 Barracuda. Slept in the car. AM radio sometimes. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Grant

OK, wife just told me to increase the likelihood of it happening again, I would have to be single again.... oh well.

Has the car been driven any moderate distance lately? My philosophy is that if it will make it to the next town without incident,it will make it cross country.

Pretty much exactly the same time last year,I bought my Dart in L.A. and drove it 2000 miles back to Canada.The car had been parked outside and had'nt been started for several months but it had been maintained regularly and driven occasionally before that so I felt it would probably make it although the owner thought I was a bit insane.

I spent a few hours going over the car first,checked fluids,hoses,wiring,cap+rotor,tire pressure,etc.Ran it up to temperature and checked for leaks and made sure engine temp was stable,took a short drive and checked brakes hubs and tires for excessive heat or unusual noises.All was ok so I went for it.

Only problem was one of the two older back tires,which I knew were slightly dryrotted,had a belt break the second day and started to shake a bit so I replaced both of those but that was the only real problem.

I'd give it a go.

yea, i am now trying to see if there is a train that runs from the east coast to towards the west coast. or i could just jump on one of those coal carrying trains for a free ride.lol

keep going to Calif. find some peeps there and get a pt job..work on car then come home. write a story for the magazines..duster 4 speed road trip USA.

well, the guy drove it from one spot to his house down the road. he siad it was fine. that was four years ago. but it has been inside since then, and he does start it and all once in a while. he said the the only problem is that the car doesnt like to hold a idle, from sitting. but once i get on the highway, i do not need idle.lol geez i am nuts. other than that, well,,,,he still thinks i am nuts............but i don't dis-agree

it is a 1,224 mile trip from door to door.

You should kind of plan out your return route, post it here and see if some members are along the way! What town is the car in?

-
Back