Is this Duster overpriced?

-

MMRJR

Reaction score
I am looking at this car, and I like what I see, but it seems like to me that this car is way too overpriced? Am I missing something? The car is being offered for sale by a classic car dealer in Florida, and I am located in Wisconsin. I would appreciate your comments, good and bad, about this particular car. Thanks,

Used 1972 Plymouth Duster For Sale

I think so by 5-8K. No underside shots to boot. Lack of description.
The problem is that it can cost you that much to do build it when you farm the work out or so very little of it. If you none of the work, it can cost more to build.

What is needed is a personal up close look in around and under the car with as much information as possible about the drive train and the history.

I believe you can do as well as that car appears to be for a bit less.

Would like to see the VIN to see if it is a true 340 auto car Or a clone.
That is a big factor in the price.
As stated by Rumblefish "no underside shots to boot and lack of a complete description.
If you are really into the car airfare is cheep this time of year, Go check it out and try to make a deal with the seller.
Always remember that any car may be overpriced but its really how much you are willing to spend to make your self happy.
Good luck and let us know how you make out.
BTW the car looks nice :)

You're better off buying a car from the people on this website. You can check their ratings and they usually don't mark their cars "up" , in fact most probably take a loss. Treblig

Almost a nice time of year for a vacation in FL with a car inspection side trip.

Agree on VIN check and validating options match tag.

The seller's website currently notes the price is "$5050.00 above average".
I agree with others posts, you really need the VIN to confirm it's a true 340 car as well as additional information and pics.

For that kind of money, I would at least expect new battery cables.

Definitely need to see the car in person. I would also think that for that price it would have decent rear springs, it appears to have bogus aftermarket long shackles to compensate for tired worn out leaf springs.

It's worth it if it is a numbers matching car in the correct color, and your going to make an offer

You're better off buying a car from the people on this website. You can check their ratings and they usually don't mark their cars "up" , in fact most probably take a loss. Treblig
This would be your best choice, buy far. Getting the car back to you can be pricey, I would not want to drive the car that far without living with it first. Volo Auto Museum are car brokers many a fine car there, a lot closer, Madison to Chicago easy drive. The Museum is nice, lots to see and buy. Here are a few pics of what they have....they may not have them NOW. The prices are pretty much high for my wallet, pretty much the same when you deal with car high-in car dealers/brokers.
Inventory | Volo Auto Museum

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3106.JPG

IMG_3105.JPG

Contact seller to get more pics of car and vin. Since it is a dealer if everything checks out offer 7k less. See if a member on here in that area can check it out for you.

it's not a 340 car..no rally dash among other things.
You really need to get up close to check out the quality which determines the value of
an A-body.

Updates to the info already posted. I've contacted the dealer twice, asking for pics of the VIN and data plate, so that I could confirm options, born with color, etc. Lots of lip service back from the dealer, but no additional photos. Our back and forth has gone on for about a week, so I'm not in a big hurry to plan a trip to Florida or to ask someone to look at the car for me. Well said, ir3333, about quality. Can't tell the quality of the work already done from the pics. Top quality equals top money, poor quality means I'll take a pass on the car.

This would be your best choice, buy far. Getting the car back to you can be pricey, I would not want to drive the car that far without living with it first. Volo Auto Museum are car brokers many a fine car there, a lot closer, Madison to Chicago easy drive. The Museum is nice, lots to see and buy. Here are a few pics of what they have....they may not have them NOW. The prices are pretty much high for my wallet, pretty much the same when you deal with car high-in car dealers/brokers.
Inventory | Volo Auto Museum

View attachment 1715236362

View attachment 1715236363

View attachment 1715236364
Last time I checked, and I check pretty regularly, VOLO didn't have a Demon or Duster in inventory. I am close enough that I would prefer to do business with VOLO or North Shore Classics in Mundelein

If you want a stock car than it's in the ballpark of asking price. They take about 40,000 to build.

I would want to do upgrades and such and for that price or even what they will likely take for it I can't. So to me it's too high.

I sold my last car for 15,000 and paid 16,00 for my current car which I have put at least another 10,000 into and I'm not done.

Bought this for $6000. 95% still original. Gives you some sort of benchmark to go by.
20160530_100038 (1).jpg

I learn something new all the time on this forum.
Thanks guys for the ongoing education of what could come on a car Or what may have not.
Cheers to all :)

If you can’t see the proof of the work done with your own eyes and with the documentation then I don’t believe it. I don’t believe any said about a car’s history. I learned my lesson with my experience purchasing a car with a classic car dealer.

If you can’t see the proof of the work done with your own eyes and with the documentation then I don’t believe it. I don’t believe any said about a car’s history. I learned my lesson with my experience purchasing a car with a classic car dealer.
I agree classic car dealers are no different then new car dealers. Just in it make the most money. I got taken by one also.

I highly doubt it's numbers matching. If it was, then I can guarantee you that the seller would make that very clear. Just like the Green Duster above, It clearly says it's an H-Code car...but nowhere does it say that it has the original engine. If it did, I'm sure he would also make that very clear. To some collectors, depending on the car, numbers matching and documentation means everything. With that being said, it doesn't mean it's not worth taking a look at. If you think it's nice and it runs good then throw out a number and go from there.

I would want too see it up close and personal. Wrong color engine, shackles on leaf springs, some odd pockets sewn onto the door panels and really rusty turn signal stalk could mean someone left the window open many times in the rain or flood, these could all be minor issues, again I would want too see it in person and confirm it's an H code.

Well I have the aluminum mc fron dr diff and I dont think those have that from what I have been told

I would want too see it up close and personal. Wrong color engine, shackles on leaf springs, some odd pockets sewn onto the door panels and really rusty turn signal stalk could mean someone left the window open many times in the rain or flood, these could all be minor issues, again I would want too see it in person and confirm it's an H code.

I'd be pulling up carpet corners on inspection as well because of that rusted signal lever.
They couldn't even put a good signal lever on it? :icon_fU:

-
Back