is this crazy or what??????? lol????????

-
I bought a cheap airline ticket online. 237 bucks one way. 4 different planes to get from Greenville SC to Seattle WA. Drive home was 2854 miles. My trip was early October though. This aint the right time of year for it.

Sent you a PM. I might be your 1/2 way point.
yea, thank you for the kindness, but my trip is more north. i will be on 64 west through illinois and missouri, then to 70 west through iowa, to rt 29 north into nebraska

car is in osceola nebraska. my return home would be 29 south then 70 east to 64 east to 77 in w.v. which would bring me out to towards kingsport tennesee

well, the guy drove it from one spot to his house down the road. he siad it was fine. that was four years ago. but it has been inside since then, and he does start it and all once in a while. he said the the only problem is that the car doesnt like to hold a idle, from sitting. but once i get on the highway, i do not need idle.lol geez i am nuts. other than that, well,,,,he still thinks i am nuts............but i don't dis-agree

it does'nt sound like it drove too far,which is'nt too reassuring,but the main problem I find from cars that have sat,especially those with disc brakes but drums too,is the calipers either are tight or tighten up after the brakes have been used a couple times.Either way,you'll know within 10 minutes or so if you stop and feel your wheels to see if they're hot if you have'nt noticed the car stopping on its own from a slow roll already.Only fix for that if you want to drive the car is to rebuild or replace the caliper.

Also,if the emergency brake has been left on for a long time or not used then applied,the cables often stick on and you have to manually release them inside the drum and possibly disconnect them from the shoes if they wont retract.If they have'nt been used for a long time,don't even think about trying to use them because they will stick on and start dragging.

Check the tires by feeling the tread area and sidewalls for lumps and bulges and inflate (or deflate) for proper air pressure.

i am trying to figure how many mpg i'll get with the car????????????????????? anyone got any ideas???????? i think stock 340 manual trans. i wont beat on it till i get into my state again..lol

take your time don't be in a hurry to get back, stay off the interstates for the first few hundred miles keeping your speed down and stop and check the car out every half hour or so until you are sure it is going to make it O.K. dont forget to check ALL the fluids before you go to far, rear dif & trans, as well as radiator, oil, and brake fluid, stop at an auto parts store and pick up new belts,& hoses, (your going to want to change them when you get home any way and this way you will have them if you need them) hose clamps, coolant, and once you get it out on the highway just cruise at 50 or so dont try to push it to hard and you and the car should be fine

5 or 6 years ago my son and I flew out to Kansas City, MO (from Macon, GA). Bought him a Dodge Dakota p/u and drove it home - 1,000 mi. or so. It was fairly stressful. Every squeak and rattle had me wondering "is this where it leaves me walking"? It never did and has been a good truck ever since.

If it where me, since the car hasn't been driven in a long while... I would rather drive a truck out there and tow it home with a tow dolly.

If it hasn't been driven in a while, belts could break, hoses pop a hole, thermostat stick, etc. etc. Sorry to sound like that, but it would still be a trip to talk about and you wouldn't have the stress and/or potential break downs.
C

well, funds are pretty much dried up. and i priced a u-haul one way, and it was almost 950.00 at that point, i would be at a transport company, and that did not even include gas.lol i hear you though

I wouldnt be afraid to drive it people made it cross country in old beat model T's during the depression

I would deffinately carry some extra parts (ballast resistor, igntion box, starter relay, etc.) and a small tool kit with me.

You're nuts!

Maybe in the summer, but never at this time of year.

As far as u-haul is concerned, get one where you live. That way its only $60 a day. If it takes you 2 days out and 2 days back, thats only $240. They really rape you when you rent them one way.

As a veteran of a couple of these road trips, (PA with a Mazda p/u and Texas for my Cuda), I'd say go for it. My only regret is that I trailered the Cuda instead of driving it. Still, you don't always know what you're getting into and there is some comfort in making the drive in a vehicle you know will make the trip. Roadside breakdowns can be costly and you usually can't search for the best price. As to the cost, it may be cheaper to have it shipped. Hotels and food add up and if you take along another person, add those costs in as well.

As to the crazies on the bus, well.....

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2008/07/31/greyhound-transcanada.html

I'd take the plane to save the time.

it would be neat to have some members with signs on the side of the road cheering you on! go for it! :)

Remember when we were 16 with our first cars, most of them were not the greatest and could break down at anytime but we didn't car it was a new car in our eye's.....go for it...worst case..it will bring back some long lost memories LOL.
AL

Didn't Cudachick have a map or something with some of the members locations on it? This might be a huge help!

everytime i go to write down someones info, by the time put two letters down, the page goes back to a pic of the world

i AM IN SOUTHERN ILLINOIS AND FROM VA. IF I CAN HELP WITH TRAILER IN TOW LET ME KNOW. STEVE 618 822 6031. WHERE ARE YOU IN VA? I WAS IN CULPEPER.

now i just need to find someone near lincoln nebraska to tow it halfway to you.lol

when I bought my Fairlane I drove it from LA to Phoenix. Was only about 500 miles. The car had been sitting for a year or so when I bought it. I flew to LA and did the Supershuttle thing so I bought no tools. Seller left me a basic tool set in the trunk as well as the old hoses and belt that was on the car. He left a set of new points in the console. Had no issues until I came to a serious hill, think the carb was gummed up from sitting because it was popping and sputtering. I would say if you could make sure there was enough members along the route that could help, just in case, to go for it.....
but i can say it was a sinking feeling when it first acted up climbing the first steep hill....

well, i got to find someone in the omaha/lincold ne area that would trailer it to meet "dusterdowns" half way to illinois, cause then it is only 10 hours from me, and i would feel more comfortable to do the trip

-
Back